The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Battlestar Galactica & Caprica (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Earth (spoilers probably) (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=83678)

paudemge February 23 2009 06:02 PM

Earth (spoilers probably)

So is the Earth in BSG, our future or past? I'm not sure we got a good glimpse of the continents, so i guess it could be many many years in one direction of the other.

Admiral Buzzkill February 23 2009 06:07 PM

Re: Earth (spoilers probably)

I'm think that it takes place in the not-too-distant future. Probably sometime around next Sunday, A.D.

The Evil Dead February 23 2009 06:21 PM

...There was a guy named Joel, Not too different from you or me. He worked at Gizmonic Institute, Just another face in a red jumpsuit...

SeerSGB February 23 2009 06:30 PM

Quote:

paudemge wrote: (Post 2644659)
So is the Earth in BSG, our future or past? I'm not sure we got a good glimpse of the continents, so i guess it could be many many years in one direction of the other.

Both and neither....

If they follow up with this and lock it down as both our Earth and having happened at some point in our history, I'll be disappointed. I kind of like the whole idea of it "It's Earth cause the 13th tribe called it Earth; so for the sake of BSG it's Earth" angle to it.

Admiral2 February 23 2009 06:30 PM

Quote:

The Evil Dead wrote: (Post 2644721)
...There was a guy named Joel, Not too different from you or me. He worked at Gizmonic Institute, Just another face in a red jumpsuit...

He had a good job cleaning up the place...

Admiral Buzzkill February 23 2009 06:36 PM

This is one of the many "mysteries" of BSG that I'll be more satisfied if they don't address.

MetroKid February 23 2009 07:16 PM

Quote:

Admiral2 wrote: (Post 2644759)
Quote:

...but his bosses didn't like him, so they shot him into space!

GeorgeKirk February 24 2009 12:01 AM

My opinion:

Of course, I could be wrong.

Candlelight February 24 2009 12:17 AM

Quote:

paudemge wrote: (Post 2644659)

Put it this way:

It's a tv show. It's not our universe. We didn't come from the stars, we evolved here.

The way it's implied in the show is it isn't our Earth, or if it is, it's our far future (after we leave here and find Kobol, and start the ball rolling).

cultcross February 24 2009 12:20 AM

Quote:

GeorgeKirk wrote: (Post 2646081)
My opinion:

An interesting idea, but of course it doesn't begin to make a lick of sense - you'd have to explain massive reversals in technological progress, followed by quietly following the same route forwards again.

Candlelight February 24 2009 12:29 AM

Quote:

cultcross wrote: (Post 2646164)
Quote:

GeorgeKirk wrote: (Post 2646081)
My opinion:

An interesting idea, but of course it doesn't begin to make a lick of sense - you'd have to explain massive reversals in technological progress, followed by quietly following the same route forwards again.

That and the fact that Gaeta confirmed the star charts were a match to the old records, which match our constellations and star systems.

Mitty February 24 2009 05:57 AM

[quote=Candlelight;2646203That and the fact that Gaeta confirmed the star charts were a match to the old records, which match our constellations and star systems.[/quote]

Yep, but Gaeta turned into a rebelious mutineer, maybe he was lying? :)

Phily B February 24 2009 06:40 AM

Meh, I love BSG but the idea that every single part of our planet was nuked and was no longer liveable. Bullshit.

CaptainHarlock February 24 2009 07:27 AM

* I only hope that there are our Earth, in the past or in the future. The idea of an alternate universe is much let down.

bryce February 24 2009 10:58 AM

Quote:

MetroKid wrote: (Post 2644913)
Quote:

Admiral2 wrote: (Post 2644759)
Quote:

...but his bosses didn't like him, so they shot him into space!

Then they sent him cheesey movies, the worst they could find...

(This will eventually lead him to making "robot friends", because all this has happened before and will happen again...)