The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Officer Alex J. Murphy (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=78014)

nx1701g December 27 2008 07:13 AM

Officer Alex J. Murphy

Just a few moments ago I was watching Robocop and I was thinking about Peter Weller's performance as Murphy/Robocop. Then I remembered that a reboot of the film is under development.

If you were the casting director who would you go with to portray Murphy/RoboCop in the new film?

captcalhoun December 27 2008 08:26 AM

Re: Officer Alex J. Murphy

peter weller.

Mutenroshi December 27 2008 08:44 AM

If I were the casting director of that movie I would shoot everyone in the room and then turn the gun against myself while shouting "the original is perfect as is!!!"

BANG!

DRMidnite December 27 2008 09:21 AM

Quote:

Kinky Santa wrote: (Post 2443925)
If I were the casting director of that movie I would shoot everyone in the room and then turn the gun against myself while shouting "the original is perfect as is!!!"

BANG!

AMEN!!!

JonathonWally December 27 2008 09:26 AM

Patrick Stewart.

It would rock.

Locutus of Bored December 27 2008 09:42 AM

Just to typecast him in roles where he shows half his face...

Aaron Eckhart

Seriously though, I can see him filling in for Weller appearance-wise. The voice might need some work to sound more monotone and robotic.

Zion Ravescene December 27 2008 09:43 AM

If they make a reboot, they'll have to do the mandatory TV-friendly edit too. :guffaw:

As for the next Murphy? Apart from the original guy (as mentioned before) I'd choose Viggo Mortensen.

nx1701g December 27 2008 10:07 AM

Quote:

captcalhoun wrote: (Post 2443907)
peter weller.

While I agree they've already said its going to be a fresh reboot.

Aragorn December 27 2008 11:02 AM

Would they be going after a big name? Would a big name want to cover his face for most of the movie and wear that cumbersome costume?

How about Mark Valley?

Trekker4747 December 27 2008 12:39 PM

Vin Diesel.

;)

Nociod December 27 2008 12:43 PM

All this talk about Robocop made me realize that I only have it on VHS, and not DVD, so I just bought the trilogy pack on DVD :lol:

Don't know if Im gonna watch the third movie when it arrives though, man I remeber that sucked.. But we'll see.

But back on topic.. Peter Weller really made the character Alex Murphy work, I don't know if the new actor can live up to that, but I'll watch the movie with an open mind :)

slappy December 27 2008 06:11 PM

Quote:

Kinky Santa wrote: (Post 2443925)

BANG!

Then I, in the role of studio exec, would walk in the room, shake my head, and say "The original wasn't going anywhere. We weren't burning the DVDs! It's fiction dammit! You didn't have to dieeeeee!" Then drop to my knees and vow to honor you all by doing the remake anyway.

davejames December 27 2008 06:59 PM

Quote:

Nociod wrote: (Post 2444124)
All this talk about Robocop made me realize that I only have it on VHS, and not DVD, so I just bought the trilogy pack on DVD :lol:

Don't know if Im gonna watch the third movie when it arrives though, man I remeber that sucked.. But we'll see.

But back on topic.. Peter Weller really made the character Alex Murphy work, I don't know if the new actor can live up to that, but I'll watch the movie with an open mind :)

I have to admit Robo's big entrance in the third movie is pretty cool, but... that's about it.

As for a new Murphy, it's gotta be some average, ordinary looking guy like Weller was. That's what makes it so cool later when we see him come back as a hulking, cyborg badass and get his revenge on everybody. :D

Eckhart is too much of a matinee idol to pull that same thing off.

Temis the Vorta December 27 2008 09:06 PM

Quote:

Scrooge4747 wrote: (Post 2444119)
Vin Diesel.

;)

Nah, my boy is gonna be too busy with Judge Dredd! :p

Aragorn December 27 2008 10:41 PM

Quote:

davejames wrote: (Post 2444577)
As for a new Murphy, it's gotta be some average, ordinary looking guy like Weller was. That's what makes it so cool later when we see him come back as a hulking, cyborg badass and get his revenge on everybody. :D

Dead or alive, you're coming with me!
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/4...ermalotkq9.jpg