The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Battlestar Galactica & Caprica (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Galactica VS Pegasus which would win (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=75202)

Hartzilla2007 November 27 2008 07:04 PM

Galactica VS Pegasus which would win

Okay if Galactica had fought the Pegasus in Resurrection Ship part one which Battlestar do you think would have won

WeAreTheBorg November 27 2008 07:09 PM

Re: Galactica VS Pegasus which would win

Well, in a practical sense Pegasus was clearly the better ship and would wipe the floor with Galactica. But I mean if that was actually in the show the writers wouldn't be destroying Galactica and would find a plot device to allow them to win. But since this is a hypothetical outside the reality of the show: Pegasus. Obviously.

Captain_Amasov November 27 2008 07:22 PM

Pegasus, though she'd still take a beating obviously.

MyCylon November 27 2008 08:00 PM

Pegasus. Galactica is a mighty fine ship. But Pegasus just kicks ass, if you'll pardon my expression. If you look at how it takes out those baseships in Exodus, there's no question in my mind she would easily take down the older vessel.

DRMidnite November 27 2008 08:06 PM

I'd say you'd have to take into account the respective commanders of these ships. The experience factor would weigh in heavily. That said...Galactica by a nose.

solariabsg25 November 27 2008 09:18 PM

Pegasus unfortunately, she seems to be designed to be able to pour a huge amount of fire from her forward batteries, and almost had them lined up on Galactica before the Vipers ad even reached eachother. And we've seen those batteries take out a Basestar, from long range, in one concentrated salvo.

Plus their Vipers outnumbered the Galacticas, and were all experienced pilots, along with them all being Mk VIIs.

V November 27 2008 10:23 PM

the entire "nickname" thing they tried to introduce in Captain's Hand is simply forced and silly; they said they made up that Galactica is "the Bucket" and Pegasus "the Beast", literally because they thought it was embarrasing that everyone online and on-set had nicknamed it "Peggy" and they were trying to shift away from that

I agree pretty much with Roslin's assessment: Galactica would be destroyed, but Pegasus would be badly crippled, to the point of being unable to fight off future Cylon attacks.

philbob November 27 2008 10:34 PM

Quote:

V wrote: (Post 2343922)
the entire "nickname" thing they tried to introduce in Captain's Hand is simply forced and silly; they said they made up that Galactica is "the Bucket" and Pegasus "the Beast", literally because they thought it was embarrasing that everyone online and on-set had nicknamed it "Peggy" and they were trying to shift away from that

I agree pretty much with Roslin's assessment: Galactica would be destroyed, but Pegasus would be badly crippled, to the point of being unable to fight off future Cylon attacks.

Agreed on that beast and bucket crap every time i heard that it made me cringe

MyCylon November 27 2008 10:52 PM

Hmm, I never minded "Bucket and the Beast". I actually thought it was one of those nice touches that give you some insight into everyday life among the crews aboard the ships. They'd definitely be coming up with nicknames, I think.

David cgc November 27 2008 11:36 PM

It was okay (though I still didn't love it) when they used it organically in the "Beyond the Red Line" demo. In "The Captain's Hand," though, I was right there with the behind-the-scenes guy who vetoed it, at least in part because of how stilted and artificial it was.

DanCPA November 28 2008 04:16 AM

Pegasus
Galactica was an old ship that was headed to a decommissioning ceremony

Kaijufan November 28 2008 04:44 AM

I agree with pretty much everyone, the Galactica would be destroyed but it could do a good amount of damage to the Pegasus before being destroyed.

solariabsg25 November 29 2008 03:20 AM

Actually I did have one thought - what would the civvies do if Galactica and Pegasus started trading blows? Just sit there helpless? Jump randomly to escape? Would those few with actual weapons join in?

Whoever had won, I think humanity would have been finished.

Peacemaker November 29 2008 03:31 AM

Pegasus. Her commander was also the more ruthless of the two, as were her pilots. The key here is likely who gets in the first shot. If you follow the dialogue, Cain was trying to get her main guns trained on Galatica. If you look at the way the ships were positioning, Galactica was trying to remain on a parallel course to keep Cain's main guns off of her. That would put Galatica in the primary position, since her main guns seem to run along her spine. So, whoever gets in the first good shot would be the one who wins. Therefore, the big question is: Who'd shoot first in this game of chicken?

MyCylon November 29 2008 01:11 PM

Quote:

solariabsg25 wrote: (Post 2347064)
Actually I did have one thought - what would the civvies do if Galactica and Pegasus started trading blows? Just sit there helpless? Jump randomly to escape? Would those few with actual weapons join in?

I think most would realize that anything they could do with whatever weapons they may have would be utterly futile and wouldn't make a difference to the outcome at all. Some might decide to be 'heroes' and join in anyway.

Lee made it very clear at the beginning of S2 that the civilian ships wouldn't stand a chance against Galactica as in they probably wouldn't even scratch the hull.