The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TrekToday News Items (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Abrams: Trek Fans Will Be Happy With New Film (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=79744)

TrekToday January 16 2009 12:37 AM

Abrams: Trek Fans Will Be Happy With New Film

Trek XI director <font color=yellow>J.J. Abrams</font> reiterated this week the new <i>Trek</i> film should appeal to both existing fans and people new to the franchise.<p>"I would say that the fans of <i>Star Trek</i> will be very happy with the movie," the <A class="link" HREF="http://scifiwire.com/2009/01/jj-abrams-defends-his-star-trek-youll-love-it.php">Sci-Fi Wire</A> quoted Abrams as saying during the Television Critics Association press tour. "It honors what's come before, but I didn't really make the movie just for the people who are already inside, because I like <i>Star Trek</i> but I was never a massive fan. So I think the movie's going to not satisfy everyone, of course. It can't. But it'll satisfy most of both."<p>Abrams made another effort to respond to <font color=yellow>William Shatner's</font> recent YouTube interview, in which the original Kirk actor disputed ever being asked by Abrams to appear in the film. "I think what Mr. Shatner was responding to was a misunderstanding," Abrams said. "I was quoted as saying we tried to get him in the movie. What I meant was we were trying internally to find a way to take a dead character and resurrect him without it seeming lame. We couldn't figure out a way to do it. I think that when I said we tried to get him into the movie, he read it as if we were trying to call him. I would not have wasted his time with a bad idea."<p>Finally, Abrams talked a bit about the ships in the new film, following up on a comment by screenwriter <font color=yellow>Roberto Orci</font> who had called the space battles as still being maritme-influenced. "They're big ships, so I'd say that there is a little bit of that, but there's a little bit more flash and fun and action than you've seen before," Abrams said. "There are some pretty spectacular visual effects. [Industrial Light & Magic] outdid themselves. It's amazing."<p>For the original report from the Sci-Fi Wire, please follow <A class="link" HREF="http://scifiwire.com/2009/01/jj-abrams-defends-his-star-trek-youll-love-it.php">this link</A>.<center></center>

Procutus January 16 2009 01:51 AM

Re: Abrams: Trek Fans Will Be Happy With New Film

So basically, J.J. is still trying to decide what type of movie he made.

:lol:

trekkerguy January 16 2009 02:04 AM

Quote:

Procutus wrote: (Post 2506812)

Um... where does it even hint at that?

He's saying exactly what he said. That it will please most existing fans, and
will be accesible to more casual or non-fans. And that basicaly you can't
please everyone so of course there is going to be those unhappy with it.

Made sense to me. :confused:

donners22 January 16 2009 02:13 AM

I really hate generalisations that "all Star Trek fans" will like or dislike something, as if we all have the same standards, likes and expectations.

billcosby January 16 2009 03:04 AM

With all due respect to TrekToday, are we really going to have a news story to read EVERY TIME J.J. says, "I think it's going to be a great film."

"It's spectacular."

"It's amazing."

I've lost count. And this story adds nothing to what I knew already.

We read the same thing every time Orci says the same thing.

Captain59 January 16 2009 03:31 AM

I hope this isn't J.J.'s version of B&B's valentine to the fans.

Unless this has movie Scott Bakula, Jolene Blalock, or William Shatner in it, it will suck.

Procutus January 16 2009 03:34 AM

Quote:

trekkerguy wrote: (Post 2506859)
Quote:

Procutus wrote: (Post 2506812)

Um... where does it even hint at that?

He's saying exactly what he said. That it will please most existing fans, and
will be accesible to more casual or non-fans. And that basicaly you can't
please everyone so of course there is going to be those unhappy with it.

Made sense to me. :confused:

Dude, don't take everything I write so seriously. I'm just basically busting Abrams' chops a bit. As an old-time Trekker, I have high hopes for this film, even though I know that it's not going to be exactly what I might expect. If it's epic, tells a good story, and most importantly, feels like TOS, then I'll be happy.

It made sense to me too. I'm just messin' with ya.

;)

Broccoli January 16 2009 04:04 AM

Quote:

Captain59 wrote: (Post 2507209)

Unless this has movie Scott Bakula, Jolene Blalock, or William Shatner in it, it will suck.

Well...you are going to be in for a world of disappointment then...

number6 January 16 2009 06:00 AM

Quote:

Broccoli wrote: (Post 2507323)
Quote:

Well...you are going to be in for a world of disappointment then...

I heard from a reliable shareholder of PPC stock that all three are acutally in it.

ShamelessMcBundy January 16 2009 06:47 AM

Quote:

Look, we've all said it billions of times, but it's months until May. Let's just wait and see. BTW, Bakula ruined the franchise. ;)

trekkerguy January 16 2009 02:14 PM

Quote:

ShamelessMcBundy wrote: (Post 2507808)
Quote:

Look, we've all said it billions of times, but it's months until May. Let's just wait and see. BTW, Bakula ruined the franchise. ;)

Bakula played a great version of Bush in Trek but I doubt he ruined the franchise.

... wait. :shifty:

Lol, no seriously I did think he was good. Poor writing drug the franchise.

Procutus January 16 2009 04:12 PM

Quote:

trekkerguy wrote: (Post 2508431)
Quote:

ShamelessMcBundy wrote: (Post 2507808)
Quote:

Bakula played a great version of Bush in Trek but I doubt he ruined the franchise.

... wait. :shifty:

Lol, no seriously I did think he was good. Poor writing drug the franchise.

Sadly, ENT's best stuff came too late with the fourth season. THAT season was what ENT should've been like from the very beginning. IMO, it's a shame it never went further. At least we have the re-launch novels.

trekkerguy January 16 2009 06:46 PM

^^^ Agreed. I liked all of ENT but Season 4 was the pwnage.

T'Cal January 16 2009 10:31 PM

While I disliked the writing for Bakula's character, Archer is canon and there were some very good stories told on ENT. I wouldn't be disappointed at all in seeing Archer/Bakula in this film. In fact, I think that it was FC's alteration of Trek's timeline that created the future that we saw in ENT and that led us to TNG et. al.

Procutus January 17 2009 04:10 AM

^

So are you saying that the ENT timeline didn't exist until the Enterprise-E went back to 2063?