The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   I finally watched Firefly! (SPOILERS) (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=78698)

Savage Dragon January 5 2009 09:11 AM

I finally watched Firefly! (SPOILERS)

I know the spoiler warning might not be necessary but just in case anyone else out there still means to watch it I thought I would include it.

With a four day weekend ahead of us and no new TV to watch my wife and I finally decided to watch Firefly. I have to say we both really liked it. It's such a shame it got canceled, but that seems to happen to a lot of shows we like.

One thing I wish I had known going into this show was not to watch it going by the original air dates. For some stupid reason the network didn't want to use the original pilot. It must have aired on Fox. Still, it didn't take away from my understanding or enjoyment of the show.

We watched the last five episodes on Saturday night so that we could watch Serenity on Sunday. The movie did not disappoint either, although it would have been nice if Shepard Book had had a little more to do in the movie.

A couple other things about the movie:

I know it's very unlikely that we'll see anymore stories about the crew of Serenity but I would be very stoked if it ever happened.

Hermiod January 5 2009 10:42 AM

Re: I finally watched Firefly! (SPOILERS)

^There is the comic book which Joss writes. I have not read it myself.

The sad truth is that the show was cut short. There are a lot of stories they never had the chance to tell.

Deckerd January 5 2009 11:20 AM

Yes I think Whedon had lots of back stories he wanted to tease out but it's all academic now. He did the best he could within one movie's limitations.

Savage Dragon January 5 2009 11:58 AM

It was indeed a great flick. My biggest disappointment is that we won't get any of those back stories. :(

Trekker4747 January 5 2009 12:48 PM

Why did you watch it in air-date order rather than in the order laid out on the DVDs?

Savage Dragon January 5 2009 12:56 PM

^ I didn't watch it from the DVDs. It's kind of hard to get stuff like that in Romania so I had to resort to other means.

Ptrope January 5 2009 04:17 PM

^^

Ahh! Yeah, I'd have suggested you find the correct order online and watch them that way - it really does make a positive difference. FOX, in their 'wisdom,' showed the pilot as the last episode!

The comics take place between the series and Serenity, so you get plenty of Book and Wash action ;).

cultcross January 5 2009 04:56 PM

Quote:

TheSeeker wrote: (Post 2468860)
A couple other things about the movie:

One of the major disappointments for me about the show's cancellation is that we never got to find out what Book's backstory was. He was played as this mysterious character whose ID gets you full usage of an Alliance cruiser, and had the series continued, I don't think Joss would have killed him any time soon. But it was, as you've demonstrated, a hard-hitting death for the movie script.

Lindley January 5 2009 05:04 PM

The working theory is that Book was a former Operative.

Pilot Ace January 5 2009 05:10 PM

Quote:

TheSeeker wrote: (Post 2469050)
^ I didn't watch it from the DVDs. It's kind of hard to get stuff like that in Romania so I had to resort to other means.

That's a strange set of means if they followed the broadcast order... I'm now a little curious. Did you get to watch the episodes that hadn't aired on television too?

Savage Dragon January 5 2009 05:37 PM

^I think so. The last one I watched was the one where Mal and Zoe's friend has himself delivered to them in a coffin, apparently dead.

Mistral January 5 2009 07:48 PM

What about the bounty hunter? Isn't that s'posed to be the last episode?

DarkProphet January 5 2009 08:54 PM

Why don't you just order the DVDs from amazon.com?

RoJoHen January 5 2009 09:19 PM

Quote:

Mistral wrote: (Post 2469966)

"Objects in Space," and yes, it's the final episode.

Harvey January 5 2009 09:20 PM

Quote:

Mistral wrote: (Post 2469966)

Joss Whedon prefers it that way, but The Message was the last episode filmed. Notice Whedon's cameo at the funeral.