The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Trek Gaming (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Star Trek: Online (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=74232)

tranya November 19 2008 08:01 AM

Star Trek: Online

Any discussions of this upcoming game anywhere? I haven't seen a thread yet, and I'm a little surprised. Am I missing something?

CaptainStoner November 20 2008 02:17 AM

Re: Star Trek: Online

There have been several down below, but no action in them recently. The more I see of this game, the more I like. :)

tranya November 20 2008 04:58 PM

I'm excited, just to see how in the world each player having their own ship will translate in the game. Having a "crew" being a series of pets is a weird but interesting choice.

Darren2001 November 21 2008 03:04 AM

http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?p=2171218

CaptJimboJones December 2 2008 12:29 AM

Quote:

tranya wrote: (Post 2315777)
I'm excited, just to see how in the world each player having their own ship will translate in the game. Having a "crew" being a series of pets is a weird but interesting choice.

Given the difficulties of coordinating an actual "crew" of real players in an MMO (which was the original plan, IIRC), it seems to me that it's the best choice. I think the whole "every player is a captain" approach is the best way to go.

I'm really, really worried that this game is going to be good. Because then I might end up buying it. And then my wife would leave me because of all the time I waste on STO. :confused:

Alex1939 December 16 2008 05:41 AM

If it's comparable to City of Heroes, City of Villains (which I believe are the people designing it)... then it's going to be real damn good.

I think character creation will be one the amazing parts of the game. I think every person you encounter will look fairly unique.

jefferiestubes8 April 1 2009 03:40 PM

Star Trek: Online developer chat

Quote:

IGN Vault hosted its first voice developer chat on Voon last night with developers from Star Trek Online, Cryptic's much-awaited upcoming MMO. Executive Producer Craig Zinkievich was on hand to answer the fans’ questions, along with STO’s director for Community Management Nicole “Awen” Hamlett. We have a full transcript of the chat and you can also download and listen to the audio file, or read highlights with streaming audio.
as mentioned earlier but very irksome:
Quote:

At launch you will not be able to walk inside your spaceship but there are plans to implement that later. There will also be content that allows you to board other ships and you will be able to walk around in those.
Star Trek Online Live Developer Chat Highlights
http://vault.ign.com/View.php?view=e....detail&id=248

Star Trek Online Developer Chat Transcripts
Published: 2009-04-01
http://vault.ign.com/View.php?view=e....detail&id=249

CaptainStoner April 2 2009 02:14 AM

Re: Star Trek: Online developer chat

I really think the fans are going to morph this game out of whatever flaws it may or may not have at release. Considering what was done with BC, and Legacy - the latter was actually saved by the fans, as the game didn't even function as released (Your main ship wouldn't change when the era changed from ENT to TOS - how Bethesda could release it like that is beyond me).

-Brett- April 2 2009 04:23 AM

Quote:

CaptainStoner wrote: (Post 2785547)
I really think the fans are going to morph this game out of whatever flaws it may or may not have at release. Considering what was done with BC, and Legacy - the latter was actually saved by the fans, as the game didn't even function as released (Your main ship wouldn't change when the era changed from ENT to TOS - how Bethesda could release it like that is beyond me).

In a game of this genre, mods probably won't be possible. The developers have to get this one right.

CaptainStoner April 4 2009 04:05 AM

Quote:

-Brett- wrote: (Post 2786127)

In a game of this genre, mods probably won't be possible. The developers have to get this one right.

Well, I agree with you that the developers have to have a solid product with STO from the release date. It has to stand on its own, and stand well. But, user-created content will be very important to the longer term survival of STO. A developer can only put out so much campaign material.

USS Renegade April 5 2009 10:27 AM

Yeah, I keep feeling the lure of this game. Anyone know anyone in the Beta?

Haggis and tatties April 5 2009 11:07 AM

Quote:

CaptainStoner wrote: (Post 2793763)
Quote:

Well, I agree with you that the developers have to have a solid product with STO from the release date. It has to stand on its own, and stand well. But, user-created content will be very important to the longer term survival of STO. A developer can only put out so much campaign material.

I thought STO was a MMO monthly subscription game, i am sure those type of games don't allow users created content, only the game devs can add to these type of games.

Silent_Bob April 6 2009 03:26 PM

Quote:

Haggis and Tatties wrote: (Post 2797041)
Quote:

CaptainStoner wrote: (Post 2793763)
Quote:

I thought STO was a MMO monthly subscription game, i am sure those type of games don't allow users created content, only the game devs can add to these type of games.

Agreed, STO wont feature user-created content beyond the usual guild stuff.
Although once the ability to walk around your own/other peoples ships gets added, i can see this game being used by simming communities, if only to create custom crew pictures etc.

brianbeercan April 6 2009 08:09 PM

One of the cool things about the Star Trek universe is that it has Holodecks - the devs have been pretty silent about how they'll be used in game, but I could see player made mods being available in there! Well, I can dream anyway. :rommie:

The April 7 2009 02:38 PM

Quote:

Players are forced to choose a faction – Starfleet or Klingon – and cannot be privateers.
Lame.