The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Battlestar Galactica & Caprica (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Battlestar Galactica 5x01: "Slowly the Hands on a Shovel" (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=87034)

Aragorn March 28 2009 10:37 AM

Battlestar Galactica 5x01: "Slowly the Hands on a Shovel"

Inspired by Gep Malakai and JonathonWally... who were inspired by me??? :p

Welcome to the grading & discussion thread for Battlestar Galactica 5x01: "Slowly the Hands on a Shovel."
***SPOILERS AHEAD***

Just a week into living off the land of new Earth, a third of Lee's village comes down with a serious illness that like nothing Cottle's ever seen before. Meanwhile, Bill finds out he's not alone, Baltar accidentally makes first contact with a female member of a native tribe and Leoben makes a startling discovery about life after death.

Chris3123 March 28 2009 10:43 AM

Re: Battlestar Galactica 5x01: "Slowly the Hands on a Shovel"

It was a decent episode. But I have to give it a Below Average because it totally ripped off the plot to Enterprise's "Interregnum". :mad:

Gep Malakai March 28 2009 10:56 AM

The Cottle subplot was a little contrived, mostly because we've seen this kind of thing before on Star Trek a million times. I did like that they were willing to avoid pulling a tidy cure out of nowhere by the end, though. Baltar's joke about Helo surviving everything was a nice touch, though knowing this show, it probably means he'll die from the infection next week. :lol:

EDIT: What was with the cutaway to Tyrol during the negotiation scene? It looked like he was digging something up, but they didn't show us what. Though that explains the title, I guess.

JonathonWally March 28 2009 11:18 AM

I thought it was funny in an odd way that of all the careers Apollo has had, he has the most trouble adjusting to being a farmer.

He was a fighter pilot, commander of a Battlestar, a Lawyer, Quorom member, President, but yet has the most trouble being a farmer.

It just goes to show that even 5 years in the writers can still surprise us with something new and exciting while the actors are still just as fresh in their roles as day 1. Something Jamie Bamber should really be commended on.

Ensign_Redshirt March 28 2009 11:30 AM

Mark my words: This show is set to become a total rip-off of "Lost" now. I'm just waiting for "the Others" to appear. :rolleyes:

Skywalker March 28 2009 11:48 AM

Well, it was okay, but I'm beginning to think that they should have stuck with their original plan and ended after four seasons. I don't see what Hotdog trying to teach cavemen how to play Pyramid has to do with anything.

JonathonWally March 28 2009 11:54 AM

Quote:

Skywalker wrote: (Post 2767549)
Well, it was okay, but I'm beginning to think that they should have stuck with their original plan and ended after four seasons. I don't see what Hotdog trying to teach cavemen how to play Pyramid has to do with anything.

I don't know, I thought it was a cool way to have an "ice breaker" thing between the Colonials and the Natives. I mean, when you're new to the neighborhood in Tribal Africa you can't just have a house party and invite the neighbors over.

It lent itself to be a more "primal" ritual type thing while showing us that these Tribal people are indeed human. It was nice how it was able to do so without being to heavy handed or preachy.

Skywalker March 28 2009 12:06 PM

Yeah, but Hotdog? Come on, are they really that hard-up for decent characters that they had to use frakking Hotdog? I guess the rumors about EJO starting to push his weight around more on the set were true. :rolleyes:

JonathonWally March 28 2009 12:15 PM

Quote:

Skywalker wrote: (Post 2767561)
Yeah, but Hotdog? Come on, are they really that hard-up for decent characters that they had to use frakking Hotdog? I guess the rumors about EJO starting to push his weight around more on the set were true. :rolleyes:

I'm with you on that, sort of.

I'm really hoping that with the loss of so many major characters some of the minor ones can really step up into larger heavier roles so RDM and company don't have to go for too much outside talent.

Ayelbourne March 28 2009 01:19 PM

Excellent

The way Helo caught that rabbit was truly inspired, not to mention hilarious.

They shouldn't have recast Athena with Eliza Dushku, though.

EstoniaKat March 28 2009 01:25 PM

Anybody know of a working torrent download for this? I've only been able to find fakes.

Lookingglassman March 28 2009 01:32 PM

Was this for real? I checked Sci Fi last night and didnt see no BSG on it?

Kelso March 28 2009 01:43 PM

Worst episode ever. This show was much better in the first two seasons. All of the characters are assholes. I didn't like the mini-series. The ending sucked. They still haven't explained that one line from episode 7 way back in 2005.

Fail.

cbspock March 28 2009 01:58 PM

Someone should really smack Apollo for coming up with the idea of creating flying motorcycles from parts of the destroyed Raptors so they could get to one of the other settlements to find the cure.

-Chris

Frontman March 28 2009 02:07 PM

Was that Starbuck reflected in that pond? It seemed to me when Lee turned his back there was a female figure outlines and looked very much like Starbuck. I'll post caps later.