The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies XI+ (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   The Kelvin's uniforms (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=72179)

NCC-1967 October 30 2008 10:33 PM

The Kelvin's uniforms
 
As we all know by now, the USS Kelvin is "from a generation before the Enterprise".
So that means that the uniforms worn by Capt. Robau & Co. will be very (or slightly) different from the ones Quinto, Pine and the others are wearing in this recent batch of photos.
Any thoughts on how they'll look like?
"The Cage" inspired, maybe?

The Wormhole October 30 2008 10:39 PM

Re: The Kelvin's uniforms
 
If Abrams and his cohorts knew what they were doing, than yes, they would be Cage inspired. But Abrams and his cohorts don't know what they are doing. The Kelvin with its one nacelle and registry starting with zero are proof of that.

Yes, I am going to keep driving this issue into the ground.

JuanBolio October 30 2008 10:41 PM

Re: The Kelvin's uniforms
 
I hope they'll be similar to those from The Cage. Actually, I would've liked to see design in general (of the Enterprise bridge and the uniforms we've seen) be more like those from The Cage, but I guess they were shooting for familiarity with the main run of TOS.

Quote:

The Wormhole wrote: (Post 2237897)
...Abrams and his cohorts don't know what they are doing. The Kelvin with its one nacelle and registry starting with zero are proof of that.

There's nothing inherently wrong with either one... and we don't even know for a fact yet that the Kelvin has one nacelle.

Devon October 30 2008 10:46 PM

Re: The Kelvin's uniforms
 
Maybe they'll look recognizable as Starfleet uniforms, but not sure about Cage inspired. We know that Starfleet Uniforms can change DRASTICALLY in what would be considered a 30 year time span. I'm going to say maybe 30 years is a good time to give from this attack up until when James Kirk takes command of the Enterprise.

cbp44189 October 30 2008 10:48 PM

Re: The Kelvin's uniforms
 
The only reason Roddenberry started the whole even number nacelle thing was because he didn't approve of Franz Joseph's Starfleet Technical Manual. So what.

JuanBolio October 30 2008 10:52 PM

Re: The Kelvin's uniforms
 
Quote:

cbp44189 wrote: (Post 2237937)
The only reason Roddenberry started the whole even number nacelle thing was because he didn't approve of Franz Joseph's Starfleet Technical Manual. So what.

Indeed. Plus we've seen all kinds of alien ships with no nacelles at all.

SonicRanger October 30 2008 11:11 PM

Re: The Kelvin's uniforms
 
Quote:

The Wormhole wrote: (Post 2237897)
The Kelvin with its .... registry starting with zero are proof of that.

I think that 0514, rather than 514, is more immediately recognizable as a lower number than 1701. There no doubt is a reason that the registry starts with zero, and it is clear you don't like that, but that doesn't mean Abrams and company don't know what they're doing or haven't thought things through.

M'Sharak October 30 2008 11:14 PM

Re: The Kelvin's uniforms
 
Given that the events involving the Kelvin may take place a decade or more prior to the events seen in "The Cage", and given the real-world tendency for uniform styles to undergo drastic change, often in non-linear fashion, over relatively short periods (let alone such changes seen in the Star Trek universe, such as the one from TMP to TWoK) the uniforms we see worn by Robau's crew could just as logically be completely different from the uniforms worn by Pike's crew as they could be closely similar.

I'm not seeing this as a huge deal, one way or the other, so long as they're not glaringly out of place like something belonging to a Star Wars or BSG universe.

Sector 7 October 30 2008 11:17 PM

Re: The Kelvin's uniforms
 
Yeah, but maybe a kool cape like Darth Vader...:guffaw::guffaw:

M'Sharak October 30 2008 11:36 PM

Re: The Kelvin's uniforms
 
Maybe Nero might be able to pull that off, but the only Starfleet guy we ever saw wearing anything approaching a cape was Garth, (more of a robe, in his case, though) and they put him in the loony bin for it.

"We're Starfleet; we don't do capes!"

Sector 7 October 30 2008 11:41 PM

Re: The Kelvin's uniforms
 
Quote:

M'Sharak wrote: (Post 2238105)
Maybe Nero might be able to pull that off, but the only Starfleet guy we ever saw wearing anything approaching a cape was Garth, (more of a robe, in his case, though) and they put him in the loony bin for it.

"We're Starfleet; we don't do capes!"

Spoilsport... LOL :rommie: I thought Spock looked awesome in TMP when he showed up in the black cape. That's what made me think of it.

Nerys Myk October 30 2008 11:41 PM

Re: The Kelvin's uniforms
 
Since no one in STXI is sporting WNMHGB uniforms, I doubt we're gonna see anything like "The Cage" style uniforms.

JoeZhang October 30 2008 11:41 PM

Re: The Kelvin's uniforms
 
Quote:

cbp44189 wrote: (Post 2237937)
The only reason Roddenberry started the whole even number nacelle thing was because he didn't approve of Franz Joseph's Starfleet Technical Manual. So what.

Indeed, there is a lot of short-term memory lose when it comes to what GR would or would not have approved of.


The idea that having a registry starting with zero means the writer and director don't know what they are doing is so laughable, it's not either worth discussing....

The Keeper October 30 2008 11:42 PM

Re: The Kelvin's uniforms
 
That's "LORD Garth!"

JuanBolio October 30 2008 11:43 PM

Re: The Kelvin's uniforms
 
Quote:

M'Sharak wrote: (Post 2238045)
Given that the events involving the Kelvin may take place a decade or more prior to the events seen in "The Cage", and given the real-world tendency for uniform styles to undergo drastic change, often in non-linear fashion, over relatively short periods (let alone such changes seen in the Star Trek universe, such as the one from TMP to TWoK) the uniforms we see worn by Robau's crew could just as logically be completely different from the uniforms worn by Pike's crew as they could be closely similar.

I'm not seeing this as a huge deal, one way or the other, so long as they're not glaringly out of place like something belonging to a Star Wars or BSG universe.

A decade or more before The Cage? The Cage was more than a decade before TOS, and Kirk was 34 (+/-) in TOS. Doesn't really add up.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.