The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Battlestar Galactica & Caprica (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   BSG ratings rock! (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=81776)

Temis the Vorta February 5 2009 05:33 AM

BSG ratings rock!

Irrelevant to BSG's fate but a good sign for Caprica:

Quote:

Overall, the January 16 episode, the first of the series' highly-anticipated final installment, averaged a 2.0 HH rating, 1.8 million Adults 18-49 (up +38% over the Live +Same Day ratings), 1.9 million Adults 25-54 (+35%), and 2.8 million total viewers (+32%). This was the best performance for Battlestar Galactica in total viewers since the season 2 premiere in July 2005.

RoJoHen February 5 2009 05:36 AM

Re: BSG ratings rock!

Sweet!

That said, I'm happy with its fate. It's ending at just the right time.

WeAreTheBorg February 5 2009 06:39 AM

Hm. Could it be that the word of mouth promotion started to pick up in the mid season gap? I always suspected that 5 years from now the number of people who would have watched if they felt the same way at the time would be huge.

RobertScorpio February 5 2009 06:55 AM

Quote:

Temis the Vorta wrote: (Post 2577810)
Irrelevant to BSG's fate but a good sign for Caprica:

Quote:

Overall, the January 16 episode, the first of the series' highly-anticipated final installment, averaged a 2.0 HH rating, 1.8 million Adults 18-49 (up +38% over the Live +Same Day ratings), 1.9 million Adults 25-54 (+35%), and 2.8 million total viewers (+32%). This was the best performance for Battlestar Galactica in total viewers since the season 2 premiere in July 2005.

Sorry..not impressed...Yeah, I know viewing habits are different...but 2 million? This show just is not seen beyond the genre fans it has. Heck, almost the same amount of people watch GENERAL HOSPITAL every day....and compared to TNG, and even Deep Space Nine's ratings (both sydicated) BSG isn't even in the same ball park....

And one must ask why are nuBSG's numbers down compared to its own highs from seasons one and two??? Erosion...pure and simple.

Rob

Hanukkah Solo February 5 2009 08:31 AM

2 million is good for a five-year old show on Sci-Fi. There's no point in comparing its ratings to shows on broadcast networks.

billcosby February 5 2009 08:39 AM

Quote:

RobertScorpio wrote: (Post 2578030)

And one must ask why are nuBSG's numbers down compared to its own highs from seasons one and two??? Erosion...pure and simple.

Rob

"Battlestar? Oh, is that still on? I thought it finished last year."
-casual viewer

Agent Richard07 February 5 2009 08:41 AM

Lately, I've been thinking that if Moore hadn't pulled the plug on BSG, it would have gotten renewed for a 5th season. Caprica getting a full season order started that belief and now this news about the ratings has me believing it even more.

Kelso February 5 2009 02:51 PM

Quote:

RobertScorpio wrote: (Post 2578030)
Sorry..not impressed...Yeah, I know viewing habits are different...but 2 million? This show just is not seen beyond the genre fans it has. Heck, almost the same amount of people watch GENERAL HOSPITAL every day....and compared to TNG, and even Deep Space Nine's ratings (both sydicated) BSG isn't even in the same ball park....

2.8 million is good for a cable series... esp. a scifi cable series. For a little perspective check out this story from last year regarding AMC's Mad Men.

Quote:

"Mad Men" scored record ratings in its second-season premiere.

The AMC drama drew nearly 2 million viewers, more than double last season's average (915,000) and, in an even bigger coup, tripled its average of adults 18-49. The episode also posted impressive gains from its lead-in (an airing of "Jerry Maguire," which netted 1.1 million).

The show, a drama about 1960s-era Madison Avenue, made Emmy history earlier this month, picking up one of basic cable's first-ever outstanding drama series nominations and 16 nods overall, the most for any drama series this year.

SOURCE
That's right... even after Mad Men's viewers doubled from season one they still weren't getting 2 million viewers. And that is for a series with a far more mainstream premise that regularly dominates the awards ceremonies.

BSG is doing very well. Good for them, they deserve it.

lorelai2112 February 5 2009 04:50 PM

Sorry, but these aren't good numbers, its Sci Fi spin. SciFi has combined the overnight same day ratings with the DVR +7 day numbers to get this figure. And it's only for the 4.5 "season" premier. Numbers have been dropping since and last week it was bested by three other Sci Fi shows: Ghost Hunters International,Wyvern (Movie), and ECW. Actual viewers last week: 1,560,000. DVR results take 3 weeks to come back and may help this a bit, but overall, I think these are bad numbers especially considering the show is in it's final episodes.

(http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/02/03...066#more-12066)

[FONT=Arial][/FONT]

flavaflav February 5 2009 04:51 PM

meh... and i thought Terminator had bad ratings.

Stone_Cold_Sisko February 5 2009 05:38 PM

Once an endpoint for the series was decided, I stopped caring about ratings. They only matter to me when the survival/renewal of future seasons is at stake. I stopped bothering with LOST's ratings too once they announced the end-point of the series.

Warp Coil February 5 2009 09:14 PM

Quote:

Stone_Cold_Sisko wrote: (Post 2578999)
Once an endpoint for the series was decided, I stopped caring about ratings. They only matter to me when the survival/renewal of future seasons is at stake. I stopped bothering with LOST's ratings too once they announced the end-point of the series.

Indeed. At this point, ratings won't affect anything. BSG is ending. It's final episodes have been filmed and will air. Fans will get to watch the story reach its natural ending. The same is true for "Lost". The end-date has been selected. ABC isn't going to cancel it beforehand. Ratings don't really matter anymore. The only thing I care about is telling good stories.

Brutal Strudel February 5 2009 10:57 PM

Eh. Nobody watched The Wire, either. Mad Men likewise has a pretty minuscule audience. Frankly, I'm amazed so many people watched The Sopranos. You want numbers? Go watch Paula and Simon drive another poor chick to off herself.

EDIT: I see Kelso already noted Mad Men.

IndyJones February 5 2009 11:11 PM

Quote:

lorelai2112 wrote: (Post 2578881)
Sorry, but these aren't good numbers, its Sci Fi spin. SciFi has combined the overnight same day ratings with the DVR +7 day numbers to get this figure. And it's only for the 4.5 "season" premier.

Sure they're putting it in a good light, but Battlestar is one of the most DVR'd and BitTorrented shows currently on TV. Also, these are the best numbers the show has seen since it's season 2 premiere, so I'm sure they're happy.

lorelai2112 February 6 2009 01:39 AM

Quote:

IndyJones wrote: (Post 2580039)

Sure they're putting it in a good light, but Battlestar is one of the most DVR'd and BitTorrented shows currently on TV. Also, these are the best numbers the show has seen since it's season 2 premiere, so I'm sure they're happy.

With due respect, I don't think they, as in the studio and network, are really happy about being high on the BitTorrented lists. That means people are getting their copy-written material illegally which could mean DVD sales they may not get. Also, networks care about advertising and people DVRing and downloading the show aren't watching those ads. That means the network has to charge less for that time. The Sci Fi spin is to make things sound rosey but it's hard for me to think everything's all that great when they once hit a near 3 million mark. Sci Fi used to have at least 3 shows in the cable top 20 each week. None of their shows make that now. So I can't buy the "greatest numbers ever..." line from Sci Fi when I know they've had better numbers.