The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TrekToday News Items (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Trek-like Hologram Makes TV Appearance (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=72878)

TrekToday November 6 2008 07:39 AM

Trek-like Hologram Makes TV Appearance

It's no longer necessary to be interviewed in a certain location, instead one can be "beamed in" via hologram from distant places.<p>As reported by <A class="link" HREF="http://www.dailypress.com">Dailypress.com</A>, Capitol Hill correspondent <font color=yellow>Jessica Yellin</font>, in Chicago for the <font color=yellow>Barack Obama</font> rally, was able to speak to CNN's <font color=yellow>Wolf Blitzer</font> as if she were in the CNN studio via a holographic projection.<p>Yellin was filmed in a specially constructed tent, so that there was no interference from other people around her. She explained the technology behind the hologram to Blizter, saying that it involved thirty-five HD cameras.<p>Another person joined CNN during coverage of the election returns. Performer and Obama supporter <font color=yellow>Will.I.Am</font> appeared via hologram beamed to the CNN studio to speak with <font color=yellow>Anderson Cooper</font>. ""Let's see if we can beam him in now," said Cooper, as the image of the performer appeared. Cooper went on to say that "It looks exactly like in 'Star Trek' when they would beam people down. That's what it looks like right here."<p><object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/deoOTqT-SMI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/deoOTqT-SMI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object><p>To read more, head to the article located <A class="link" HREF="http://www.dailypress.com/news/chi-cnn-hologram-081104-story,0,3983935.story">here</A>.<center></center>

SJSharksfan39 November 6 2008 09:37 AM

Re: Trek-like Hologram Makes TV Appearance

It looked more like Star Wars than Star Trek. Trek never had any of the blue outline, did it?

Dale November 6 2008 10:53 AM

I think CNN's ugly little secret is that the "hologram" is virtual and the anchor does not see it. It's a composite image that can be viewed from multiple angles because the camera movements in the studio are telemetry-linked to the computer receiving the shots from the 35 HD cams and generating the image, which is composited into what we see on TV. No 3D image is projected onto the red dot on the CNN studio floor. Blitzer and Cooper were acting (which is in and of itself troubling). Calling it a "hologram" is just a bit of marketing sophistry.

Admiral Bear November 6 2008 12:40 PM

Quote:

Dale wrote: (Post 2261763)
I think CNN's ugly little secret is that the "hologram" is virtual and the anchor does not see it. It's a composite image that can be viewed from multiple angles because the camera movements in the studio are telemetry-linked to the computer receiving the shots from the 35 HD cams and generating the image, which is composited into what we see on TV. No 3D image is projected onto the red dot on the CNN studio floor. Blitzer and Cooper were acting (which is in and of itself troubling). Calling it a "hologram" is just a bit of marketing sophistry.

Agreed, but it did look good.

Dale November 6 2008 12:59 PM

Not saying it wasn't clever... just saying it wasn't a hologram.

jongredic November 6 2008 02:02 PM

Yeah, I'm not convinced it's a true hologram either... there's a couple of moments in the first couple of minutes the camera jiggles, but the hologram doesn't move in relation to the background. Also... how exactly is he being 'projected'?

On the other hand, it's a pretty snazzy gimmick, and I'd like to see more of it. Just not on the news. Remember when news used to be about the facts, and not who had the best graphics and LOUDEST REPORTERS?! :p

I honestly thought Cooper was the hologram at first... Does anyone else think he's got a Max Headroom quality to him? ;)

Lindley November 6 2008 02:30 PM

Quote:

jongredic wrote: (Post 2262008)
Yeah, I'm not convinced it's a true hologram either... there's a couple of moments in the first couple of minutes the camera jiggles, but the hologram doesn't move in relation to the background.

That's just image stabilization. Combine it with a good initial approximation of the camera's true location, and you can generate a novel view without much trouble if you're got the source material.

Blip November 6 2008 04:18 PM

Quote:

Admiral Bear wrote: (Post 2261913)
Quote:

Also agreed, but: It did not look good. :shifty:

Agent Richard07 November 6 2008 05:18 PM

Here's another clip where the Capitol Building along with some election stats are being "projected" onto a table. When I saw them live, I thought they were somewhat cool, but I also found them really distracting because I was trying to figure out how they did it and I couldn't pay attention to the actual coverage. And yeah, it is a bit odd to have news anchors acting in a news piece. If they do keep using this gimmick though, I think we'll get used to it.

22 Stars November 6 2008 07:04 PM

The tech was fine but CNN, a news organization calling it a hologram isn't right. If they report science as innacurately I worry for the future of our society.

Admiral Bear November 6 2008 07:10 PM

Quote:

Blip wrote: (Post 2262250)
Quote:

Admiral Bear wrote: (Post 2261913)
Quote:

Also agreed, but: It did not look good. :shifty:

I'm sure I've got Miles O'Brien's phone number somewhere. Maybe if you ask nicely enough, he'll rig you up a Defiant-esque holographic comm system that will look good. :lol:

M'Sharak November 6 2008 08:59 PM

Quote:

jongredic wrote: (Post 2262008)

I honestly thought Cooper was the hologram at first... Does anyone else think he's got a Max Headroom quality to him? ;)

I think he's had that all along, to some extent. I used to watch him years ago on ABC's World News Tonight (if I couldn't get back to sleep at 3 in the morning) and he had it then, too.

Basil November 6 2008 11:09 PM

Quote:

tomalak301 wrote: (Post 2261676)
It looked more like Star Wars than Star Trek. Trek never had any of the blue outline, did it?

Yeah, much more like Star Wars. But holographic projections like these are a wave of the future -- I doubt 25 years from now we'll be looking at flat screens anymore.

rmkwebdesign November 7 2008 12:22 AM

Quote:

tomalak301 wrote: (Post 2261676)

A different article I read on CNN.com today said that the Blue Outline was actually unneccessary, and that they INSERTED the blue outline so that people would really believe it was digital (implying that without the blue outline, the projected image would be nearly impossible to determine).

Lindley November 7 2008 03:23 AM

It's fairly easy to do these kinds of effects on TV. When I see one of these in person I'll be impressed.