The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   General Trek Discussion (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Section 31... (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=71079)

2 of 10 October 21 2008 05:57 AM

Section 31...

In the episode of DS-9 "Inquisition" Slone mentions to Bashir that Section 31 has been part of the Federation since it's original charter. Does anyone recall any mention of Section 31 in any other Trek Series or Films.

It does make sence that the Federation would have it's own Internal Intelligence Branch. The Romulans have the Tal-Shair, and the Cardassians have the Obsidian Order. It would seem to me that it would be a bit nieve for the Federation to not have internal security of it own.

Nerys Ghemor October 21 2008 06:11 AM

Re: Section 31...

I believe that there was never any mention of Section 31 prior to DS9. Any suggestions that they were there would be speculative at best. (Except VOY/ENT.)

Sheliak October 21 2008 07:44 AM

"Is there a John-Luck Pickard here?" Tapestry

:)

dave_R_treker October 21 2008 03:18 PM

Quote:

2 of 10 wrote: (Post 2200837)
In the episode of DS-9 "Inquisition" Slone mentions to Bashir that Section 31 has been part of the Federation since it's original charter. Does anyone recall any mention of Section 31 in any other Trek Series or Films.

It does make sence that the Federation would have it's own Internal Intelligence Branch. The Romulans have the Tal-Shair, and the Cardassians have the Obsidian Order. It would seem to me that it would be a bit nieve for the Federation to not have internal security of it own.

Nothing to my knowlage was mentioned prior to this episode. There are books that take place prior to this episode. And also the few episodes of Enterprise that had section 31 in it. But like I said, nothing prior to the actual airing of the episode.

Sector 7 October 21 2008 04:05 PM

No mention of it.... because...

USS Excelsior October 21 2008 04:29 PM

The episode "Divergence" in ENT features Section 31 with an agent named Harris that secretly gives Malcolm orders and ultimately lands him in the brig. Harris would also appear in "Demons".

T'Cal October 21 2008 04:47 PM

Quote:

Nerys Dukat wrote: (Post 2200881)
I believe that there was never any mention of Section 31 prior to DS9. Any suggestions that they were there would be speculative at best. (Except VOY/ENT.)

Then let's speculate! I would guess that Adm. Pressman was working with if not a part of S31. While there was no indication that Shelby was, had she stuck around, I can easily imagine her as an operative of S31. Also, rather than kill off Yar, she would've made a fine member as well. Paris might've made a good one, too, reluctant like Bashir and Reed but capable.

The Wormhole October 21 2008 10:03 PM

The novels have had a field day with Section 31. Off the top of my head, they have said that the events of Insurrection and the TOS episode The Enterprise Incident were Section 31 operations.

Of course, novels are not canon.

All Seeing Eye October 21 2008 10:27 PM

What I always couldn't quite fathom was whether or not Admiral Ross was a Section 31 operative or whether he was just reluctantly sucked into that particular situation. (I'm talking about the episode where they go to Romulus.)

The Wormhole October 21 2008 10:40 PM

I was under the impression that he relunctantly allowed himself to be duped into becoming their shit-pawn.

LutherSloan October 21 2008 11:05 PM

The only canon mentions of S31 occur on Enterprise and DS9.

Ethros October 21 2008 11:19 PM

Been a while since I watched the relevant eps of ENT. Is the group actually referred to as "Section 31" in those eps?

USS Excelsior October 22 2008 12:33 AM

Quote:

Ethros wrote: (Post 2204012)
Been a while since I watched the relevant eps of ENT. Is the group actually referred to as "Section 31" in those eps?

One time it was referenced as "Article 14, Section 31" to explain and justify their existence in what they were getting involved with and how.

Rķu rķu, chķu October 22 2008 02:31 AM

Quote:

The Wormhole wrote: (Post 2203655)
The novels have had a field day with Section 31. Off the top of my head, they have said that the events of Insurrection and the TOS episode The Enterprise Incident were Section 31 operations.

So was that whole thing in ST 6.

And Admiral Pressman was obviously Section 31 as well. It's not in a novel that I'm aware of, but...he just *acts* like Section 31.

Quote:

2 of 10 wrote: (Post 2200837)

They do, although I believe it's a part of Starfleet. The difference is, Starfleet Intelligence is an entirely legal, above-board, open organization, with government oversight. They must answer to the Starfleet chain of command, and to the Federation at large.

Section 31, on the other hand, answers TO NO ONE. Not even the Federation President! They are totally secret, totally amoral. Organizations like that have no business existing.

Sector 7 October 22 2008 03:58 AM

...but they do... even in the US. CIA, NSA.. and even more ominous groups DO exist.