The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Comic Book Frames (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=78419)

Broccoli January 1 2009 09:10 PM

Comic Book Frames
 
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but oh well.

Last summer, I went to Wizard World and one vendor there was selling frames for comic books. I thought this was cool, but I didn't think to buy one. Now I am kicking myself, because I am considering framing some of my comics that I've gotten signed and what not.

I did a Google search for comic book frames, and I have seen some sites that sell them. However, because it is online, I do not know which good frames and which crappy ones.

Has anyone here ever gotten comic frames? If so, which ones and were you pleased with them?

Thanks!

Ultimale January 3 2009 10:08 PM

Re: Comic Book Frames
 
First of all, thanks very much for posting this. I've been looking to frame my comics for years now, or at least, some of them (I have a few thousand stretching over twenty-five years) I know that years ago, there was a decent framing system involving two sheets of Lucite and screws. You can still get these Lucite sandwiches, but they're costly. Not sure about the other frames you mention, but could you post links? I framed what I'm fairly certain is the first comic I ever read in a simple wooden picture frame. It's a placeholder until I manage something better.

Tomato January 4 2009 04:30 AM

Re: Comic Book Frames
 
Do you plan on ever reading your comics. If not the CGC system might be okay. Although if you are trying to display it like art having the rating right there might lose its luster.

TheBrew January 4 2009 04:32 AM

Re: Comic Book Frames
 
I would be interested in one as well. I actually want to frame my copies of the originally Watchman run.

JAG January 4 2009 05:53 PM

Re: Comic Book Frames
 
Have you tried looking in CBG( Comic Buyers Guide) They run ads from different companies that are obviously geared toward the comic collector.

Broccoli January 5 2009 01:44 AM

Re: Comic Book Frames
 
Most I've seen run about $15. That seems pretty reasonable for a odd-ball frame.

I've found frames at the following links:
http://www.rockartpictureshow.com/comicbookframe.html
http://www.comicbookframes.com/
http://www.wonderviewframes.com/
http://www.target.com/Comic-Book-Fra.../dp/B001AFJD1G

Again, the thing is, I don't know which are good and which are lousy. I'm not looking for anything high-end. Just something that looks nice and won't fall apart.

Quote:

JAG wrote: (Post 2466636)
Have you tried looking in CBG( Comic Buyers Guide) They run ads from different companies that are obviously geared toward the comic collector.

I haven't looked there. Next time I am in a book store, I'll thumb through an issue.

firehawk12 January 5 2009 11:21 PM

Re: Comic Book Frames
 
Quote:

Tomato wrote: (Post 2465572)
Do you plan on ever reading your comics. If not the CGC system might be okay. Although if you are trying to display it like art having the rating right there might lose its luster.

This Mona Lisa is rated 8.9... near mint!

OmahaStar January 5 2009 11:33 PM

Re: Comic Book Frames
 
Probably a silly suggestion, but ... Have you checked with your local comic book store? The one closest to me carries a selection of frames, in addition to the standard bag & board supply. Yours may as well, and you could see for yourself whether it is what you want, without paying first.

Broccoli January 8 2009 05:11 AM

Re: Comic Book Frames
 
Quote:

OmahaStar wrote: (Post 2470875)
Probably a silly suggestion, but ... Have you checked with your local comic book store? The one closest to me carries a selection of frames, in addition to the standard bag & board supply. Yours may as well, and you could see for yourself whether it is what you want, without paying first.

First thing I did. I called around to a couple of different shops. None carried them. One or two even looked at me as if I was crazy that such a thing would exist. They suggested a few places like Hobby Lobby, but no luck when I checked there.

Quote:

firehawk12 wrote: (Post 2470834)
Quote:

Tomato wrote: (Post 2465572)
Do you plan on ever reading your comics. If not the CGC system might be okay. Although if you are trying to display it like art having the rating right there might lose its luster.

This Mona Lisa is rated 8.9... near mint!

:lol:

firehawk12 January 8 2009 06:12 AM

Re: Comic Book Frames
 
You know, maybe I'm being a bit silly here, but wouldn't a normal picture frame work? At the very least, you can get someone to make a frame at a custom size.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.