The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TrekToday News Items (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Sarek (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=68241)

TrekToday September 26 2008 10:44 PM

Sarek

<b>Plot Summary:</b> Vulcan ambassador Sarek comes aboard the Enterprise after his staff members have warned the crew that the ambassador needs his rest and is not to be disturbed. Picard and Riker are therefore surprised to meet an energetic Sarek who wishes to inspect immediately the conference room being prepared for his upcoming negotiations with the Legarans. Nonetheless, Sarek's assistants Mendrossen and Sakkath are very protective of the ambassador and discourage him from attending a concert arranged by the Enterprise crewmembers, though Sarek's human wife, Perrin, later persuades him to attend. At the concert, Counselor Troi and Doctor Crusher are as shocked as Picard to see the Vulcanmoved to tears by the music. Meanwhile, numerous crewmembers are afflicted by fits of rage. Crusher slaps her son across the face for a minor disagreement, a bar brawl breaks out in Ten Forward, and Picard and Riker shout at each other when Troi and Crusher express their concerns that Sarek may be suffering from Bendii Syndrome - a condition in elder Vulcans that causes complete loss of emotional control. It seems clear to Picard that if Sarek is projecting violent emotions, then he must not oversee an important diplomatic meeting. After Sakkath admits that he has been using telepathy to help Sarek retain control, Picard confronts the ambassador, who becomes so enraged that his denials are meaningless. Picard proposes a mind meld that will allow Sarek to use his strength for the negotiations. While Sarek is able to carry on logical diplomacy, Picard suffers through the agony of Sarek's uncontrolled emotions. When the negotiations are concluded, the meld is ended, and Sarek and Perrin thank Picard for allowing the ambassador this final triumph.<p><p><HR ALIGN="CENTER" SIZE="1" WIDTH="45%" COLOR="#007BB5"><p>To read the full reviews, please click <A HREF="http://www.treknation.com/reviews/tng/sarek.shtml">here</A>.<center></center>

SJSharksfan39 September 27 2008 12:45 AM

Re: Sarek

Fantastic episode and great review. For those who say the original series characters got treated like crap on TNG, watch this episode. Picard risking his own self to help Sarek complete his mission with pride and dignity. There is no greater homage than that.

Centurion September 27 2008 01:51 AM

This was a great episode. One of the few times we get to see Stewart exercise his acting talent. We wouldn't see it again until Inner Light.

Smiley September 29 2008 06:48 PM

This is my favorite episode of TNG and possibly all of Trek. There is great emotional power coming from these performances, and the resonances with TOS only make things better.

RobertScorpio September 29 2008 07:40 PM

Quote:

Centurion wrote: (Post 2113223)
This was a great episode. One of the few times we get to see Stewart exercise his acting talent. We wouldn't see it again until Inner Light.

Umm..that is a pretty broad statement. I think he was very good in FAMILY, very good in Tapestry (which may have came after Inner Light) and I thought he was pretty good in Chain of Command...

Rob
Scorpio

Dream September 29 2008 08:54 PM

This episode must have been awesome for the TOS fans that watched it when the episode first aired.

Brian September 29 2008 09:27 PM

^ It was. :)

In fact, this episode is fantastic. I just realized, however, that it hardly ever comes up on lists of favorites (not even mine). I wonder why. It just never comes to mind like "The Offspring", "Yesterday's Enterprise" and "The Inner Light" do. But it is right up there with the very best of Trek (all Trek), IMO.