The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TV & Media (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Unaired Pilots on DVD (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=87659)

Extrocomp April 3 2009 08:55 AM

Unaired Pilots on DVD

Unaired Pilots of TV shows are rarely released on DVD. I can only think of 3 examples:

The Cage, which is included as the last episode on the Star Trek TOS Season 3 DVD set.
The Lost I Love Lucy Pilot, which is included as the first episode on the I Love Lucy Season 1 DVD set.
Unaired Pilot: The Tim Kring Cut, which is included in the bonus features on Disc 1 of the Heroes Season 1 DVD set.

Does anyone know of any other examples? Does anyone think other unaired pilots like the Buffy pilot and the Charmed pilot should be released on DVD?

clint g April 3 2009 09:25 AM

Re: Unaired Pilots on DVD

It would be cool and i cant exactly see a reason why un-aired pilots wouldn't included. T
I guess it comes down to if the powers that be remember that there was an un-aired plot in the first place lol

cultcross April 3 2009 09:58 AM

I can think of several reasons why the studio wouldnt' want to release Buffy's pilot :lol:
The fans would, of course, have loved it if it was added, say to the newer slimline versions of season 1, as the Buffy DVD extras suck, at least in Region 2. There's only so many times I can watch that Hepburn video.
I've never ever seen the introductory/pilot bit that was filmed for Angel, I've heard lots of the footage was used for City Of but I'd love to see it as made originally.

Savage Dragon April 3 2009 09:58 AM

I don't know, based on the few pilots I have seen as part of a test audience we should be thankful they don't get a DVD release. Although the Aquaman pilot had potential.

Chris3123 April 3 2009 01:32 PM

The original Smallville pilot can be found on the First Season DVD set.

Savage Dragon April 3 2009 01:49 PM

^Interesting. How does it differ from the one which aired?

Piper April 3 2009 02:02 PM

The 2002 attempt to remake The Time Tunnel is on Volume 2 of the original series DVD release.

od0_ital April 3 2009 02:12 PM

Birds of Prey includes the original pilot. The biggest difference between it & the one that aired was that they had a different actress for Harley Quinn.

I read a couple of weeks ago that the DVD release for Dollhouse will include the original pilot episode, which will not air on FOX.

As mentioned, the Aquaman pilot was released on a Best Buy exclusive DVD awhile back. I missed out on it.

And, not that it matters, but the Lie to Me pilot episode is still available at Best Buy, and there's at least one scene different from the aired version. And I think they had a different actress for the daughter.

Mr. Adventure April 3 2009 03:04 PM

I suppose they probably have to still pay royalties and stuff on those so that might be why they aren't more regularly distributed through official outlets.

Starbreaker April 3 2009 05:07 PM

The unaired pilot for the Dead Zone is in some releases.

I saw the unaired pilot for Smallville several years ago. Don't think it's on the DVD though.

ClayinCA April 3 2009 05:37 PM

Quote:

Chris3123 wrote: (Post 2790789)

Quote:

TheSeeker wrote: (Post 2790809)

In the original version of the pilot, Cynthia Ettinger played Martha Kent; in the aired version, of course, it was Annette O'Toole.

Vasquez Rocks April 3 2009 06:18 PM

ALF's original pilot is included on the dvd. The biggest difference is they replaced the actor who played the military commander at the end and that actor was Blackie Dammett better known as Anthony Kiedis' father in real life.

Mr Light April 3 2009 06:21 PM

A few months ago they released a DVD that had both of Dane Cook's unaired sitcom pilots. They were relatively funny.

ssosmcin April 3 2009 06:34 PM

These TV shows that I have include unaired versions of the pilot episodes:

Star Trek
The Twilight Zone
Lost in Space
The Time Tunnel
Land of the Giants
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (color version of aired pilot was supposed to include b&w unaired edit on the current set, but Fox screwed it up)
The Invaders
Gilligan's Island
The Prisoner (Network PAL DVDs)
Smallville
Heroes
The Man From UNCLE

and for $3 I bought as public domain DVD with the unaired Mr. Ed pilot.

Chris3123 April 3 2009 07:00 PM

Quote:

ClayinCA wrote: (Post 2791425)
Quote:

Chris3123 wrote: (Post 2790789)

Quote:

TheSeeker wrote: (Post 2790809)

In the original version of the pilot, Cynthia Ettinger played Martha Kent; in the aired version, of course, it was Annette O'Toole.

Also, in the the original pilot:
  • Clark's ship is quite different
  • Slight dialogue difference: Jonathan says "Looks like Smallville finally won" instead of "Looks like Smallville won again".
  • Additional footage and more music
Link