The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   General Trek Discussion (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   NX-01 Vs Ncc-1701 D (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=79876)

Infern0 January 17 2009 07:01 AM

NX-01 Vs Ncc-1701 D
 
Please settle a debate for me, The original Enterprise could not beat the D could it? My friend seems to think that the NX could use shield frequencies to disable the D but that cannot be right!

2 of 10 January 17 2009 07:15 AM

Re: NX-01 Vs Ncc-1701 D
 
Your friend is WRONG in his/her assumption. The original Enterprise was built and commisioned in 2286. The Enterprise NCC-D was built commisioned in 2363, that's a total of 77 years of progress in weapons, shields, forcefields...ect. To put in current terms it's 2009, it would be like putting a current top of the line fighter against a top of the line 1932 biplane, no contest...

Infern0 January 17 2009 07:18 AM

Re: NX-01 Vs Ncc-1701 D
 
Actually he was taliking about Jonathan Archer's ship vs Picard's so it's even worse, he just won't listen though

AdmiralGarak January 17 2009 08:37 AM

Re: NX-01 Vs Ncc-1701 D
 
Quote:

Infern0 wrote: (Post 2511794)
My friend seems to think that the NX could use shield frequencies to disable the D but that cannot be right!

I'm not even sure what he means. I guess that he's thinking of Lursa and B'Etor's sneak attack in "Generations".

I see a few obvious flaws in that assessment:
A.) The Klingon's had an inside man (of sorts) to reveal the shield modulation. Archer would not.

B.) Archer and company are unfamiliar with shields, and thus shield modulation.

C.) The NX-01 has no shields, and a 'polarized hull' would probably not withstand a single phaser burst.

D.) The Enterprise-D, however, has been shown to laugh off attacks by primitive starships. Archer would be lucky if 'phase cannons' could peel the paint off of the 1701-D's hull.

Nardpuncher January 17 2009 09:17 AM

Re: NX-01 Vs Ncc-1701 D
 
This is kind of silly. The ship can do whatever the writers make it do in that episode. Every Trek ship could beat any other one depending on the story.
I'm sure if the NX-01 met the Mirror Universe Enterprise -E it would find a way to beat it....because in this instance the NX-01 is the hero ship.

solariabsg25 January 17 2009 11:00 AM

Re: NX-01 Vs Ncc-1701 D
 
Of course the problem with your friend is he expects the NX-01 to be able to adjust their weapons to the D's shield frequencies - except the NX-01 doesn't have shields, so would not be 100% sure how they work.

And I'm sure every race they've encountered who've used shields has said "Well, thankfully you never found out how to rotate your weapon's frequencies."

Even the Duras Sisters had to rely on seeing through Geordie's Visor to rotate their weapons to match any frequency that he rotated the shields to!

Jim Steele January 17 2009 11:15 AM

Re: NX-01 Vs Ncc-1701 D
 
This thread is fucking lame.

Deks January 17 2009 11:44 AM

Re: NX-01 Vs Ncc-1701 D
 
Quote:

Nardpuncher wrote: (Post 2512007)
This is kind of silly. The ship can do whatever the writers make it do in that episode. Every Trek ship could beat any other one depending on the story.
I'm sure if the NX-01 met the Mirror Universe Enterprise -E it would find a way to beat it....because in this instance the NX-01 is the hero ship.

Use some common sense will you?
We are talking about 2 ships that are 200 years apart in terms of technology.
The Enterprise-D would be vastly superior to NX-01 and the rest of the Alpha quadrant of the mid 22nd century, and would be able to engage fleets of those ships and still come out on top (if MU episode of Enterprise is any indication, the 23rd century Constitution class 'Defiant' was safely protected by shields at all times even when it was under a barrage of more powerful 'warships' from Andorians and Vulcans).

The Enterprise-E doesn't even exist in MU from what we know, so i won't even commend on that one.

Yes, your point that the heroes do whatever the writers set them out to do is pretty much accurate ... but you yourself know that we are talking about writers that have issues merging highly advanced tech to work with drama (so they dumb the tech to make the drama flourish, which often fails and ends up insulting people as well).

Nardpuncher January 17 2009 11:53 AM

Re: NX-01 Vs Ncc-1701 D
 
Quote:

Jim Steele wrote: (Post 2512170)
This thread is fucking lame.

I know! It's the epitome of what non-fans would think we discuss here.

Ensign_Redshirt January 17 2009 11:59 AM

Re: NX-01 Vs Ncc-1701 D
 
The NX-01 can only win by cheating... so the question is if Archer is really that smarter than Picard. :)

JNG January 17 2009 12:18 PM

Re: NX-01 Vs Ncc-1701 D
 
Archer would incapacitate the command crew of the Enterprise-D with a boring speech about gazelles. Feeling compelled to listen due to his supposed place in history, they would thus be defeated.

EnsignRicky January 17 2009 04:41 PM

Re: NX-01 Vs Ncc-1701 D
 
I doubt an Akira class could take on the D, much less it's K-car counterpart.

Cyke101 January 17 2009 04:51 PM

Re: NX-01 Vs Ncc-1701 D
 
Quote:

Deks wrote: (Post 2512213)
Quote:

Nardpuncher wrote: (Post 2512007)
This is kind of silly. The ship can do whatever the writers make it do in that episode. Every Trek ship could beat any other one depending on the story.
I'm sure if the NX-01 met the Mirror Universe Enterprise -E it would find a way to beat it....because in this instance the NX-01 is the hero ship.

Use some common sense will you?

Hey, first off, calm down.

Quote:

We are talking about 2 ships that are 200 years apart in terms of technology.
The Enterprise-D would be vastly superior to NX-01 and the rest of the Alpha quadrant of the mid 22nd century, and would be able to engage fleets of those ships and still come out on top (if MU episode of Enterprise is any indication, the 23rd century Constitution class 'Defiant' was safely protected by shields at all times even when it was under a barrage of more powerful 'warships' from Andorians and Vulcans).

The Enterprise-E doesn't even exist in MU from what we know, so i won't even commend on that one.

Yes, your point that the heroes do whatever the writers set them out to do is pretty much accurate ... but you yourself know that we are talking about writers that have issues merging highly advanced tech to work with drama (so they dumb the tech to make the drama flourish, which often fails and ends up insulting people as well).
Normally, I'd agree with you about this, as even a ship that's 10 years older is at a disadvantage. But I think he has a point here: after all, Voyager somehow, someway, managed to beat a fighter from the 29th Century. THAT is the equivalent of a Spanish Armada vessel, with its cannonballs and scimitars, beating an F-14, so really, it does depend on who's writing it. And seeing as how you agree that the writers have all the control, then you yourself know that they can do whatever they please without regard to the viewer's previous (often logical) knowledge or perception.

bryce January 17 2009 05:11 PM

Re: NX-01 Vs Ncc-1701 D
 
Quote:

JNG wrote: (Post 2512257)
Archer would incapacitate the command crew of the Enterprise-D with a boring speech about gazelles. Feeling compelled to listen due to his supposed place in history, they would thus be defeated.

Or, unable the listen one second more to a boring gazelle speech that is even more agony inducing than Vogon a poetry slam, the enemy commander would overload his warp core and blow up the ship to spare himself and his crew from any further pain and suffering.

Lord Garth January 17 2009 05:19 PM

Re: NX-01 Vs Ncc-1701 D
 
Quote:

Normally, I'd agree with you about this, as even a ship that's 10 years older is at a disadvantage. But I think he has a point here: after all, Voyager somehow, someway, managed to beat a fighter from the 29th Century.
That's because Voyager has forward compatibility. :p


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.