The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Battlestar Galactica & Caprica (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Battlestar Galactica 4x18: "Islanded in a Stream of Stars" (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=84645)

Agent Richard07 March 6 2009 05:03 AM

Battlestar Galactica 4x18: "Islanded in a Stream of Stars"

Welcome to the grading & discussion thread for Battlestar Galactica 4x18: "Islanded in a Stream of Stars".
***SPOILERS AHEAD***

"Islanded in a Stream of Stars"

http://www.cyberspace5.net/agentrich...2200900000.jpg

"The rebel Cylons and the Colonial humans react to Hera's kidnapping while the physical condition of the Galactica continues to deteriorate." - TV.com

Robert Maxwell March 6 2009 05:06 AM

Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x18: "Islanded in a Stream of Stars"

This episode looks so depressing. I'm all over it. :D

hxclespaulplayer March 6 2009 05:53 PM

Be a bit more creative with the images - I would have put a desert island superimposed over a starscape...

SJSharksfan39 March 7 2009 01:48 AM

I hope this episode blows me away. I want to like this final set of episodes and join in the celebratory crowd here but I feel like such a downer. Just please finish the season strong. :(

DBR March 7 2009 02:09 AM

This is the first Friday since the show's break that I've been able to watch the episode over the air (as opposed to downloading it over the weekend).

I'm going to make popcorn.

Fuckin' A. :D

kipron March 7 2009 02:13 AM

Quote:

tomalak301 wrote: (Post 2685095)
I hope this episode blows me away. I want to like this final set of episodes and join in the celebratory crowd here but I feel like such a downer. Just please finish the season strong. :(

the show is as good as it has ever been, if not better.

BSG has always been about drama first, art second, mythology a distant third, and hard scifi even further behind that.

SJSharksfan39 March 7 2009 02:19 AM

Quote:

kipron wrote: (Post 2685184)
Quote:

BSG has always been about drama first, art second, mythology a distant third, and hard scifi even further behind that.

Yeah, and I appreciate that. I just want to be interested and intrigued in that drama. I feel it's been a bit stiff lately.

kipron March 7 2009 02:31 AM

Quote:

tomalak301 wrote: (Post 2685206)
Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, and I appreciate that. I just want to be interested and intrigued in that drama. I feel it's been a bit stiff lately.

it's always been a bit stiff, imho.

BSG isn't a "human" drama like SFU, much as it wants to be. But that's the price you pay for watching a story that includes politics, mythology and fantasy. Even in part.

I mean, ffs. Starbuck was having a heart to heart with her supposedly dead, incorporeal Cylon dad, Tyrol's upset because his kid isn't half robot, Roslin is struggling to be a good holy figure and when Lee gets disappointed by his father, it's because he just ordered an assasination or something.

These are not things that you'd expect everyone to really relate to. :lol:

Agent Richard07 March 7 2009 02:39 AM

Quote:

I don't know about that. It's definately strong on drama, but at the same time, it's a mixture of all the rest. As much as I like Six Feet Under and think it's one of the best dramas ever made, I wouldn't want BSG to be that. BSG is still scifi and I wouldn't want it to pretend that that aspect of the show isn't important.

kipron March 7 2009 02:52 AM

Quote:

Agent Richard07 wrote: (Post 2685276)
As much as I like Six Feet Under and think it's one of the best dramas ever made, I wouldn't want BSG to be that. BSG is still scifi and I wouldn't want it to pretend that that aspect of the show isn't important.

I disagree somewhat. Imho the scifi elements are just a stage for the drama. And I don't really care what happens to the stage after the drama is over.

Still, I do agree that BSG is it's own thing, and shouldn't try to be like anything else.

Agent Richard07 March 7 2009 03:18 AM

Quote:

kipron wrote: (Post 2685319)
Imho the scifi elements are just a stage for the drama.

At this point, most of the characters are intertwined with the mythology or the scifi aspect of the show. I can't see how they could easily seaparate the two.

Quote:

And I don't really care what happens to the stage after the drama is over.
I don't think the mythology is just a stage, It's part of the story that's unfolding and I'm hoping that it gets a satisfying conclusion. For example, I do want to know what Starbuck is, why she came back and why she's important, or at least something along those lines. Just having her "reconcile with her dad" isn't enough. It would be for a show like Six Feet Under, but not here.

Jiraiya March 7 2009 03:19 AM

Looks like some folks get spaced in this one.

kipron March 7 2009 03:26 AM

Quote:

Agent Richard07 wrote: (Post 2685385)
Quote:

I don't think the mythology is just a stage, it's part of the story that's unfolding and I'm hoping that it gets a satisfying conclusion. For example, I do want to know what Starbuck is, why she came back and why she's important, or at least something along those lines. Just having her "reconcile with her dad" isn't enough. It would be for a show like Six Feet Under, but not here.

Heh. I think it would be kinda cool if they don't reveal any of that. Questions are always more interesting than answers..

Agent Richard07 March 7 2009 03:29 AM

^ Depends on what they don't answer. Sometimes having things open to speculation is good and sometimes you just feel as if you've been left hanging. Earth's time period doesn't necessarily matter, but other things like the Opera House or Starbuck should get something more than what we have so far.

SJSharksfan39 March 7 2009 03:31 AM

Quote:

kipron wrote: (Post 2685424)
Quote:

Agent Richard07 wrote: (Post 2685385)
Quote:

I don't think the mythology is just a stage, it's part of the story that's unfolding and I'm hoping that it gets a satisfying conclusion. For example, I do want to know what Starbuck is, why she came back and why she's important, or at least something along those lines. Just having her "reconcile with her dad" isn't enough. It would be for a show like Six Feet Under, but not here.

Heh. I think it would be kinda cool if they don't reveal any of that. Questions are always more interesting than answers..

If they don't answer the important questions, than that makes the series kind of worthless IMO.