The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Why is the Adam West's Batman TV series not on DVD? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=77067)

Falcor5 December 16 2008 04:10 PM

Why is the Adam West's Batman TV series not on DVD?
 
I was flipping through the channels this morning and saw the old Adam West Batman movie on tv. Its such a fun campy movie it got me wondering why the Batman series from the 60's with Adam West is not on DVD? I would buy it in a second! It seems that most every tv series is on DVD these days and I would think with all the hype with the Dark Knight it would have been the perfect time to release the show in season sets but I guess not? Anyone know if there are any plans to release the series on DVD soon?

ITL December 16 2008 04:17 PM

Re: Why is the Adam West's Batman TV series not on DVD?
 
According to Wiki...

Kryton December 16 2008 04:22 PM

Re: Why is the Adam West's Batman TV series not on DVD?
 
It's all about the rights. It's even tied to the whole Watchmen fiasco.

Read this fascinating article from September: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Bat...Reported/10573

paudemge December 16 2008 05:04 PM

Re: Why is the Adam West's Batman TV series not on DVD?
 
It's got to be the rights, i'm pretty sure it would sell pretty good. Even with the newer movies, I think for a lot of people Adam West is the first person they think of when you say batman.

Falcor5 December 16 2008 05:05 PM

Re: Why is the Adam West's Batman TV series not on DVD?
 
Quote:

Kryton Kryngle wrote: (Post 2410439)
It's all about the rights. It's even tied to the whole Watchmen fiasco.

Read this fascinating article from September: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Bat...Reported/10573

Wow doesn't sound like we will be getting it on DVD for a VERY long time if Ever after reading that. Its a shame as I am sure Adam West would love to do episode commentaries and he wont be around forever. :(

donshackleford December 16 2008 06:27 PM

Re: Why is the Adam West's Batman TV series not on DVD?
 
It is because of the contracts that have to be written up with all of the guest stars or there estates and also george barris 20 century fox and warner brothers for royalty's and since there were so many guest stars and such it is a logistical nightmare besides everyone wants a slice of the pie as such

Siwilliams December 16 2008 06:49 PM

Re: Why is the Adam West's Batman TV series not on DVD?
 
www.tvshowsondvd.com has said there are a bunch of rights issues to deal with in order to release the series on dvd. They said they could be close to releasing them though

Here is an article

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Bat...Reported/10573

God Magnus December 16 2008 07:01 PM

Re: Why is the Adam West's Batman TV series not on DVD?
 
Geebus. You'd need a small army of lawyers to begin sorting that mess out! Sad. :(

Siwilliams December 16 2008 07:03 PM

Re: Why is the Adam West's Batman TV series not on DVD?
 
Quote:

God Magnus wrote: (Post 2411051)
Geebus. You'd need a small army of lawyers to begin sorting that mess out! Sad. :(

I know its' crazy. I think once a show has a song in it, it should always remain in it. I know you have to update the license but you should be able to release things as the show originally was for dvd

That is the reason Malcolm In The Middle series is not all on dvd, rights issues

Hermiod December 16 2008 07:44 PM

Re: Why is the Adam West's Batman TV series not on DVD?
 
The biggest problem would seem to be the cameos. Fox own the episodes, WB own the characters but I'm sure someone else entirely owns Lurch, Colonel Klink and all of the other characters who made cameos.

Kryton December 16 2008 09:14 PM

Re: Why is the Adam West's Batman TV series not on DVD?
 
Quote:

Siwilliams wrote: (Post 2410982)
www.tvshowsondvd.com has said there are a bunch of rights issues to deal with in order to release the series on dvd. They said they could be close to releasing them though

Here is an article

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Bat...Reported/10573

Good job reading the thread. :rolleyes:

Siwilliams December 16 2008 09:23 PM

Re: Why is the Adam West's Batman TV series not on DVD?
 
Quote:

Kryton Kryngle wrote: (Post 2411687)
Quote:

Siwilliams wrote: (Post 2410982)
www.tvshowsondvd.com has said there are a bunch of rights issues to deal with in order to release the series on dvd. They said they could be close to releasing them though

Here is an article

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Bat...Reported/10573

Good job reading the thread. :rolleyes:

Only read the first post

RandyS December 16 2008 10:49 PM

Re: Why is the Adam West's Batman TV series not on DVD?
 
Quote:

Hermiod wrote: (Post 2411282)
The biggest problem would seem to be the cameos. Fox own the episodes, WB own the characters but I'm sure someone else entirely owns Lurch, Colonel Klink and all of the other characters who made cameos.

The simple solution would be to cut them out. My local station did that for commercial time. None of my tapes has them. I only know about them by what I've read.

Allyn Gibson December 16 2008 11:10 PM

Re: Why is the Adam West's Batman TV series not on DVD?
 
Quote:

Siwilliams wrote: (Post 2411062)
I think once a show has a song in it, it should always remain in it. I know you have to update the license but you should be able to release things as the show originally was for dvd

That is the reason Malcolm In The Middle series is not all on dvd, rights issues

What's sad about that case in particular is that after the second season, Malcolm stopped using then-current music in the episodes. Seasons 3 and up would be in the clear, but because the first season DVD set sold poorly, the season 2 box set was cancelled and there's no likelihood of getting the later seasons. :/

Siwilliams December 16 2008 11:58 PM

Re: Why is the Adam West's Batman TV series not on DVD?
 
Quote:

Allyn Gibson wrote: (Post 2412247)
Quote:

Siwilliams wrote: (Post 2411062)
I think once a show has a song in it, it should always remain in it. I know you have to update the license but you should be able to release things as the show originally was for dvd

That is the reason Malcolm In The Middle series is not all on dvd, rights issues

What's sad about that case in particular is that after the second season, Malcolm stopped using then-current music in the episodes. Seasons 3 and up would be in the clear, but because the first season DVD set sold poorly, the season 2 box set was cancelled and there's no likelihood of getting the later seasons. :/

I did not know about the sales to the first season


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.