The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   I still don't get it. (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=73873)

darkshadow0001 November 16 2008 05:00 PM

I still don't get it.
 
I actually watched some episodes of Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman, and noticed the flying sequences even in this series surpassed that of Superman Returns. If Singer had a budget for a good Superman movie, then why did a lot of the flying sequences in the film just suck? :(

Brikar99 November 16 2008 05:20 PM

Re: I still don't get it.
 
You.... You're kidding, right?

FalTorPan November 16 2008 05:20 PM

Re: I still don't get it.
 
The flying sequences in Superman Returns were vastly superior to those in Lois and Clark. Superman was lit as if he were actually in the sky, rather than lit as if he were actually in a bluescreen stage.

DerbyDave November 16 2008 06:49 PM

Re: I still don't get it.
 
If you really believe that, also keep in mind that the LOIS AND CLARK effects only had to stand up to scrutiny on the smaller TV screen, in the days before wide-screen TVs and HDTV, and the SUPERMAN RETURNS effects had to hold up on the motion picture screen.

Bit difference in the amount of detail, and therefore budget.

darkshadow0001 November 16 2008 07:26 PM

Re: I still don't get it.
 
Quote:

Brikar99 wrote: (Post 2298689)
You.... You're kidding, right?

I'm serious. When I went to see Superman Returns, I expected awesome flying sequences and such and all I got was a lot of CGI, and hardly any closeups.

I watched the pilot episode of Lois & Clark and the flying scenes were just... better...

theenglish November 16 2008 08:16 PM

Re: I still don't get it.
 
I thought this was a flame post when I originally read it. This is like my father saying that the originally Buck Rogers effects were better than Farscapes because at least the ship's were made of real models.

Dream November 16 2008 08:54 PM

Re: I still don't get it.
 
The flying effects in Superman Returns weren't that great. They should have shown Superman flying closer to the ground much more so we could get idea of how fast he was moving. Iron Man's flying effects were much better IMO.

SalvorHardin November 16 2008 11:53 PM

Re: I still don't get it.
 
Quote:

darkshadow0001 wrote: (Post 2298640)
I actually watched some episodes of Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman, and noticed the flying sequences even in this series surpassed that of Superman Returns.

Just when you think you've heard it all...:wtf:

RandyS November 17 2008 12:57 AM

Re: I still don't get it.
 
Quote:

darkshadow0001 wrote: (Post 2298973)
I watched the pilot episode of Lois & Clark and the flying scenes were just... better...

True. But it wasn't just the flying scenes. Everything about Lois & Clark was just.....better.

darkshadow0001 November 17 2008 01:29 AM

Re: I still don't get it.
 
Quote:

SalvorHardin wrote: (Post 2299767)
Quote:

darkshadow0001 wrote: (Post 2298640)
I actually watched some episodes of Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman, and noticed the flying sequences even in this series surpassed that of Superman Returns.

Just when you think you've heard it all...:wtf:

I knocked this show too, but out of boredom I rented a copy of season one and found out it wasn't all that bad. Not as good as Smallville or the movies, but it was still entertaining.

What I meant about the flying was the show had more close-ups of Cain flying like the Christopher Reeve films. If that was possible to do in those days, why did the flying sequences in SR look cheesy?

Professor Zoom November 17 2008 02:17 AM

Re: I still don't get it.
 
Quote:

darkshadow0001 wrote: (Post 2300106)
I knocked this show too, but out of boredom I rented a copy of season one and found out it wasn't all that bad. Not as good as Smallville or the movies, but it was still entertaining.


:wtf:


I think I threw up a little. Smallville. Blech.

Brikar99 November 17 2008 06:08 AM

Re: I still don't get it.
 
Quote:

darkshadow0001 wrote: (Post 2298973)
Quote:

Brikar99 wrote: (Post 2298689)
You.... You're kidding, right?

I'm serious. When I went to see Superman Returns, I expected awesome flying sequences and such and all I got was a lot of CGI, and hardly any closeups.

I watched the pilot episode of Lois & Clark and the flying scenes were just... better...

...wow... Better must mean something totally different than what I've thought it meant my entire life.

theenglish November 17 2008 05:10 PM

Re: I still don't get it.
 
To be fair, Lois and Clark was a well done series for what it was. It was never ever meant to take itself seriously, and therefore should not be held up to the same standards as other shows. Smallville on the other hand simply takes itself too seriously and loses its charm because of that.

TheArsenal November 17 2008 10:52 PM

Re: I still don't get it.
 
Say what you will about SR's flaws, if Superman: the Movie made me believe a man could fly, Returns made me believe a man could fly faster than a speeding bullet.

darkshadow0001 November 18 2008 03:24 AM

Re: I still don't get it.
 
Quote:

TheArsenal wrote: (Post 2303753)
Say what you will about SR's flaws, if Superman: the Movie made me believe a man could fly, Returns made me believe a man could fly faster than a speeding bullet.

I'm not saying Superman Returns was a bad movie. In fact, I saw it twice. I'm just saying I don't understand if our technology for effects is supposed to be better today then 10-20 years ago then how come the flying seems more "real" then the Chris Reeve films and Lois & Clark. That's really all I was disappointed with SR. I can still watch the Chris Reeve films and say "wow" to the flying, but with SR, it's just "meh".


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.