The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TrekToday News Items (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Reunion (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=76767)

TrekToday December 13 2008 12:26 AM

Reunion

<b>Plot Summary:</b> Worf's onetime lover, the half-human, half-Kllingon ambassador K'Ehleyr, hails Picard with an urgent request and comes aboard the Enterprise with her young son Alexander. K'Ehleyr then drops two bombshells: that Worf is the child's father, and that dying Klingon leader K'mpec wants Picard to moderate the struggle to choose his successor. K'mpec is dying of a slow poison and hopes that Picard can discover which of the two candidates is responsible - the ambitious Gowron, or Duras, whose family dishonor led to Worf's discommendation from the Klingon High Council. Before Picard can complete the Rite of Succession, an explosion kills several guests at K'mpec's wake, including men from both Duras's and Gowron's delegations. To stall for time, K'Ehleyr suggests that Picard invoke the Ja'chuq, a lengthy listing of a candidate's battles and victories. When K'Ehleyr agrees to become Worf's mate, only to learn that he does not wish for her and her child to suffer his discommendation, she begins to investigate what happened the last time the Enterprise visited the Klingon homeworld. She is also offered a bribe by Gowron to help curry favor with Picard, but Worf remains adamant that no matter Gowron's flaws, the traitorous Duras must not lead the Empire. LaForge and Data discover that the bomb used a Romulan detonator, which makes Worf even more suspicious of Duras because of the deal his father secretly made with the Romulans at Khitomer. Once K'Ehleyr uncovers the conspiracy that led to Worf's discommendation, she confronts Duras and tells him her suspicions about his current deception. When Worf finds her bruised and bleeding, she tells him that Duras was her attacker before dying. Worf transports to Duras's ship and demands the right of vengeance, killing Duras even though Duras could clear Worf's father's name of crimes at Khitomer. When Worf returns to the Enterprise, he acknowledges Alexander as his son but tells the boy that he will be happier raised by Worf's adoptive human parents, the Rozhenkos. Picard sympathizes with Worf's continuing desire to clear his family's name but gives him a reprimand for leaving the ship to kill Duras against Starfleet regulations.<p><p><HR ALIGN="CENTER" SIZE="1" WIDTH="45%" COLOR="#007BB5"><p>To read the full reviews, please click <A HREF="http://www.treknation.com/reviews/tng/reunion.shtml">here</A>.<center></center>

church2001 December 13 2008 03:07 AM

Re: Reunion

This episode might have created the biggest repercussions in the Star Trek universe (and its story doesn't really end until Deep Space Nine). I think its especially ironic that Worf later killed Gowron, thus serving as the instrument that began and ended his reign.

On another note, I especially liked how K'mpec's assassination was never clearly resolved. Thus Gowron could have potentially killed him though I will always go with Duras.

Yassim December 13 2008 04:08 AM

Quote:

church2001 wrote: (Post 2398849)
On another note, I especially liked how K'mpec's assassination was never clearly resolved. Thus Gowron could have potentially killed him though I will always go with Duras.

It never occured to me that Duras wasn't the killer. Duras kills K'eylahr when she accuses him of siding with the Romulans. That doesn't sound innocent to me... but maybe he just got mad...?

ncc74302 December 13 2008 08:03 AM

Quote:

...my thought was that he talks like the current governor of Illinois on the surveillance tapes that got him arrested.
Favorite quote in the whole review. I about fell out of my chair laughing at this.

Shikarnov December 15 2008 05:35 PM

Quote:

But I really dislike the way the most interesting Klingon woman we've ever seen is dispatched quickly and horribly off-camera, leaving the double implication that she underestimated her opponent and couldn't defend herself.
Given that we've seen women kick a** and take names on Star Trek prior to this, wouldn't it be more fair to say that we're left with the [rather logical] implication that a politician/diplomat couldn't defend herself against a trained warrior?

As for underestimating her opponent -- I think you're reading too much politics into the scene. If it was Picard getting in the face of a Klingon warrior, you'd call it a master's diplomacy -- even if he'd be killed should the opponent not react as expected. K'Ehleyr does the same, and she's an idiot.

kEROTH December 15 2008 08:06 PM

Speaking as an Illinoisian, I assumed ALL politicians, from Chicago, Illinois or Q'onos speak (and act) like this. I'd add a smiley face, but I'm completely serious.

Saxman1 December 16 2008 02:43 PM

Quote:

kEROTH wrote: (Post 2407253)
Speaking as an Illinoisian, I assumed ALL politicians, from Chicago, Illinois or Q'onos speak (and act) like this. I'd add a smiley face, but I'm completely serious.

I am also from Illinois and agree 100%. Now we have the Speaker of House drooling to get impeachment proceedings going so his daughter, who eventually wants to be governor (the Attorney General) is highly visible during all of this. The Lt. Governor (hasn't talked to Blago in a year per him....what's he been doing?) would love to become Governor so he can appoint the daughter to the Obama Senate vacancy and get her out of the way.

Don't get me started on Dictator For Life Mayor Daley II of Chicago. I say this all as a liberal Democrat! :lol:

BTW, never voted for Blago: Free Law the first time and Green last time. :cool:

Back to TNG, good ep, hated killing off Keylar (played by the impossibly hot Suzie Plakson!). Wish she'd have become a regular or at least recurring character...:(