The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   General Trek Discussion (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   When did the Federation outlaw genetic engineering (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=87267)

Gotham Central March 31 2009 02:07 AM

When did the Federation outlaw genetic engineering

There seems to be some contradictory evidence that eugenics is illegal in the Federation. Unnatural selection clearly shows federation citizens conducting eugenics. In "Masterpiece Society" Picard was more concerned about undermining the integrity of the colony than the fact that we was introducing genetic supermen into Federation society.

So one wonders when the Federation introduced the flat prohibition of eugenics?

Aquehonga March 31 2009 02:18 AM

Re: When did the Federation outlaw genetic engineering

Dunnough!?!?:confused:

The UFP is highly over-rated anyway.

Kind of a dumb irrational ban if you ask me.

Yet another retarded Fed move, like their asinine agreement with the :rommie:s over cloaks:brickwall:

The UFP's a horde of self-righteous do-gooders spewing fortune cookie wisdom off a soapbox & live by a cliched ABC After-School Special mentality.

davidant32 March 31 2009 02:41 AM

It was probably heavily regulated after all those Eugenics Wars when the genetic supermen tried to take over the world and whatnot (remember the 1990s???)

Aquehonga March 31 2009 02:45 AM

Bill Clinton was a genetic superman:confused:

Count Zero March 31 2009 03:33 AM

Well, in ENT it was already outlawed on Earth, apparently shortly after the Eugenics Wars. So, it stands to reason that it was banned in the Federation from the day it was founded. However, there are some inconsistencies in TNG episodes because the strict ban was only thought up later as a part of Bashir's story line.

davidant32 March 31 2009 03:45 AM

Quote:

Aquehonga wrote: (Post 2777341)

haha you can't see it? the writing's on the wall... :lol:

miraclefan March 31 2009 04:51 AM

Quote:

davidant32 wrote: (Post 2777598)
Quote:

Aquehonga wrote: (Post 2777341)

haha you can't see it? the writing's on the wall... :lol:

Don't you mean, ''The writing's on the dress'';)

davidant32 March 31 2009 04:54 AM

well, something's on the dress, to be sure:p

apologies for steering this thread off track

kythe March 31 2009 02:23 PM

The ban on genetic engineering must be a pretty detailed document defining exactly what they mean, not just a simple statement that it isn't allowed. For instance, Spock was genetically engineered and I'm sure that could be said of any other hybrid people. That is allowed. And would they allow a bit of tweaking to eliminate naturally occurring birth defects?

I completely understand and agree with the ban on creating "genetic supermen" but realistically, where do they draw the line?

CorporalClegg March 31 2009 03:05 PM

Quote:

Aquehonga wrote: (Post 2777202)
Kind of a dumb irrational ban if you ask me.

No it isn't. Anyone who thinks this likely fails to see the big picture.

Timo March 31 2009 03:22 PM

Quote:

Dunno - sometime after ST:NEM, perhaps?

I mean, there's no evidence of a "flat ban" in those instalments of Trek that we actually saw. All we get is the supposed rule against producing supermen - a rule that first finds expression in "Dr. Bashir, I Presume", a case where a superman of sorts has indeed been produced.

Now, one would think that what was done at the Darwin Genetic Research Station in "Unnatural Selection" would be against the ban, too, since the results were supermen. But that was in controlled laboratory conditions. We never hear there would be a ban on genetic research. All we hear is that the UFP doesn't allow for unregulated application of that research on the average Joe or Jane.

Timo Saloniemi

Crewman47 March 31 2009 03:34 PM

Quote:

The ban on genetic engineering must be a pretty detailed document defining exactly what they mean, not just a simple statement that it isn't allowed. For instance, Spock was genetically engineered and I'm sure that could be said of any other hybrid people. That is allowed. And would they allow a bit of tweaking to eliminate naturally occurring birth defects?

I completely understand and agree with the ban on creating "genetic supermen" but realistically, where do they draw the line?
/\ I agree with this as I just reading up on Bashir entry on Memory Alpha where it says that when he was young he had problems with keeping up with children his own and was mentally slow at learning, just like a lot of people are today. You'd think that by the 24th century there'd be a legal medical procedure that would cure any mental deficiences that are found in Human children that wouldn't come under the Genetic Engineering law as it's basically fixing a flaw in someones genes not improving them.

Sci March 31 2009 04:17 PM

Quote:

Gotham Central wrote: (Post 2777130)
There seems to be some contradictory evidence that eugenics is illegal in the Federation. Unnatural selection clearly shows federation citizens conducting eugenics. In "Masterpiece Society" Picard was more concerned about undermining the integrity of the colony than the fact that we was introducing genetic supermen into Federation society.

"Dr. Bashir, I Presume?" firmly establishes that the ban existed at least as far back as Julian Bashir's childhood in the 2340s, and ENT's Augments arc seems to imply that the Federation essentially inherited United Earth's ban on genetic engineering. It's a ret-con, pure and simple. The novel The Buried Age by Christopher L. Bennett reconciles the issue in passing by mentioning that the colony in "The Masterpiece Society" had been given special dispensation by the Federation government to engage in genetic engineering.

Gotham Central April 1 2009 12:03 AM

Quote:

Timo wrote: (Post 2778968)
Quote:

Dunno - sometime after ST:NEM, perhaps?

I mean, there's no evidence of a "flat ban" in those instalments of Trek that we actually saw. All we get is the supposed rule against producing supermen - a rule that first finds expression in "Dr. Bashir, I Presume", a case where a superman of sorts has indeed been produced.

Now, one would think that what was done at the Darwin Genetic Research Station in "Unnatural Selection" would be against the ban, too, since the results were supermen. But that was in controlled laboratory conditions. We never hear there would be a ban on genetic research. All we hear is that the UFP doesn't allow for unregulated application of that research on the average Joe or Jane.

Timo Saloniemi

Actually, the situation in Unnatural Selection was even worse since it produced augments who's very existance, no matter how benign, proved lethal to normal humans.

miraclefan April 1 2009 12:10 AM

^REALLY? man it's been a LOOONGGG time sence I saw that episode! I barely remember anything about it!