The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TrekToday News Items (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Orci And Abrams On Fan Reaction (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=79882)

TrekToday January 17 2009 08:17 AM

Orci And Abrams On Fan Reaction

Now that <i>Star Trek XI</i> is locked and ready for its May release, director <font color=yellow>J.J. Abrams</font> is curious about fan reaction to <i>Star Trek XI</i>.<p>As reported by <A class="link" HREF="http://www.msnbc.msn.com">Access Hollywood</A>, with the completion of <i>Star Trek XI</i>, the next thing will be seeing if fans like the newest entry in the <i>Star Trek</i> universe. "I'm...excited about [fan] reaction," said Abrams. He then turned to writer/producer <font color=yellow>Roberto Orci</font> and asked, "Are you anxious?"<p>"Yeah sure," said Orci. "You never want to be so arrogant to go, 'Oh, they're going to blow it away." We're...not smug, but we're confident."<p>"I gotta say, I am not worried about fans of the show liking the movie," added Abrams. "Fans of the show have seen it and had really great reactions, but I am as excited and nervous, kind of butterflies as I think I get about everything. I hope people like it. You work that long and hard on something and you don't want it to be trashed."<p>Abrams went on to praise <font color=yellow>Leonard Nimoy</font>. "Leonard Nimoy is the greatest and he's in there," said Abrams. "He was amazing. It was the weirdest thing, 'cause I always knew OK I'm going to be dealing with Leonard Nimoy and he's going to be playing Spock, but the first day...it was surreal to direct him as Spock, because what the hell am I doing there? It's like this guy's been there for forty years. Itís like 'I think Spock would...'"<p>To see the video, follow the link located <A class="link" HREF="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22425001/vp/28663857#28663857">here</A>.<center></center>

Captain59 January 17 2009 04:59 PM

Re: Orci And Abrams On Fan Reaction

I hope I like this movie. I love that Leonard Nimoy's in it, but I sure hope they pull off one of the biggest cover ups I can remember and Shatner is in there as well. And just because he said it's done, it doesn't mean it can't be tinkered with again for something.

I'd also love to see a cameo of Bakula or Blalock, but I can just pretend.

Procutus January 17 2009 08:55 PM

^

I wouldn't get your hopes up for any of the cameos you mentioned. I could be wrong, but I really, really don't think we'll see Shats make an appearance (though there is a way that it could happen and fit with the plot devices we know about).

I want to like this film too, and I remain optimistic.

trekkerguy January 17 2009 10:28 PM

I think any of those cameos would be one step short of hilarious and completely
out of place in the film.

I'm glad they aren't draggin a bunch of baggage *cough*Shatner*cough*
into this film. Leave the story to the actors and characters that belong in it.

Procutus January 18 2009 05:23 PM

Quote:

trekkerguy wrote: (Post 2513441)
I think any of those cameos would be one step short of hilarious and completely
out of place in the film.

I'm glad they aren't draggin a bunch of baggage *cough*Shatner*cough*
into this film. Leave the story to the actors and characters that belong in it.

I wouldn't necessarily go as far as saying one step short of hilarious TG, but I do agree with you that those characters don't really belong in this story and would serve to clutter the details a bit (confusing all those non-Trek fans that J.J. is catering to).

;)

To be honest, I'm still having a wee bit of a problem with the reference to 'Admiral Archer's prized beagle' in the context that Archer would still be alive at the time the line is uttered by the character in question. The beagle could be a clone, I don't really give a flying frak about that, but even with the tampering to the timelines, events that occur PRIOR to the temporal intervention should remain static. ENT established (by way of data in the Defiant's history banks) that Archer died of old age in 2245.

So unless we're talking about a grandson who made admiral...

:rolleyes:

Picard Alpha January 19 2009 04:58 PM

Was it just me or did Brannon Braga just pat Mr. Orci on the back and say "Nice meeting you" in that video?

M'Sharak January 19 2009 11:54 PM

Quote:

Picard Alpha wrote: (Post 2518426)
Was it just me or did Brannon Braga just pat Mr. Orci on the back and say "Nice meeting you" in that video?

Sorta looked like that, didn't it?

Procutus January 20 2009 12:06 AM

Quote:

Picard Alpha wrote: (Post 2518426)

Yup, that was BB all right.

Scary.

:evil:

Photoman15 January 20 2009 05:27 AM

So what does BB do now? Hang out wherever JJ or Orci are? :)

M'Sharak January 20 2009 06:30 AM

Quote:

Photoman15 wrote: (Post 2520990)
So what does BB do now? Hang out wherever JJ or Orci are? :)

Well, they do still work in the same town and undoubtedly end up at a lot of the same functions, but Braga is currently co-executive producer for 24.

Procutus January 21 2009 02:51 AM

Quote:

M'Sharak wrote: (Post 2521215)

Braga is currently co-executive producer for 24.

So does that mean when Jack says "Dammit! We're running out of time!" that Braga will throw him into a temporal anamoly, thereby giving Bad-Ass more time?

:lol: