The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Trek Literature (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   USS Aventine (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=68606)

Enterpriserules September 30 2008 03:23 AM

USS Aventine

I was wondering if anyone knows what this ship is suppose to look like?

nx1701g September 30 2008 03:34 AM

Re: USS Aventine

This may be better suited for TrekLit, but there are no design specifics set for it yet according to an earlier post in TrekLit.

Alidar Jarok September 30 2008 08:16 PM

I'll move it to Trek Lit :)

8of5 September 30 2008 08:29 PM

Well it's new big and shiny... and has quantum slipstream (or the potential for it), so I'm imagining it like a bigger version of this (from next year's Ships of the Line):

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Grigg...slipstream.jpg

And the novel specified it's shuttlebay 1 is on deck 12...

Christopher September 30 2008 08:48 PM

^^When I first saw that SotL calendar image back at Shore Leave, my first thought was that maybe it could be the Aventine. But then I got a closer look at it and saw that it's maybe only a few times the size of a runabout.

I just noticed... how come that ship has a tailfin?

JAG September 30 2008 08:57 PM

Cause it's cool!

8of5 September 30 2008 08:59 PM

Quote:

Christopher wrote: (Post 2126520)
^^When I first saw that SotL calendar image back at Shore Leave, my first thought was that maybe it could be the Aventine. But then I got a closer look at it and saw that it's maybe only a few times the size of a runabout.

Me too. I was a little bit disappointed when I realised it scale was wrong, but it's stuck in my head as the basis for how I see the Aventine.

Did you spot the tiny wing at the front too?

Rat Boy September 30 2008 09:08 PM

Quote:

Because Tuvok couldn't stop Paris this time.

David Mack September 30 2008 09:11 PM

Interesting. Aside from the scale, not bad. I don't know that I'm 100-percent sold on this, but I could see it working. :)

Dayton Ward September 30 2008 09:40 PM

Because ships with fins rock. :techman:

Christopher September 30 2008 09:54 PM

Quote:

David Mack wrote: (Post 2126627)
Interesting. Aside from the scale, not bad. I don't know that I'm 100-percent sold on this, but I could see it working. :)

Yeah, make it bigger, add some kind of elongated saucer (maybe arrowhead-shaped) to the front, and for Cochrane's sake get rid of the fins, and you'd have something.

Dimesdan September 30 2008 10:15 PM

Quote:

8of5 wrote: (Post 2126442)
Well it's new big and shiny... and has quantum slipstream (or the potential for it), so I'm imagining it like a bigger version of this (from next year's Ships of the Line):

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Grigg...slipstream.jpg

And the novel specified it's shuttlebay 1 is on deck 12...

A little bit of sick just came up my throat!

Marco Palmieri September 30 2008 10:17 PM

Quote:

8of5 wrote: (Post 2126570)
Quote:

Me too. I was a little bit disappointed when I realised it scale was wrong, but it's stuck in my head as the basis for how I see the Aventine.

That's really funny. I had the same thoughts--that the ship's basic configuration was a good direction for the Aventine.

Rat Boy September 30 2008 10:21 PM

Quote:

Marco Palmieri wrote: (Post 2126833)
Quote:

8of5 wrote: (Post 2126570)
Quote:

That's really funny. I had the same thoughts--that the ship's basic configuration was a good direction for the Aventine.

It could be that it's a proof-of-concept model; a smaller-scale version of the full ship for testing purposes like the Constitution mock-up seen in the picture for December.

Dayton Ward September 30 2008 10:25 PM

Quote:

Marco Palmieri wrote: (Post 2126833)

It needs a couple more fins for style.