The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   General Trek Discussion (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   How to create a Cardassian? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=78375)

Nerys Ghemor January 1 2009 01:42 AM

How to create a Cardassian?
 
I'm trying to get an idea from those with some experience at making costumes what it would take to create a fairly reasonable-looking Cardassian appearance for a sci-fi/fantasy convention.

I will NOT be attempting the armor--it's the ridges and scales I'm trying to figure out how to do. Given the correct tools, I trust myself to do any artwork involved (I already draw OK and even have a pretty detailed drawing of how Cardassian features would look, so it's just another hand-eye exercise)--the key is going to be budget and time involved. Has anyone attempted something of that magnitude before? If so, how did you do it, and where did you buy the stuff you needed?

I've got until late March, and I'd like to have some idea if I should even attempt this or if I need to wait until another year before I can afford trying something like this.

I feel like such a doofus asking about even trying a thing like this. I know it sounds freaky, but it's not like I'm planning on wearing this anywhere BUT the convention, which has a costume contest. (I do, however, look forward to any stares I may get while sitting in traffic that day. ;) ) I see this simply as attempting another art form...I do writing, drawing, and music already, so what's one more?

sbk1234 January 1 2009 01:47 AM

Re: How to create a Cardassian?
 
Well, when a mommy and daddy Cardassian love each other very much, they hug in a special way....

Nerys Ghemor January 1 2009 01:48 AM

Re: How to create a Cardassian?
 
:rolleyes:

Moving right along...

teacake January 1 2009 01:58 AM

Re: How to create a Cardassian?
 
I just about died laughing reading that sbk1234..

OP I will be very interested to read how it turns out. I assume there is actual stage makeup stuff that would be useful to you, putty stuff to make the ridges out of. There was a costume thread in General I believe with some awesome photos.

Nerys Ghemor January 1 2009 02:04 AM

Re: How to create a Cardassian?
 
I'm not exactly sure whether simple putty would be enough to pull off something that extensive--and that's one of the things I'm trying to find out. I'm thinking I'd actually have to create something with latex in order to look even halfway "decent," but I have no idea what expense level we're talking when it comes to an undertaking like that.

Just to give you an idea...I'd be making some modifications to make this more true to the screen as opposed to stylized for drawing, but this is the end-state I have in mind: http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=6533

JNG January 1 2009 08:27 AM

Re: How to create a Cardassian?
 
^

That link is not working for me.

George Steinbrenner January 1 2009 08:36 AM

Re: How to create a Cardassian?
 
Quote:

sbk1234 wrote: (Post 2457009)
Well, when a mommy and daddy Cardassian love each other very much, they hug in a special way....

:guffaw:

And drink lots of Kanar...

Geoff Peterson January 1 2009 09:58 AM

Re: How to create a Cardassian?
 
Doe you have an old spoon?

Marie1 January 1 2009 05:26 PM

Re: How to create a Cardassian?
 
I'm not sure silly putty would work...
You could buy a mask.
Otherwise, I'd say get a close-up of a Cardassian, preferably a couple of angles.
Start, preferably, with some kind of flexible material for the ridges that could be glued on (make sure you can get it off!) Then, cover the whole thing with the all-over gray base coat. Then do the unique scales with a darker colour.

You can't use most things, paper mache, some clays etc because they shrink when dry, and almost be careful of clay, some of its toxic. But according to this website, there is a kind of plaster...
http://www.creative-chemistry.org.uk...ties/masks.htm

cultcross January 1 2009 05:38 PM

Re: How to create a Cardassian?
 
Latex is obviously your best bet for realism, but that is fairly complex. A brief guide is found here. That site also sells packs to allow you to make appliances or full face masks - they're pricey, in the $300 range, but would probably give you the best (most life-like) results.
There exist specialised glues for attaching appliances to your face, which come off with alcohol but won't 'sweat' off.
The actual makeup is applied to the latex and to your skin, using sponges to blend the colour into your skin and hide the edges of the appliance.

Nerys Ghemor January 1 2009 05:57 PM

Re: How to create a Cardassian?
 
Quote:

JNG wrote: (Post 2457646)
^

That link is not working for me.

My bad! Try this one...

http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=65339

And indeed that does look pricey, and quite damaging to my modest budget. Unless I can find a cheaper alternative, it looks like I'll probably have to wait...

dreadpiraterose January 1 2009 06:10 PM

Re: How to create a Cardassian?
 
Quote:

Nerys Ghemor wrote: (Post 2458244)
Quote:

JNG wrote: (Post 2457646)
^

That link is not working for me.

My bad! Try this one...

http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=65339

And indeed that does look pricey, and quite damaging to my modest budget. Unless I can find a cheaper alternative, it looks like I'll probably have to wait...

Yeah, the problem with a Cardassian is that if you aren't willing to invest a lot of time and money into it, it won't look good. You're going to need to do a lot of trial and error, and a lot of sculpting wax/putty/latex and make up. It isn't enough to just do the ridges, you have to consider the neck and hairline too. You'll probably also need to invest in a wig. I wouldn't even know where to begin in terms of the neck.

Nerys Ghemor January 1 2009 06:25 PM

Re: How to create a Cardassian?
 
I think I have a fair idea of how to pull that part off...getting my measurements exactly right, however, would be absolutely critical to get the effect to work. I expect in order to pull it off, I'd have to have not just a mould of my head, but also of the neck and shoulders area to build on everything. What I would guess I'd have to do would be sculpt the neck ridges and then layer on the initial coats of latex--and then once everything was dry, take it off the sculpture and fill that area in somewhat to give it enough strength to hold up to having the neckline of my shirt/dress on it without giving way.

The wig, in the case of the design I have in mind, actually appears to be one of the less costly parts of the costume considering there would be no complex styles involved...all I'd have to do is get a simple straight-haired wig and then weave the braids into it myself. I think I already have beads on hand that I could use (and if I don't, I could get hold of something cheap that would work). The clothes probably wouldn't be awful if I can get some things at a consignment shop on the cheap to experiment on and destroy if necessary. ;)

Figuring out how to do the rest on discount (but still get something fairly authentic-looking)...that's going to be tricky! Realistically, it now seems like I'll have to build this up over a few years at least, to avoid breaking my budget at any given time.

dreadpiraterose January 3 2009 03:11 AM

Re: How to create a Cardassian?
 
Quote:

Nerys Ghemor wrote: (Post 2458317)
I think I have a fair idea of how to pull that part off...getting my measurements exactly right, however, would be absolutely critical to get the effect to work. I expect in order to pull it off, I'd have to have not just a mould of my head, but also of the neck and shoulders area to build on everything. What I would guess I'd have to do would be sculpt the neck ridges and then layer on the initial coats of latex--and then once everything was dry, take it off the sculpture and fill that area in somewhat to give it enough strength to hold up to having the neckline of my shirt/dress on it without giving way.

The wig, in the case of the design I have in mind, actually appears to be one of the less costly parts of the costume considering there would be no complex styles involved...all I'd have to do is get a simple straight-haired wig and then weave the braids into it myself. I think I already have beads on hand that I could use (and if I don't, I could get hold of something cheap that would work). The clothes probably wouldn't be awful if I can get some things at a consignment shop on the cheap to experiment on and destroy if necessary. ;)

Figuring out how to do the rest on discount (but still get something fairly authentic-looking)...that's going to be tricky! Realistically, it now seems like I'll have to build this up over a few years at least, to avoid breaking my budget at any given time.

Definitely better to wait and do it right than do it half way, I think.

SonicRanger January 3 2009 05:50 AM

Re: How to create a Cardassian?
 
Why not cannibalize a pre-made Cardassian mask?

http://www.anniescostumes.com/bigtrek.htm


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.