The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies I-X (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   "Borg sounds Swedish?" (First Contact) Why is it funny? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=79354)

Aike January 12 2009 09:39 AM

"Borg sounds Swedish?" (First Contact) Why is it funny?
 
After Picard first mentions the Borg to Lily in FC, she says:

"Borg, sounds Swedish."

Later when she sees them she says:

"Definitely not Swedish."

I am Swedish so I find these lines hilarious. And I know exactly why. But I won´t tell you now since I want to know why non-Swedes think it is funny.

I´d love to hear responses from people who saw TNG during its initial run in the US and maybe in the UK.

The Borg Queen January 12 2009 09:51 AM

Re: "Borg sounds Swedish?" (First Contact) Why is it funny?
 
Because Borg is a Swedish surname?

Therin of Andor January 12 2009 09:53 AM

Re: "Borg sounds Swedish?" (First Contact) Why is it funny?
 
Quote:

Aike wrote: (Post 2493124)
I am Swedish so I find these lines hilarious. And I know exactly why. But I won´t tell you now since I want to know why non-Swedes think it is funny.

Wasn't it a joke aimed at Bjorn Borg?

cultcross January 12 2009 11:26 AM

Re: "Borg sounds Swedish?" (First Contact) Why is it funny?
 
Quote:

Therin of Andor wrote: (Post 2493140)
Quote:

Aike wrote: (Post 2493124)
I am Swedish so I find these lines hilarious. And I know exactly why. But I won´t tell you now since I want to know why non-Swedes think it is funny.

Wasn't it a joke aimed at Bjorn Borg?

That's what I assumed. They'd picked a name derived from 'cyborg' which also happened to be the surname of a very prominent tennis player whose demeanour as the 'Iceman' might have made a connection to the Borg's emotionless attacks. Given the time period, it was therefore a bit of fun to have Lily mix the two up.

Timo January 12 2009 11:58 AM

Re: "Borg sounds Swedish?" (First Contact) Why is it funny?
 
Of course, there's the famous Swedish culinary catchphrase "Bork, bork, bork" as well.

(I guess the OP might also refer to the fact that "Borg" as in Björn Borg or Göteborg/Gothenburg is actually pronounced completely differently in Swedish - it sounds more like "borrj" or "burry", with the final "g" interpreted either as silent or then as transformed into that "j" or "y" sound. That is, there's nothing Swedish about the way Lily says it.)

Timo Saloniemi

Bacl January 12 2009 05:57 PM

Re: "Borg sounds Swedish?" (First Contact) Why is it funny?
 
Uh, I always assumed it was funny because it does sound Sweedish. The Borg are supposed to be a chop-off of cyborg, and it is funny that they ended up with a Sweedish word, and one that many other Sweedish words sound like.

DontFeedPhil January 12 2009 06:30 PM

Re: "Borg sounds Swedish?" (First Contact) Why is it funny?
 
I used to have a sports illustrated magazine that had Bjorn Borg on the cover playing tennis. I remember that well cause my friends and I took the cover off of that magazine and other SI's and put them around our penthouse mags so we could look at them on a trip to Great America theme park. My mom and Dad were very impressed with our interest in Sports Illustrated...They never did figure it out...hahahaha:rommie:

cardinal biggles January 12 2009 06:49 PM

Re: "Borg sounds Swedish?" (First Contact) Why is it funny?
 
That's great. And apart from the tenuous connection to Bjorn Borg, this has what, exactly, to do with the topic at hand?

DontFeedPhil January 12 2009 07:01 PM

Re: "Borg sounds Swedish?" (First Contact) Why is it funny?
 
You mean my comment? It explains why I knew about the Borg comment. Cause that issue said Bjorn Borg on the cover...I remember it well. Thats what!
Ill be more carefull to not take up valuable space with a post that is only 50% relavant to the topic. I gotta remember it must be 90% or more...

Haytil January 12 2009 07:14 PM

Re: "Borg sounds Swedish?" (First Contact) Why is it funny?
 
Quote:

DontFeedPhil wrote: (Post 2494057)
You mean my comment? It explains why I knew about the Borg comment. Cause that issue said Bjorn Borg on the cover...I remember it well. Thats what!
Ill be more carefull to not take up valuable space with a post that is only 50% relavant to the topic. I gotta remember it must be 90% or more...

I thought it was funny and interesting...

That's how stories are recalled and told - inspired by random tangents and flashes.

Semah January 12 2009 07:20 PM

Re: "Borg sounds Swedish?" (First Contact) Why is it funny?
 
http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r...hChefSmall.jpg

Brutal Strudel January 12 2009 07:42 PM

Re: "Borg sounds Swedish?" (First Contact) Why is it funny?
 
Quote:

Haytil wrote: (Post 2494094)
Quote:

DontFeedPhil wrote: (Post 2494057)
You mean my comment? It explains why I knew about the Borg comment. Cause that issue said Bjorn Borg on the cover...I remember it well. Thats what!
Ill be more carefull to not take up valuable space with a post that is only 50% relavant to the topic. I gotta remember it must be 90% or more...

I thought it was funny and interesting...

That's how stories are recalled and told - inspired by random tangents and flashes.

This is the internet! Porn is always 100% relevant!

Candlelight January 12 2009 10:45 PM

Re: "Borg sounds Swedish?" (First Contact) Why is it funny?
 
"Locutus? Sounds Italian"

Elder Knight January 13 2009 04:42 AM

Re: "Borg sounds Swedish?" (First Contact) Why is it funny?
 
I thought that pianist-comedian Victor Borge was the inspiration.

Bacl January 13 2009 05:01 AM

Re: "Borg sounds Swedish?" (First Contact) Why is it funny?
 
Quote:

Candlelight wrote: (Post 2494796)
"Locutus? Sounds Italian"

"Jean-Luc? Sounds French...but you sound British! J'accuse!"


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.