The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Battlestar Galactica & Caprica (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Proof This is Not Our Earth? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=82845)

Tom February 16 2009 02:19 AM

Proof This is Not Our Earth?

How could BSG's Earth be our Earth when the Cylons only lived there 1000 years then nuked the planet? The other reason maybe the time frame, I doubt it was millions of years in our past because we would have found evidence of there civilation. Perhaps this happen millions of years in our future?

I think BSG's earth is RMD's version of 'Terra'. When Galactica finds a planet to call home will it be our Earth?? hmm

Harvey February 16 2009 02:28 AM

Re: Proof This is Not Our Earth?

Who says our Earth even exists in the Battlestar Galactica universe? It could just as well be an alternate universe, and perhaps make much more sense as one.

Tom February 16 2009 02:30 AM

Very True..

Mr. Laser Beam February 16 2009 02:33 AM

Quote:

Hirogen Alpha wrote: (Post 2617677)
Who says our Earth even exists in the Battlestar Galactica universe? It could just as well be an alternate universe, and perhaps make much more sense as one.

Every TV show, film, novel, etc. that ever existed, takes place in an alternate universe. This is no different.

As for Earth, well, I hope BSG's Earth is not too different from us. We don't know the timeframe when this show takes place, but I always assumed that our Earth exists there too. We could have died out and been replaced by the (Cylon) 13th Tribe, or it could be the distant past and our civilization could be destined to develop much later. Either way - you've got to have an Earth. That's one of the things you just don't change. Earth is Earth, no matter the universe. Make it too different and the name becomes meaningless.

Harvey February 16 2009 02:34 AM

Quote:

Babaganoosh wrote: (Post 2617690)
Quote:

Hirogen Alpha wrote: (Post 2617677)

Every TV show, film, novel, etc. that ever existed, takes place in an alternate universe. This is no different.

Well, clearly, but I was proposing that Earth on Battlestar Galactica wasn't anything like Earth in real life, outside of the basic geography.

Starwind February 16 2009 02:41 AM

I wish I could say it wasn't our Earth, but the match-up of the constellations is too close.

Raz February 16 2009 02:58 AM

They could call the planet sdakfjalsk. But Earth strikes a better chord with the viewer. It's not really Earth, even if you can take the ruins and place it next to a picture of a particular city + bridge and notice a remarkable similarity.

SeerSGB February 16 2009 03:17 AM

Besides how do we know that the 13th didn't arrive at a Earth already populated. Perhaps they blended into the existing population.

RoJoHen February 16 2009 03:23 AM

I'm getting a little annoyed with the whole concept of "our earth." Who cares?

Stargate takes place on "our earth," but neither Bill Clinton nor George Bush were ever the President.

Angel took place on "our earth," but I don't remember a giant demon completely blotting out the sun a few years ago.

BSG's Earth could very well be "our earth" in much the same way, but in the context of the story, it really doesn't matter. The Fleet found Earth. Not our Earth. Not a fake Earth. Just Earth.

SeerSGB February 16 2009 03:25 AM

Didn't Moore say something along the lines of "They found a planet that the 13th tribe called Earth"-- can't remember the exact line.

EyalM February 16 2009 03:30 AM

Did we actually see the continants from orbit after they found Earth? Maybe it's not the same planet we saw at the end of last season.

Ensign_Redshirt February 16 2009 04:16 AM

I've always asked myself... if there's no Earth (in the meaning of "our" Earth) in the BSG universe, what's the point of calling it Earth anyway?

If nuBSG's Earth is not "our Earth" then it's just another random planet and the BSG universe is just like the Star Wars universe... with the difference that there's some planet which is also called "Earth" by sheer coincidence.

One would think that the BSG planet "Earth" was called that way because the audience can identify with it. But there's not much to identify with it, if it's nothing more than an originally uninhabited planet which was colonized by artificial lifeforms from a distant world who then got nuked.

I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with the nuBSG universe being like the Star Wars universe, but then they should have kept Earth out of it.

I'm still hoping for the revelation that BSG's Earth is actually "our Earth" (or that there's a "real Earth" which is our Earth) and that the whole series takes place in the far future. Maybe Kobol was actually Earth's colony and that 13th/Cylon tribe started to look for mankind's original homeworld when they left Kobol thousands of years ago? But when they arrived the planet was deserted, because Earth's original population had evolved into the virtual beings and so the Kobollian Cylons re-colonized Earth. And among the virtual beings are still some Bob Dylan fans. :)

RoJoHen February 16 2009 04:27 AM

Maybe the 13th Tribe arrived at Earth in 1947 and crashed in Roswell, New Mexico.

In the 1000 years that followed, they found a way to insert themselves in normal Earth society. They breed with humans. Earth's population eventually becomes a bunch of Human/Cylon hybrids. Some of them (including the Final Five) still know about the other 12 Colonies and develop resurrection technology. The rest happens as we saw it.

Nobody ever said that Earth was empty when the 13th Tribe settled there.

SeerSGB February 16 2009 04:28 AM

Well it really goes back to the cyclical nature of the show.

My pet theory, to explain why "Earth"-C(ylon) might not be "Earth"-Prime (our earth): Humanity Evolved on Earth-Prime, eventually we colonize other worlds, one of which is Kobol (maybe Kobol is the only one). For whatever reason Earth-Prime falls and its culture falls into the realm of myth and religioni. The Kobolian/Cylon war breaks out, the 12 human tribes head for what would become the colonies, the 13th start head in the general direction that scripture dictates was the location of Earth-Prime. Eventually they find a world that fits the bill-- maybe even an colony abandoned centuries before, they assume it is/call it Earth and settle it. Eventualy they make the same mistakes as the people of Kobol.

Jump to the Colonies a couple thousand years later and once again the pattern is repeating.

Ensign_Redshirt February 16 2009 04:29 AM

Quote:

RoJoHen wrote: (Post 2618001)
Maybe the 13th Tribe arrived at Earth in 1947 and crashed in Roswell, New Mexico.

In the 1000 years that followed, they found a way to insert themselves in normal Earth society. They breed with humans. Earth's population eventually becomes a bunch of Human/Cylon hybrids. Some of them (including the Final Five) still know about the other 12 Colonies and develop resurrection technology. The rest happens as we saw it.

Nobody ever said that Earth was empty when the 13th Tribe settled there.

Nope, when the Kobollian Cylons arrived at Earth it was the year 1980. :p