The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TrekToday News Items (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Braga On 'Star Trek: Enterprise' (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=82199)

TrekToday February 9 2009 11:34 PM

Braga On 'Star Trek: Enterprise'

Looking back, <i>Star Trek: Enterprise's</i> <font color=yellow>Brannon Braga</font> realizes that the ending of the four-year series was less than satisfying.<p>As reported by <A class="link" HREF="http://www.ifmagazine.com">iFMagazine</A>, <i>Star Trek: Enterprise's</i> ending did not meet expectations for Braga. "I think that final, final episode, I may be understating it when Iím saying it didn't turn out as well as I hoped," he said. "I think the intentions behind it sent a valentine to all the 'Star Trek' shows and a very genuine heartfelt one, because we knew 'Star Trek' would be off television for a long, long time, but it was kind of a lackluster story."<p>If Braga had to do the ending over again, he wouldn't know exactly what to do. "I don't know [what I would have done,] because at the time I thought it was very cool, it was only when it came out, I realized, 'this isn't quite working.' That happens. I don't know what I would have done honestly. I think I might have just ended 'Enterprise.'<p>And what if <i>Enterprise</i> had returned for another season? "I had moved on to another series ['Threshold,'] so I would have left 'Enterprise.' I love 'Star Trek.' It's the kind of show that's such an open field conceptually, that I could have done it forever. At the same time, after fifteen years, I had to move on and let other people do it."<p>Braga confesses to being emotionally attached to <i>Star Trek</i> and part of him is sad to see someone else in charge. "My analogy with 'Star Trek' is I divorced my wife, I love her dearly, she's with a great guy, and I'm so happy for her," he explained. "At the same time, in the back of mind, someone else is with my wife. That's how I feel. I can't help but feel emotionally attached to 'Star Trek.' But predominantly my feeling is it's in great hands with J.J. Abrams and I can't wait to see the movie."<p>To read more, including Braga's current projects, head to the article located <A class="link" HREF="http://www.ifmagazine.com/feature.asp?article=3248">here</A>.<center></center>

Tulin February 10 2009 04:26 AM

Re: Braga On 'Star Trek: Enterprise'

Quote:

TrekToday wrote: (Post 2594070)
we knew 'Star Trek' would be off television for a long, long time

Yeah, partly because you and your sorry associates killed it.

Fucktard.

Quote:

"I don't know [what I would have done,] because at the time I thought it was very cool
And this was a big part of the problem.

They didn't actually know what was good ST anymore, so we got VOY, ENT, INS and NEM.

Quote:

I could have done it forever
Thank god you weren't allowed to. If the abovementioned abortions are anything to go by, your time was WAY up.

Quote:

part of him is sad to see someone else in charge. "My analogy with 'Star Trek' is I divorced my wife, I love her dearly, she's with a great guy, and I'm so happy for her," he explained. "At the same time, in the back of mind, someone else is with my wife. That's how I feel. I can't help but feel emotionally attached to 'Star Trek.'
So ST is your wife, who is a guy, that you felt compelled to divorce, but you still love but now somebody else is fucking your wife who is a guy and a tv show.

For fuck's sake......if that's how you, as a writer present clear analogies, it's no wonder ST-post DS9 turned out as the shit it was and "Threshold" was cancelled.

Go get a trade or do something useful, like volunteer with old folks.

donners22 February 10 2009 05:08 AM

I enjoyed Enterprise very much, and was quite infuriated by the final episode. I cannot understand how it takes this long to realise it was "kind of lackluster".

You killed off the most popular character and brought him back for a meaningless chat with Riker a few minutes later, FFS!

Captain59 February 10 2009 05:19 AM

Quote:

donners22 wrote: (Post 2595412)
You killed off the most popular character and brought him back for a meaningless chat with Riker a few minutes later, FFS!

You got that right.

Ghel February 10 2009 07:59 AM

I think we're being a bit harsh here people.

Although there is vehement disdain for Enterprise in some quarters, I for one, enjoyed it. If there was a weakness to Enterprise it was that it didn't distinguish itself from the earlier series' in enough meaningful ways. At the same time, I challenge anyone to write for a television show every week (not including films etc.) for over fifteen years and not become a bit stagnant. For all the griping about the writers of Trek, very few of us will ever be good enough to even get hired for a show, much less sustain it for more than a decade.

As far as the finale, I do understand what Braga is saying. Conceptually, a television show spanning TNG through ENT is an awesome idea (much like the potential for Generations). It is merely unfortunate that the idea didn't translate onto the television screen.

Braga (and Berman) provided many great hours and years of Star Trek. Meybe it's time we started being thankful for the hundreds of hours of entertainment with which we have been provided rather than vilifying those who did their best to bring it to us. Of course, I guess JJ Abrams will soon be joining the ranks of the hated for adding another film to our viewing lives . . .

jumanji February 10 2009 08:05 AM

Quote:

Ghel wrote: (Post 2595802)
I think we're being a bit harsh here people.

I don't.. he's a tosser and Moore should be the one calling the shots.

Cyke101 February 10 2009 08:06 AM

I really do blame Berman & Braga for the poor storytelling qualities of VOY, ENT, and the last two movies. But for the past couple years Braga's been owning up to his part, which I appreciate.

I've been watching 24 this season, and I really like it. Braga's doing quite well for himself there. Perhaps all he needed was a break from constant Trek to become good again.

StarMan February 10 2009 08:21 AM

Quote:

Braga confesses to being emotionally attached to Star Trek and part of him is sad to see someone else in charge. "My analogy with 'Star Trek' is I divorced my wife, I love her dearly, she's with a great guy, and I'm so happy for her," he explained. "At the same time, in the back of mind, someone else is with my wife. That's how I feel. I can't help but feel emotionally attached to 'Star Trek.' But predominantly my feeling is it's in great hands with J.J. Abrams and I can't wait to see the movie."

I've certainly felt that way so far as my previous employment has gone. Good analogy.

Attacking Braga on a personal level and accusing him of purposefully kneecapping the franchise is childish.

number6 February 10 2009 10:29 AM

Quote:

StarMan wrote: (Post 2595838)
Attacking Braga on a personal level and accusing him of purposefully kneecapping the franchise is childish.

It has passed well beyond childish years ago.

Obi Wana Jones February 10 2009 04:23 PM

Well Mr. Braga, when you treat your wife like a cheap 'Ho, she's better off with another.

Let's hope she doesn't have the battered wife syndrome, trapped by another loser.

The Ent ending could've have been so much better by just having the primary story. If he wanted to toss in a TNG connection, it could have been at the very end, revealing Riker and Troi watching the events on the holodeck. Pure and simple, with no dialogue at all.

Obi Wana Jones February 10 2009 04:27 PM

That said, B&B gave us countless hours of good Trek. They showed thier burnout with the absolute shitty Insurrection, followed by a hit and miss Ent. , turning it into ST:90210 (OK, maybe not THAT

Ent got so much better the last 2 seasons (especially the last).

GodzFire February 10 2009 06:07 PM

Quote:

Captain59 wrote: (Post 2595441)
Quote:

donners22 wrote: (Post 2595412)

You got that right.

Ditto. I'm glad that the Series Finale for Enterprise, Terra Prime, was at least respectful and a proper sendoff.

EyalM February 10 2009 06:20 PM

TATV could have been nice as a session ender (without killing Trip...). But making the cast secondary characters in their own finale is unforgivable

IndyJones February 10 2009 07:22 PM

Quote:

"I think the intentions behind it sent a valentine to all the 'Star Trek' shows and a very genuine heartfelt one, because we knew 'Star Trek' would be off television for a long, long time, but it was kind of a lackluster story."

Well, there's that V-word again...

Mott the barber February 10 2009 07:23 PM

Good riddance to him.

That being said, he is highly involved with this season of 24 and it's been great so far. :devil: