The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Facebook... officially lame (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=84394)

Guartho March 3 2009 07:36 PM

Facebook... officially lame

I see that a couple of days ago my mom joined FaceBook and wants to be my friend now. It's all over. I long for the halcyon days of college-only Facebook.

Due to my mother's presence FaceBook is now officially lame. TrekBBS appears to still be safe.

Crusher Disciple March 3 2009 07:46 PM

Re: Facebook... officially lame

Quote:

Guartho wrote: (Post 2672313)
I see that a couple of days ago my mom joined FaceBook and wants to be my friend now. It's all over. I long for the halcyon days of college-only Facebook.

Due to my mother's presence FaceBook is now officially lame. TrekBBS appears to still be safe.

^ :guffaw::guffaw:

Did you look in the New Members list? Guartho's Mom just signed up.

Mallory March 3 2009 07:48 PM

You laugh now. Just wait until your dad signs up.

Guartho March 3 2009 07:52 PM

Dad already signed up. That I can deal with though as he didn't try to friend me.

Hermiod March 3 2009 07:53 PM

There was a story on the Internet the other day about a woman who realised her relationship with her daughter had fallen apart after they had an argument and then discovered that her daughter had removed her as a friend on Facebook.

Crusher Disciple March 3 2009 07:56 PM

Quote:

Mallory wrote: (Post 2672360)

You befriended your kids yet?

Mallory March 3 2009 07:57 PM

Nope. Not a chance in hell. I give them their space, I'm by no means a "clingy parent".

Crusher Disciple March 3 2009 08:03 PM

Good man. :techman:

Omnius March 3 2009 08:03 PM

Quote:

I still have my mom's friend request unanswered. As long as she doesn't start asking questions or disowns me, that's fine by me!

Some time ago she mentioned to me if I knew someone nicknamed Ominous Squirrel.. I went :borg: and just ignored her. I later found out, she had googled my msn email address, and found trekbbs (it was halloween at the time). I removed it after that! But I'm still worried... maybe she's lurking... :eek:

Goji March 3 2009 08:22 PM

Facebook has been lame since they let high schoolers join in 2006 or so. :borg:

jamestyler March 3 2009 08:34 PM

Quote:

Mallory wrote: (Post 2672360)

Facebook is safe for me - though both my parents have me on Bebo. Considering the amount of sleaze I speak on there, I'm glad my mother can't remember her password. Though it's the primary communication with my father.

Quote:

Hermiod wrote: (Post 2672375)
There was a story on the Internet the other day about a woman who realised her relationship with her daughter had fallen apart after they had an argument and then discovered that her daughter had removed her as a friend on Facebook.

A couple of years ago I read a report that had me in stiches.

A journalist, a paid professional journalist, reported that wrestler Test and Kelly Kelly had just started a relationship. His proof? This paid professional journalists proof that this entire article was based on? She made him his top friend on MySpace.

Hermiod March 3 2009 08:36 PM

^:lol:

It's actually true though, they only recently broke up (apparently because he's not dealing very well with her being still in the wrestling business while he's not getting any bookings).

K'Ehleyr March 3 2009 08:41 PM

Quote:

Oh you have just given me the most fun idea :guffaw:. My son is going to hate you :D

Barbados Slim March 3 2009 08:54 PM

Yeah, it's still lightyears better than My Space ever was. But two things made me think twice about it.

1) My friend's 12 year old daughter sent me a friend request.

2) My high school drama teacher sent me a friend request and then promptly described me "beefy."

I still flat out refuse to Twitter. That's really fucking lame when we hear about US congressmen Twittering during the president's address. And it's shit like "all the senators got the good seats."

Ethros March 3 2009 09:03 PM

This a better story- A man murdered his estranged wife after becoming "enraged" when she changed her marital status on Facebook to "single"

Bit mental