The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Fan Art (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   A shout out to a VERY worthy mesh! (McQuarrie-prise) (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=77946)

darkwing_duck1 December 26 2008 02:08 AM

A shout out to a VERY worthy mesh! (McQuarrie-prise)

I NEVER thought I'd see someone make a creditable mesh out of this concept, but this guy over at SciFi-Meshes has done it!

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/3...totype-12.html

FANTASTIC work!

R˙cher December 26 2008 02:18 AM

Re: A shout out to a VERY worthy mesh! (McQuarrie-prise)

help us out, those who don't want to register?

darkwing_duck1 December 26 2008 02:24 AM

Wish I could, but the images don't have credit tags on them, so reposting them would be a violation of the rules here...sorry.

Hey, it's free to register though, and if you like sci-fi art the site has a LOT more to offer! :)

BolianAuthor December 26 2008 02:30 AM

Indeed, he did a stunning job with the design.

sbk1234 December 26 2008 10:20 PM

Just saw it. Yeah, it's a beaut! I remember back in 1986, when I first heard about "the new Star Trek series," that took place in the 24th Century. I thought they would use that same McQuairrie design. I'm sorry now they didn't.

darkwing_duck1 December 26 2008 10:49 PM

Quote:

sbk1234 wrote: (Post 2442888)
Just saw it. Yeah, it's a beaut! I remember back in 1986, when I first heard about "the new Star Trek series," that took place in the 24th Century. I thought they would use that same McQuairrie design. I'm sorry now they didn't.

I think Probert must've been at least subconsciously influenced by it, given how the E-D turned out...

trekkerguy December 27 2008 04:21 AM

Holy shit... that could still be used. Was there an actual name for this class?

sbk1234 December 27 2008 04:34 AM

I call it the "Shoulda Been-Class."

trekkerguy December 27 2008 04:38 AM

Quote:

sbk1234 wrote: (Post 2443572)
I call it the "Shoulda Been-Class."

Eh, I like the Galaxy and think it fits the show better.

But this could certainly have been used somewhere in the series.
Would look great with TNG textures.

judexavier December 27 2008 07:48 AM

I could see the shape as something smaller, a 400' "scout" ship, with the "wings" etc.
very slick, "finished" look...very nice.

darkwing_duck1 December 27 2008 02:18 PM

Quote:

trekkerguy wrote: (Post 2443548)

The old Treknology publicaitons had her listed as the Ariel-class "shuttlecarrier". The study model appeared in a few "graveyard" scenes in TNG, and may be known as the "Gage type"...

Dukhat December 28 2008 12:11 AM

Quote:

darkwing_duck1 wrote: (Post 2444210)
Quote:

The old Treknology publicaitons had her listed as the Ariel-class "shuttlecarrier". The study model appeared in a few "graveyard" scenes in TNG, and may be known as the "Gage type"...

Actually, there were two different (but similar-looking) McQuarrie study models. One was used in the Qualor II surplus depot in "Unification," and the other was used as a docked background ship in Spacedock in Star Trek III. It would be incorrect to refer to it as the "Gage-type," because the Gage was only mentioned in a first draft of DS9's "Emissary" and was neither seen nor spoken of in the final televised draft.

bryce December 28 2008 01:06 AM

Damn it! I have an old account there and it *still* won't let me see it! When I click on an image like I just get:

Quote:

03-K64, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?

2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
*mad*

darkwing_duck1 December 28 2008 01:20 AM

Quote:

Dukhat wrote: (Post 2445254)
Quote:

darkwing_duck1 wrote: (Post 2444210)
Quote:

Actually, there were two different (but similar-looking) McQuarrie study models. One was used in the Qualor II surplus depot in "Unification," and the other was used as a docked background ship in Spacedock in Star Trek III. It would be incorrect to refer to it as the "Gage-type," because the Gage was only mentioned in a first draft of DS9's "Emissary" and was neither seen nor spoken of in the final televised draft.

I will accept your stipulation. The only sources I could come up with had the study models as the "Gage type", but that may be in error (as you suggest).

darkwing_duck1 December 28 2008 01:22 AM

Quote:

bryce wrote: (Post 2445337)
Damn it! I have an old account there and it *still* won't let me see it! When I click on an image like I just get:

Quote:

03-K64, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?

2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
*mad*

If it's an old account, it may well be reason #2. Try contacting the admin over there about your account.

In the meantime, I suppose I could shoot you an email or two. (Would THAT be violating the board rules?)