The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TrekToday News Items (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Legacy (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=76005)

TrekToday December 5 2008 11:07 PM

Legacy

<b>Plot Summary:</b> Riker is called away from a poker game with Data when the Enterprise receives a distress call from a freighter at Turkana IV, the birthplace Tasha Yar. By the time the ship arrives, two crewmembers from the freighter have crashed on the planet and are being held by the Alliance, one of two factions on the planet. Picard seeks help from Hayne, the leader of the rival Coalition. When Hayne discovers that the Enterprise crew knew Tasha, he asks his fellow Coalition member Ishara Yar - Tasha's sister - to help the Enterprise recover the missing freighter crew.Ishara offers to lead an away team to where the Alliance keeps its hostages and explains that Alliance members can always tell when a Coalition member is approaching because of a subcutaneous detector that sets off alarms when they enter rival territory. She volunteers to act as a diversion so the Enterprise can recover the missing crewmembers, but she is badly wounded before the mission can be completed. Data, who grows close to Ishara by sharing memories of Tasha, suggests that Crusher remove her implant so that Ishara can lead them directly to the missing men, and though Picard has concerns about Ishara's seeming contempt for Tasha, he agrees to the plan. Ishara leads the Enterprise crew to the hostages from the freighter but then sneaks off to overload the Alliance's defensive network. When Data discovers what she has done, she admits that her assistance was offered only so she could bring down the Alliance, since the Coalition is waiting for her signal to send in an attack force. Riker distracts Ishara so that Data can knock her out, then restore the Alliance defensive network and the balance of power on Turkana IV. Hayne demands that Ishara be returned, and Picard reluctantly agrees, while Riker tries to help Data accept that Ishara abused their trust.<p><p><HR ALIGN="CENTER" SIZE="1" WIDTH="45\%" COLOR="#007BB5"><p>To read the full reviews, please click <A HREF="http://www.treknation.com/reviews/tng/legacy.shtml">here</A>.<center></center>

Kail December 6 2008 12:52 AM

Re: Legacy

What, no mention of that hot little outfit they stick Ishara in as soon as she gets onboard? I'm disappointed.

Admiral James Kirk December 6 2008 04:50 AM

Ishara Yar = Cameltoe

Unwrapped December 6 2008 04:54 AM

I agree with MEG about the telegraphing in the plot. Ishara could have been handled a little better.

startrekwatcher December 6 2008 05:29 AM

I really enjoyed this episode. For once, I actually agree with almost all of MEG's points about the episode. The politics of Turkana and the rescue were pretty pedestrian. What really made the episode work were the various character moments and reactions to Ishara--my two favorites being the scene in sickbay where Ishara is criticizing Tasha and Picard sets her straight about the woman her sister became and the scene between Data and Ishara at the end--one of the more stinging and depressing endings in the series.

WillsBabe December 6 2008 09:41 AM

I quite like this episode. It's a long time since I've seen it, but I seem to remember that Riker has a couple of moments of worry that Tasha died under his command and he doesn't want Ishara to go the same way. TNG irritated me however, in its insistence that none of the crew could have a regular family member turn up without them having some critical flaw.

Pioneer December 7 2008 08:19 AM

Quote:

Kail wrote: (Post 2373838)
What, no mention of that hot little outfit they stick Ishara in as soon as she gets onboard? I'm disappointed.

MEG would never mention the totally hot, skin-tight, royal blue body suit worn by Ishara. She's waaaayyy too "feminist" and Politically Correct to do that. (Not that that's a bad thing, mind you.) You're just not going to get such comments from Michelle. Check her past reviews. The more recent TNG reviews have been a bit less strident, thankfully.

Personally, I liked the camel toe. 'Cause I'm a red-blooded American Male Chauvinist Pig and proud of it. :devil:

Kail December 7 2008 05:06 PM

Quote:

Pioneer wrote: (Post 2377839)
Quote:

Kail wrote: (Post 2373838)

MEG would never mention the totally hot, skin-tight, royal blue body suit worn by Ishara. She's waaaayyy too "feminist" and Politically Correct to do that. (Not that that's a bad thing, mind you.) You're just not going to get such comments from Michelle. Check her past reviews. The more recent TNG reviews have been a bit less strident, thankfully.

Actually, that's my whole point. She usually points out any sexist or politically incorrect moments. I was sure she would have been offended by the outfit she was put in once she hit the ship.