The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Battlestar Galactica & Caprica (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Why did "Crossroads" show us a different era earth? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=86301)

hxclespaulplayer March 22 2009 01:55 AM

Why did "Crossroads" show us a different era earth?

From BSGwiki:

Quote:

The depiction of Earth includes a geographically accurate landmark: the Balize lobe of the Mississippi river delta, a feature formed between the 16th and 20th Centuries of the real-world Earth. However, no further conclusions should be inferred as the series creators deliberately avoid confirming whether Battlestar Galactica occurs in the real-world Earth's past, present, or future.
Well it would seem that BSG occured 150,000 years ago, either this was an oversight, or we might have gotten a different ending...

backstept March 22 2009 01:59 AM

Re: Why did "Crossroads" show us a different era earth?

wow . . . what an insanely small and trivial thing to nitpick

DeafPoet March 22 2009 02:01 AM

Yeah. I think Earth in "Crossroads" was the same as Earth in "Daybreak" and any further dissection of it is bordering on weird.

Mutenroshi March 22 2009 02:04 AM

I think, and I have that on good authority, that the CGI model of Earth was based on the same template...
I might be wrong though. ;)

Kelso March 22 2009 02:05 AM

They were foreshadowing the 150,000 Years Later bit.

Yeah!

chrisspringob March 22 2009 02:16 AM

Quote:

Kelso wrote: (Post 2740596)
They were foreshadowing the 150,000 Years Later bit.

Yeah!

It was a 150,000 year-long zoom out and zoom in from the RTF to Earth. It just seemed shorter to the viewer because of time dilation. But there's an easter egg on the DVD that allows you to correct for time dilation, and experience the zoom in all its 150,000 year long glory.

Magic_Al March 22 2009 02:20 AM

A continuous camera move across the galaxy (note that it WASN'T a jump) would have to be time-lapse photography covering tens of thousands of years of time. It was 150,000 years ago at the beginning of the shot and by the time the camera got to Earth it was the present.

What do I win?

EDIT: Frak, chrisspringob beat me to it

SG-17 March 22 2009 02:48 AM

Could just be an oversight on the part of the CGI department.

WeAreTheBorg March 22 2009 03:05 AM

Quote:

SG-17 wrote: (Post 2740737)

And you couldnt blame them either.

Marc March 22 2009 03:07 AM

Quote:

Think it mentioned in the RDM invterview for the final (linked in the relevant thread) that the Earth from Crossroads wasn't supposed to have clearly identifiable land masses to indiciate whether it was our Earth.

The ideas now the series has finished that the Earth of Crossroads was the Earth of the 13th Tribe but not our Earth in anyway, shape or form. Where the Colonials have settled (our earth) it to them Earth Mk II

WeAreTheBorg March 22 2009 03:08 AM

Quote:

Marc wrote: (Post 2740787)
Quote:

Think it mentioned in the RDM invterview for the final (linked in the relevant thread) that the Earth from Crossroads wasn't supposed to have clearly identifiable land masses to indiciate whether it was our Earth.

The ideas now the series has finished that the Earth of Crossroads was the Earth of the 13th Tribe but not our Earth in anyway, shape or form. Where the Colonials have settled (our earth) it to them Earth Mk II

Just the opposite, the Earth from Crossroads was designed to be instantly recognizable. The Earth from Revelations is what you are thinking of. Crossroads Earth is Daybreak Earth.

SG-17 March 22 2009 03:09 AM

I thought that because we see no landmasses on the Cylon Earth, but we do on the Crossroads and Daybreak Earth that we can assume that the Crossroad's Earth is our Earth.

Phily B March 22 2009 03:18 AM

Yeah, they used a picture of current day instead of the picture of Earth from 150,000 years ago.

How dare they!

hxclespaulplayer March 22 2009 06:11 AM

I know it's splitting hairs and I don't really care either way, but since the info has been on bsgwiki for a while, i thought there may have been some time difference for an alternate ending - that only an eagle-eyed viewer (or bsgwikier) would notice the difference. Though, I bet the viewers living along the Mississippi delta are pissed! :p