The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The Far Future (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=81093)

Nardpuncher January 29 2009 05:48 AM

The Far Future
 
I'm rereading Dune and I believe it's set about 20,000 years in the future. That adds wonderfully to the story for me.
There's quite a lot of sci-fi that only jumps ahead 20 or 30 years to show its future.
What are some other sci-fi books/comics/movies that are set in the far future? Which one's the farthest?

GodThingFormerly January 29 2009 05:58 AM

Re: The Far Future
 
* Last and First Men by Olaf Stapledon (Methuen, 1930).
* Star Maker by Olaf Stapledon (Methuen, 1937).
* The City and the Stars by Arthur C. Clarke (Harcourt, 1956).
* Far Futures edited by Gregory Benford (Tor, 1995).
* Tomorrow and Tomorrow by Charles Sheffield (Spectra, 1996).
* Genesis by Poul Anderson (Tor, 2000).
* City at the End of Time by Greg Bear (Del Rey, 2008).

TGT

PurpleBuddha January 29 2009 07:24 AM

Re: The Far Future
 
Further into the Future than all those other Books - by Future A. Guy

captcalhoun January 29 2009 08:26 AM

Re: The Far Future
 
the comic book Dragon's Claws was set in 8162AD. so too were some of the early issues of Death's Head.

Warhammer 40,000 and its spinoff media take place in the 41st millennium as the name suggests.

Candlelight January 29 2009 08:38 AM

Re: The Far Future
 
Red Dwarf (3 millions years in the future)

Blake's 7 (800 years in the future)

Dr Who (take your pick)

Nardpuncher January 29 2009 10:50 AM

Re: The Far Future
 
Quote:

The God Thing wrote: (Post 2553327)
* Last and First Men by Olaf Stapledon (Methuen, 1930).
* Star Maker by Olaf Stapledon (Methuen, 1937).
* The City and the Stars by Arthur C. Clarke (Harcourt, 1956).
* Far Futures edited by Gregory Benford (Tor, 1995).
* Tomorrow and Tomorrow by Charles Sheffield (Spectra, 1996).
* Genesis by Poul Anderson (Tor, 2000).
* City at the End of Time by Greg Bear (Del Rey, 2008).

TGT


It seems like the ones by Olaf Stapledon are the winners. I found a link in there to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1_E19_s_and_more. This blows my mind.

Ensign_Redshirt January 29 2009 01:21 PM

Re: The Far Future
 
Isaac Asimov's Foundation series also takes place in a far future... up to 25,000 years from now, I think.

And of course Stephen Baxter wrote a lot of far future stuff. Some of his novels and stories take place millions of years into the future IIRC.

Scout101 January 29 2009 03:04 PM

Re: The Far Future
 
a great many sci-fi books probably do, if you really stop and think about it. Or at least, COULD be considered 'far future'. 3001, the Shannara Series, the majority of the Ender series by Orson scott card, Ringworld, Hyperion, so on and so forth.

Jim Steele January 29 2009 03:14 PM

Re: The Far Future
 
Doctor Who: Utopia

Travels to "near the end of the universe". I don't think it's specified how far in the future it is, but it's implied to be hundreds of billions. He's also been to the year 5 billion and the year 5 billion

Quote:

The God Thing wrote: (Post 2553327)
* Last and First Men by Olaf Stapledon (Methuen, 1930).
* Star Maker by Olaf Stapledon (Methuen, 1937).


TGT

I got these for my father for christmas one year with the full intention of "borrowing" them back. I'm shitting myself though because he's a man who ploughs through 6 books a week, and he found them hard going.

Chaos Descending January 29 2009 04:37 PM

Re: The Far Future
 
Quote:

Jim Steele wrote: (Post 2553964)
Doctor Who: Utopia

Travels to "near the end of the universe". I don't think it's specified how far in the future it is, but it's implied to be hundreds of billions.

It does specify.

100 Trillion.

Quote:

He's also been to the year 5 billion and the year 5 billion
:vulcan:

Jim Steele January 29 2009 04:58 PM

Re: The Far Future
 
Quote:

Chaos Descending wrote: (Post 2554141)
Quote:

Jim Steele wrote: (Post 2553964)
Doctor Who: Utopia

Travels to "near the end of the universe". I don't think it's specified how far in the future it is, but it's implied to be hundreds of billions.

It does specify.

100 Trillion.

Doh! Now that you've said I remember it being mentioned. Should really have hit up a wiki before posting.

Quote:

Quote:

He's also been to the year 5 billion and the year 5 billion
:vulcan:
It would appear that my head is up my arse today. :lol:

Mistral January 29 2009 05:15 PM

Re: The Far Future
 
H.G. Wells-The Time Machine

Keith Laumer's Earthblood as well as many of the BOLO stories

Niven's Ringworld series

Stephen Goldin's Eternity Brigade

Vernor Vinge's Peacewar saga-starts near our time and ends up millions of years in the future

captcalhoun January 29 2009 09:09 PM

Re: The Far Future
 
the Doctor visited 5 billion in "The End of the World"

then he dropped in on 5 billion and 23 in "New Earth"

after which he tried 5 billion 53 in "Gridlock"

Mutenroshi January 29 2009 09:43 PM

Re: The Far Future
 
The Time Machine by Herbert George Wells is set in 801,207 AD. The Traveler then goes 30 Million years into the future before returning to the XIXth Century.

Prydonian January 29 2009 11:48 PM

Re: The Far Future
 
Although more fantasy than science fiction, Jack Vance's Dying Earth tales are set in a distant future when the Sun is close to burning out. Also, Clark Ashton Smith's Zothique stories are set on the last inhabited continent on an elderly Earth, long after the continents as we know them have disappeared.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.