The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   General Trek Discussion (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   the SECOND best VULCAN!!! (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=86337)

RobertScorpio March 22 2009 10:00 AM

the SECOND best VULCAN!!!

Yes, we all know Nimoy's Spock broke the mold. But what character has been the second best Vulcan since Spock? Mark Lenard? Kirsty Alley?

Nope...none of those. It is most definately Sheldon on BIG BANG THEORY. Best Vulcan since TOS bar none!!!

Rob

Mysterion March 22 2009 01:50 PM

Re: the SECOND best VULCAN!!!

Nimoy was second. For my money Mark Lenard was the best portrayal of a vulcan in ST.

Sheldon is a very close third.

judge alba March 22 2009 04:29 PM

have to say mark lenard was the next best vulcan way in front of any others.

kythe March 22 2009 04:45 PM

I can't go with anyone but Spock and Sarek either. They made Vulcans what they are. No one else has lived up to the standard they set.

Who is Sheldon?

RobertScorpio March 22 2009 07:59 PM

Quote:

Mysterion wrote: (Post 2741722)
Nimoy was second. For my money Mark Lenard was the best portrayal of a vulcan in ST.

I see it that way too...especially since Spock was just half/Vulcan and had those silly human emotions to deal with...

Rob

gblews March 22 2009 09:47 PM

Tim Russ' Tuvok, for my money, was easily the best Vulcan since Nimoy's Spock.

Mysterion March 22 2009 11:19 PM

Oddly enough, thinking more about it, Mark Lenard was also the best on-screen Romulan. Go figure.

The Sneeze Police March 22 2009 11:32 PM

I vote Tim Russ...

Jonas Grumby March 22 2009 11:48 PM

Best Vulcan: Mark Lenard. Or...maybe a two-way tie between Lenard and Nimoy.

Best Romulan: Mark Lenard, by far.

In fact, I do believe I even prefer Mr. Lenard's Klingon over half or more of all the others we've seen. :lol:

USS Triumphant March 22 2009 11:58 PM

If we're counting books, then Surak.

If we're only counting screen events, then it would be easier to say who wasn't a good Vulcan. Sarek, Soval, Tuvok, T'Pol, T'Pau (both versions), everyone from Amok Time, everyone from the end of ST: III, everyone from the DS9 baseball game - all good. The worst I can say for almost anyone who played a Vulcan is that they were boring. And, well, they're Vulcan, so that isn't really a problem, is it?

Ironically, if I were going to pick the worst on-screen performance of a Vulcan, it would be Surak from TOS. But even that has an excuse - he was fake!

The worst thing any of the actors do is mistake attitude for stoicism from time to time, but that's mostly the long-term actors like Russ or Blalock, and really, pretty understandable. Especially for Russ. If I were on Voyager, I'd be pissed off all the time, too. :lol:

Praetor March 23 2009 01:28 AM

Quote:

RobertScorpio wrote: (Post 2742497)
Quote:

I see it that way too...especially since Spock was just half/Vulcan and had those silly human emotions to deal with...

Rob

I tend to agree, although as far as the shows are concerned, I'd actually put Tuvok third and Saavik fourth. Maybe T'Pol can be 3.5? Maybe.

Quote:

kythe wrote: (Post 2741952)
Who is Sheldon?

Oh noes!

From the TV series 'The Big Bang Theory.' Sheldon is a main character, a Trekkie and Spock/Nimoy fan who behaves in a rather Vulcan manner.

rramarr March 23 2009 04:41 AM

Quote:

gblews wrote: (Post 2742858)
Tim Russ' Tuvok, for my money, was easily the best Vulcan since Nimoy's Spock.

I agree: Mark Lenard as Sarek, Leonard Nimoy as Spock, Tim Russ as Tuvok, and Jolene Blalock as T'Pol (nearly because of her emotions that were coming through and her romantic relationship with Trip) - otherwise I would have chosen Kristie Alley as Saavik.

deadman_uk March 24 2009 03:42 AM

My vote goes to Tuvok, the BEST vulcan, not second best :P

Rageforthemachine March 24 2009 04:23 AM

I'm going to say Selar, because nobody has mentioned her and Susie Plakson is hot.

CaptainStoner March 24 2009 04:31 AM

Quote:

I agree with that. But as much as I agree with it, I would also ad the phrase, so far...