The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Abandoned London (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=78799)

Hermiod January 6 2009 09:26 AM

Abandoned London

Inspired by 28 Days Later, a photographer went out early on Christmas morning and took photos of London without any people.

There's also a larger collection on Flickr.

This one is especially unbelievable - Piccadilly Circus is never that empty!:
http://scifiworld.googlepages.com/31...56d31f5b3d.jpg

The above image is hosted on my personal Google Pages webspace and is not a hotlink.

The Festivus Awakens January 6 2009 09:39 AM

Re: Abandoned London

Impressive collection of photographs. It's amazing - even on Christmas morning - that the streets of a city of that size can be so empty.

RoJoHen January 6 2009 09:42 AM

As I have no idea what London normally looks like, I can't say I'm terribly impressed. :p

Hermiod January 6 2009 09:46 AM

Quote:

RoJoHen wrote: (Post 2472571)
As I have no idea what London normally looks like, I can't say I'm terribly impressed. :p

I'll give you a clue, normally around this time of year if you want to imagine what London looks like just think "Malthusian catastrophe" and you'll get an idea.

Niorah January 6 2009 11:03 AM

That looks like all of my nightmares come true.

That movie scared the hell out of me, as do all "disaster" or "apocalyptic" movies.

Very impressive photos.

RJDonner&Blitzen January 6 2009 11:31 AM

I remember hanging around New York City around dawn, in the Village, Central Park, the Battery and the World Trade Center. It was definitely eerie, being as deserted as those pictures of London. Then, when the sun came up, homeless people started crawling out of all their nooks and crannies and I remarked that it was reminiscent of Dawn Of The Dead. :eek:

RoJoHen January 6 2009 11:32 AM

Quote:

RJDiogenes wrote: (Post 2472666)
I remember hanging around New York City around dawn, in the Village, Central Park, the Battery and the World Trade Center. It was definitely eerie, being as deserted as those pictures of London. Then, when the sun came up, homeless people started crawling out of all their nooks and crannies and I remarked that it was reminiscent of Dawn Of The Dead. :eek:

Spooky.

Deckerd January 6 2009 02:00 PM

I thought NY was the city that never sleeps.

stoneroses January 6 2009 03:32 PM

Nice version of a very old idea.

RoJoHen January 6 2009 03:37 PM

Quote:

Deckerd wrote: (Post 2472822)

I thought that was Vegas.

An Officer January 6 2009 03:38 PM

Amazing! I looked at the full set of pictures, and that guy covered a lot of ground in a short time!

Deckerd January 6 2009 03:41 PM

Quote:

RoJoHen wrote: (Post 2472985)
Quote:

Deckerd wrote: (Post 2472822)

I thought that was Vegas.

I'm only going by the song.

Start spreadin' the news ...

Hermiod January 6 2009 03:44 PM

Quote:

An Officer wrote: (Post 2472987)
Amazing! I looked at the full set of pictures, and that guy covered a lot of ground in a short time!

Depends, really - I always find that the Tube map makes Central London look a lot bigger than it really is.

An Officer January 6 2009 03:54 PM

If anything, the map makes it look smaller! London is a huge city. Even from the air, it stretches horizon to horizon and doesn't seem to end. I've walked to and from a lot of those locations myself (as walking is my predominant form of travel), and it ain't as quick as it looks, let me tell you that. It is doable of course, especially on a bike, as he had. Still, I wouldn't like to do ALL of those locations in a SINGLE morning!

Hermiod January 6 2009 03:59 PM

I walk around in London a lot. It only takes me, for instance, 30 minutes to get from work in Southwark to Oxford Street. I could probably make it to all the places he went to in a few hours.