The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TrekToday News Items (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Smith And Grunberg On 'Star Trek XI' (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=71028)

TrekToday October 20 2008 09:06 PM

Smith And Grunberg On 'Star Trek XI'
 
Those who have seen or may be in <i>Star Trek XI</i>, including <font color=yellow>Kevin Smith</font> and <font color=yellow>Greg Grunberg</font> (<i>Heroes</i>) are excited about the film and pleased with the portrayals by the actors.<p>As reported by <A class="link" HREF="http://www.collider.com">collider.com</A>, when Smith, (<i>Zack and Miri Make a Porno</i>) was offered a chance to see a rough version of <i>Star Trek XI</i>, he leapt at the chance. "I remember, we were at San Diego Comic-Con and that's where I met Zack Snyder for the first time," said Smith. "He invited me. He was like, you gotta come over and watch the movie. And I was like, Oh, I gotta! You can't keep me out of that screening room. He was like, It ain't finished. I was like, Dude, I don't care. The fanboy in me needs me to see it. I've been around the block long enough to fill in the blanks in terms of what's missing. Or this is a wire-frame FX shot that's going to be a very smoothed out, flesh FX shot when it's done."<p>Smith had praise for the actors, especially <font color=yellow>Chris Pine</font> (Kirk) and <font color=yellow>Simon Pegg</font> (Scotty). "Chris Pine, who plays Captain Kirk in the movie, does not do a William Shatner impression, but, at the same time, he's unmistakably Captain Kirk. He just brings all the brio, the gusto, everything about Kirk except Shatner's deliver to bear on the character. It doesn't disavow anything that's gone before. It lives side by side with everything that's gone before in Star Trek lore, in the movies, and the TV show. He did a great, great job." As for Pegg, "Simon Pegg was good. I don't want to spoil too much because they made me sign an NDA as well. But he's not right front and center right away. He comes into the movie later...Scotty's the last one they bring in. But hes pitch perfect."<p>Meanwhile, <i>Heroes'</i> Greg Grunberg (Matt Parkman), who may or may not be in the movie, had this to say about <i>Star Trek XI</i> in an interview with <A class="link" HREF="http://www.iesb.net">IESB.net</A>. ""I can't talk about it. You're going to have to see the movie to find out." He also wouldn't answer the question as to whether he had played the role of a redshirt or whether he had seen the movie, but said, "I can't even talk about it. I'm very excited. The movie is going to be unbelievable."<p>And ten shots of an "icy" <i>Star Trek XI</i> set have appeared on <A class="link" HREF="http://www.onlocationnews.com">On Location News</A>. Several feature Chris Pine in the "snow,", and one has a cutout of what appears to be a creature from the ice world. The photos can be seen <A class="link" HREF="http://www.onlocationnews.com/Production/PhotoGroupView.aspx?pbid=4&msa=1&pgid=14343350">he re</A>.<p>To read more, head to the article and video located <A class="link" HREF="http://www.collider.com/entertainment/interviews/article.asp/aid/9549/tcid/1">here</A> and <A class="link" HREF="http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_ezine&task=read&page=1&catego ry=2&article=5619">here</A>.<center></center>

ancient October 20 2008 09:34 PM

Re: Smith And Grunberg On 'Star Trek XI'
 
So I'm guessing we won't see Pine (Scotty) until we get to the Enterprise. Good, that means they aren't doing the contrived 'they all knew eachother since the academy' thing.

Quote:

"I remember, we were at San Diego Comic-Con and that's where I met Zack Snyder for the first time," said Smith. "He invited me. He was like, you gotta come over and watch the movie. And I was like, Oh, I gotta! You can't keep me out of that screening room. He was like, It ain't finished. I was like, Dude, I don't care. The fanboy in me needs me to see it. ..."
Like, radical dude!

ITL October 20 2008 09:42 PM

Re: Smith And Grunberg On 'Star Trek XI'
 
Zack Snyder? Either Snyder got to see STXI and asked Smith along or Smith is talking about Watchmen as well as STXI....

Dane_Whitman October 20 2008 11:23 PM

Re: Smith And Grunberg On 'Star Trek XI'
 
Ice creature? JJ wasn't kidding when he said he wanted to bring more Star Wars into Trek! :p

Data Holmes October 20 2008 11:31 PM

Re: Smith And Grunberg On 'Star Trek XI'
 
Where's CRA?;)

M'Sharak October 20 2008 11:31 PM

Re: Smith And Grunberg On 'Star Trek XI'
 
Quote:

Dane_Whitman wrote: (Post 2199562)
Ice creature? JJ wasn't kidding when he said he wanted to bring more Star Wars into Trek! :p

Heh, Ice Creatures. :D

Quote:

TrekToday wrote: (Post 2199067)
And ten shots of an "icy" Star Trek XI set have appeared on On Location News. Several feature Chris Pine in the "snow,", and one has a cutout of what appears to be a creature from the ice world. The photos can be seen here.

This looks like the Dodger Stadium location we saw in aerial photos.

Brian October 21 2008 02:51 PM

Re: Smith And Grunberg On 'Star Trek XI'
 
Did any of you see Kevin Smith on the Tonight Show last Friday? My god, that man has gotten huge. Jay Leno even told him he was concerned about him. Then most of his chat was about how he's so fat he broke a public toilet. I felt bad for him. It must suck when your appearance is so shocking that the talk show host wants to discuss it when you're there to promote a movie.

Dr. Chandra October 21 2008 05:37 PM

Re: Smith And Grunberg On 'Star Trek XI'
 
Quote:

ancient wrote: (Post 2199194)
So I'm guessing we won't see Pine (Scotty) until we get to the Enterprise. Good, that means they aren't doing the contrived 'they all knew eachother since the academy' thing.

Pegg's playing Scotty, not Pine, but I agree with the sentiment.

Data Holmes October 21 2008 06:43 PM

Re: Smith And Grunberg On 'Star Trek XI'
 
Quote:

brains! wrote: (Post 2201707)
Did any of you see Kevin Smith on the Tonight Show last Friday? My god, that man has gotten huge. Jay Leno even told him he was concerned about him. Then most of his chat was about how he's so fat he broke a public toilet. I felt bad for him. It must suck when your appearance is so shocking that the talk show host wants to discuss it when you're there to promote a movie.

They might have had a problem talking about the movie on the show. It's been getting a lot of problems from censors...

backstept October 21 2008 06:52 PM

Re: Smith And Grunberg On 'Star Trek XI'
 
can't seem to get to the On Location News site . . . do you think we broke it?

M'Sharak October 21 2008 08:48 PM

Re: Smith And Grunberg On 'Star Trek XI'
 
Quote:

backstept wrote: (Post 2202626)
can't seem to get to the On Location News site . . . do you think we broke it?

Worked for me just now.

ancient October 21 2008 09:55 PM

Re: Smith And Grunberg On 'Star Trek XI'
 
Quote:

Dr. Fronkenshteen wrote: (Post 2202278)
Quote:

ancient wrote: (Post 2199194)
So I'm guessing we won't see Pine (Scotty) until we get to the Enterprise. Good, that means they aren't doing the contrived 'they all knew eachother since the academy' thing.

Pegg's playing Scotty, not Pine, but I agree with the sentiment.

Whoopsy.

Procutus October 22 2008 03:34 AM

Re: Smith And Grunberg On 'Star Trek XI'
 
So we still don't know if Grunberg is really in this or not?

C.E. Evans October 22 2008 04:38 AM

Re: Smith And Grunberg On 'Star Trek XI'
 
Quote:

Dane_Whitman wrote: (Post 2199562)
Ice creature? JJ wasn't kidding when he said he wanted to bring more Star Wars into Trek!

Or more TOS back into Star Trek. Been ages since we've seen any "man-eating" space monsters like a Mugato or the M-113 Salt Vampite creature...

JonathonWally October 22 2008 05:09 AM

Re: Smith And Grunberg On 'Star Trek XI'
 
Quote:

Procutus wrote: (Post 2204837)
So we still don't know if Grunberg is really in this or not?

I think it's a safe bet he's in it. He's in all of JJ's stuff.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.