The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   New Yorker Watchmen Review *Minor Spoilers* (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=84353)

theenglish March 3 2009 05:15 AM

New Yorker Watchmen Review *Minor Spoilers*
 
The New Yorker has a very unflattering review of the movie. Not to say that this is necessarily a film that will appeal to the art crowd, but it does bring up some disturbing points for me. I was a fan of the original graphic novel, which I read back in the 80's as it was originally published so I know the story but I don't want this thread to contain too many specific movie or plot references for those who do not want to know about them.

Check out the review:

http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critic...ci_cinema_lane

Harvey March 3 2009 05:41 AM

Re: New Yorker Watchmen Review *Minor Spoilers*
 
I'm not surprised by that review. I fear I may agree with much of it, but reserve judgment until I see the film. It's little consolation that the seven critics at Metacritic have been about as unkind to the film, though.

Michael Chris March 3 2009 05:44 AM

Re: New Yorker Watchmen Review *Minor Spoilers*
 
It's at 76% on RT. So that's good. I suppose.

CaptainCanada March 3 2009 05:50 AM

Re: New Yorker Watchmen Review *Minor Spoilers*
 
The NY review's not positive about the film, but it doesn't seem any higher on the original story (to the point of severely misinterpreting Moore's work), which casts some doubt on its credibility.

Admiral James Kirk March 3 2009 05:54 AM

Re: New Yorker Watchmen Review *Minor Spoilers*
 
Ah you gotta be born with your head stuck straight between your butt cheeks to even be considered for a job at the New Yorker. Like I care what that pretentious hack thinks. I may not have seen the movie but even if it's bad it doesn't deserve a review that hoity toity. I can't think of any movie that does.

firehawk12 March 3 2009 07:47 AM

Re: New Yorker Watchmen Review *Minor Spoilers*
 
Quote:

“Watchmen,” like “V for Vendetta,” harbors ambitions of political satire, and, to be fair, it should meet the needs of any leering nineteen-year-old who believes that America is ruled by the military-industrial complex, and whose deepest fear—deeper even than that of meeting a woman who requests intelligent conversation—is that the Warren Commission may have been right all along.
What the fuck? Like really?
We're all assholes who think women are best found in porn magazines? I know reviews are supposed to be opinion, but could this line have worked if it was some other group?

"Sex and the City" harbors ambitions of political satire, and, to be fair, it should meet the needs of any 30 year old woman who believes Prada will solve all her problems and, whose deepest fear - deeper even than that of missing a sale at Louis Vutton - is that their fourty-thousand dollar wedding gown might be ruined on her wedding day.

I'm so tired of this "nerds are losers" shit. Ugh.

RoJoHen March 3 2009 07:55 AM

Re: New Yorker Watchmen Review *Minor Spoilers*
 
Quote:

firehawk12 wrote: (Post 2671087)
I'm so tired of this "nerds are losers" shit. Ugh.

So prove them wrong!

It is our job to bring out everyone's inner nerd! One day nerds will reign supreme.

firehawk12 March 3 2009 07:57 AM

Re: New Yorker Watchmen Review *Minor Spoilers*
 
All I can hope is that the guy's computer breaks down when he's writing a long review and he forgot to save his file. Then we'll see who he calls. :p

hyzmarca March 3 2009 08:01 AM

Re: New Yorker Watchmen Review *Minor Spoilers*
 
Reading this guys other reviews, it's fairly obvious that he wouldn't know a good movie if it shat on his face, and he has a pathological hatred of both action films and summer blockbusters.

Bishbot March 3 2009 12:52 PM

Re: New Yorker Watchmen Review *Minor Spoilers*
 
Quote:

CaptainCanada wrote: (Post 2670826)
The NY review's not positive about the film, but it doesn't seem any higher on the original story (to the point of severely misinterpreting Moore's work), which casts some doubt on its credibility.

HUGE doubt to my mind. I'm willing to accept that the film might not be all that - although I really really hope I'm wrong, but this review is a complete joke.

Professor Zoom March 3 2009 01:09 PM

Re: New Yorker Watchmen Review *Minor Spoilers*
 
Quote:

Bishbot wrote: (Post 2671407)
Quote:

CaptainCanada wrote: (Post 2670826)
The NY review's not positive about the film, but it doesn't seem any higher on the original story (to the point of severely misinterpreting Moore's work), which casts some doubt on its credibility.

HUGE doubt to my mind. I'm willing to accept that the film might not be all that - although I really really hope I'm wrong, but this review is a complete joke.


Agreed. When I read it it's clear the reviewer seems to hate (or doesn't believe that it's possible) the very idea of a comic book, certainly the idea that a comic book could tell a complex story.

There are other reviews out there that don't like it, but at least they seem to understand the comic...or at least appreciate it.

Hanukkah Solo March 3 2009 01:12 PM

Re: New Yorker Watchmen Review *Minor Spoilers*
 
Quote:

hyzmarca wrote: (Post 2671113)
Reading this guys other reviews, it's fairly obvious that he wouldn't know a good movie if it shat on his face, and he has a pathological hatred of both action films and summer blockbusters.

Well, he does write for The New Yorker. :lol:

God Magnus March 3 2009 02:30 PM

Re: New Yorker Watchmen Review *Minor Spoilers*
 
Quote:

firehawk12 wrote: (Post 2671087)
What the fuck? Like really?
We're all assholes who think women are best found in porn magazines? I know reviews are supposed to be opinion, but could this line have worked if it was some other group?

Agreed. The entire review's credibility was shot as soon as I read that. It's one thing to tear a movie apart, it's another to insult its primary audience.

Reading the review through, it seems the writer was also biased against Moore's original work and missed a lot of the point of the book to begin with, so the movie review itself is suspect IMO.

Christopher March 3 2009 02:55 PM

Re: New Yorker Watchmen Review *Minor Spoilers*
 
Quote:

RoJoHen wrote: (Post 2671100)
One day nerds will reign supreme.

Don't we already?

Ben Sisko3 March 3 2009 04:45 PM

Re: New Yorker Watchmen Review *Minor Spoilers*
 
Quote:

Christopher wrote: (Post 2671538)
Quote:

RoJoHen wrote: (Post 2671100)
One day nerds will reign supreme.

Don't we already?

:rommie::rommie::rommie:

My thoughts exactly.

Dude loves his Conan and Spider-Man...


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.