The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Battlestar Galactica & Caprica (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   NOT Our Earth (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=85723)

BolianAuthor March 16 2009 08:12 PM

NOT Our Earth

Folks, maybe some of you have stumbled upon this, but just in case...

I found this AWESOME article, where this guy comprehensively examines the astronomy of BSG... check it out...

http://www.galactica-science.com/bat...e-big-picture/

backstept March 16 2009 08:48 PM

Re: NOT Our Earth

very interesting . . .

Kchunda March 16 2009 08:49 PM

Wow - that's a lot to absorb. . . there goes the rest of my day! :p

Phily B March 16 2009 10:05 PM

People keep bringing this up, mainly because the CGI guys made a hell of a job covering up the surface with clouds, even if our Earth was shown clear as day.

Brent March 16 2009 10:36 PM

Interesting, but I still think it was our Earth.

Cid Highwind March 16 2009 11:04 PM

Yes... "Nuked Earth" was necessarily clouded because the fact that the landmass consists of glass and ashes without any vegetation would have been visible otherwise. :)

Not saying there won't be another Earth this late in the game, but a clouded CGI planet is not proof of that.

Kchunda March 16 2009 11:28 PM

Something that really caught my attention was the discussion on how the stars in Home, Pt II do not, have never and will never match our constellations. . . so it couldn't be our Earth that they found - although the star fields do hint that a lot of Season 4 has been in the close proximity of our solar system. . .

Most likely not a clue, just "it's a TV show". . .

jadcox@mindspring.com March 16 2009 11:56 PM

Now that's just cool. Great work.

The_Beef March 17 2009 12:31 AM

An excellent find and very interesting. However, I'm more inclined to say that the SFX guys have just been seeding in the constellations to imply that the fleet was near earth, without realizing that the constellations would look different, even from a nearby star system. At least, that's what this site maintains, to tell the truth its not something I know much about. I think the SFX answer is more plausible than the "hopping back and forth in our solar system" theory, as fascinating as it may be.

BolianAuthor March 17 2009 01:09 AM

Here's a brain fart...

What if that's not even the Milky Way? What if all this is taking place in another galaxy, far, far away? A galaxy where the people call themselves humans, and a few planets are called Earth?

Lookingglassman March 17 2009 01:13 AM

I think the whole thing is Starbuck dreaming. WHen she wakes up she will be back on Caprica.

Magic_Al March 17 2009 01:15 AM

Our Earth was unambiguously shown only at the end of season three in that final galactic whiplash shot. That the Cylon Earth's contours are never seen clearly makes me think nobody went to our Earth and the season three conclusion was a dishonest tease.

Adm. Maleficent March 17 2009 02:14 AM

It's all based on a faulty assumption: that the star patterns depicted in the show are legitimate. This can only be true if the premise of the show - that these are beings coming from a different part of the galaxy in an attempt to find Earth - is false. If the premise is true, then the star patterns are not legitimate at all, but instead are the end result of the "documenters" of the events' either inability or lack of desire to depict star patterns that aren't visible from Earth's night sky.

If that's the case, it could be our Earth, and some of us have just been fooled into thinking it's not.

George Steinbrenner March 17 2009 02:23 AM

Quote:

Admiral2 wrote: (Post 2720303)
It's all based on a faulty assumption: that the star patterns depicted in the show are legitimate. This can only be true if the premise of the show - that these are beings coming from a different part of the galaxy in an attempt to find Earth - is false. If the premise is true, then the star patterns are not legitimate at all, but instead are the end result of the "documenters" of the events' either inability or lack of desire to depict star patterns that aren't visible from Earth's night sky.

Uh, I'm not exactly following this here...could you rephrase? :confused: I mean, what is this about a documentary? This isn't
, after all. ;)

troisboobs March 17 2009 03:07 AM

How uber-geeky :) Someone has too much time on their hands