The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Trek Literature (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Books on Talaxians and Ferengi (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=68130)

Johnhead99 September 26 2008 03:52 AM

Books on Talaxians and Ferengi
 
These are hands down my 2 favorite races. It's too bad I am having a tough time finding material on them. So far, this is what I found.

Ferengi book about rules of aquisition(sp?) -- Garbage but serves a purpose

Legends of the Ferengi -- Decent

23rd rule (or whatever rule it was) -- Above average.

And then nothing on Talaxians. I would love a book on Neelix -- relaunch or not. Maybe his history before on Voyager. I dont care.

Or, just the Talaxian homeworld in general.


So, anyone have any I miss or any good suggestions? I am reading Ent: What Price Honor right now and I really need to get back to some based on other species. Thanks.

KRAD September 26 2008 04:01 AM

Re: Books on Talaxians and Ferengi
 
The novel you were thinking of is The 34th Rule, and it was coauthored by David R. George III and Armin Shimerman, the latter being the guy who played Quark.

I also recommend Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Volume 3, which contains two short novels, one of which is a Ferenginar tale by me called Satisfaction is Not Guaranteed.

In addition, David A. McIntee will have a novella in next year's Seven Deadly Sins entitled "Reservoir Ferengi." That'll be out in August. :)

Johnhead99 September 26 2008 04:06 AM

Re: Books on Talaxians and Ferengi
 
Quote:

KRAD wrote: (Post 2109545)
The novel you were thinking of is The 34th Rule, and it was coauthored by David R. George III and Armin Shimerman, the latter being the guy who played Quark.

I also recommend Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Volume 3, which contains two short novels, one of which is a Ferenginar tale by me called Satisfaction is Not Guaranteed.

In addition, David A. McIntee will have a novella in next year's Seven Deadly Sins entitled "Reservoir Ferengi." That'll be out in August. :)


I just finished Worlds of Star Trek: Volume 2. I learned alot about Trill and I thought the book was amazing. I have Volume 3 and I am so stoked you have a short novel in there. I am going to go start that right now. As for Seven Deadly Sins, I am going to pre-order that now. Ferengi are hands down my favorite race. The Ferengi in DS9 were very well written.

Christopher September 26 2008 04:38 AM

Re: Books on Talaxians and Ferengi
 
Quote:

Johnhead99 wrote: (Post 2109512)
I would love a book on Neelix -- relaunch or not. Maybe his history before on Voyager. I dont care.

Neelix's backstory is told, along with those of most of the other VGR regulars, in Jeri Taylor's novel Pathways.

Johnhead99 September 26 2008 04:46 AM

Re: Books on Talaxians and Ferengi
 
Quote:

Christopher wrote: (Post 2109677)
Quote:

Johnhead99 wrote: (Post 2109512)
I would love a book on Neelix -- relaunch or not. Maybe his history before on Voyager. I dont care.

Neelix's backstory is told, along with those of most of the other VGR regulars, in Jeri Taylor's novel Pathways.

How about his life post VOY returning to San Fran? He has been maybe mentioned twice in Golden's relaunch. Maybe a short story on his life with his new family and an update on whats going on in the Delta Quandrant. Maybe he can report on the Hirogen, or Kazon, or Ocampa, or whatever.

Final idea is to ignore Neelix all together, create a whole new Talaxian, and work him/her into a new story based during the whole war that was mentioned. There was an episode where a Dr was onboard VOY and tried to get a family member back. I always liked that story line and wanted to learn more. Since there is little established with it, you could probably be quite creative.

William Leisner September 26 2008 06:28 AM

Re: Books on Talaxians and Ferengi
 
Quote:

Johnhead99 wrote: (Post 2109703)
How about his life post VOY returning to San Fran? He has been maybe mentioned twice in Golden's relaunch. Maybe a short story on his life with his new family and an update on whats going on in the Delta Quandrant. Maybe he can report on the Hirogen, or Kazon, or Ocampa, or whatever.

Final idea is to ignore Neelix all together, create a whole new Talaxian, and work him/her into a new story based during the whole war that was mentioned. There was an episode where a Dr was onboard VOY and tried to get a family member back. I always liked that story line and wanted to learn more. Since there is little established with it, you could probably be quite creative.

Do not post story ideas here.

Johnhead99 September 27 2008 02:08 AM

Re: Books on Talaxians and Ferengi
 
Quote:

William Leisner wrote: (Post 2109936)
Quote:

Johnhead99 wrote: (Post 2109703)
How about his life post VOY returning to San Fran? He has been maybe mentioned twice in Golden's relaunch. Maybe a short story on his life with his new family and an update on whats going on in the Delta Quandrant. Maybe he can report on the Hirogen, or Kazon, or Ocampa, or whatever.

Final idea is to ignore Neelix all together, create a whole new Talaxian, and work him/her into a new story based during the whole war that was mentioned. There was an episode where a Dr was onboard VOY and tried to get a family member back. I always liked that story line and wanted to learn more. Since there is little established with it, you could probably be quite creative.

Do not post story ideas here.

OK. I was just rambling. The original questions was a list of books containing these races. So far, I have gotten about 2 suggestions. Any more would be great.

Therin of Andor September 27 2008 03:19 AM

Re: Books on Talaxians and Ferengi
 
Quote:

Johnhead99 wrote: (Post 2113268)
I have gotten about 2 suggestions. Any more would be great.

If there were any more, we'd have told you by now. There haven't really been any Talaxian-heavy licensed fiction. Just some Neelix backstory in "Pathways".

Defcon September 27 2008 07:53 AM

Re: Books on Talaxians and Ferengi
 
I'm amazed Keith hasn't mentioned it but there's also a S.C.E./CoE eBook largely set on Ferenginar:

Buying Time by Robert Greenberger (reprinted in the TPB Aftermath)

captcalhoun September 27 2008 11:53 AM

Re: Books on Talaxians and Ferengi
 
there's also the Ferengi-heavy "Caveat Emptor"

wew September 27 2008 01:51 PM

Re: Books on Talaxians and Ferengi
 
And I personally thought The 34th Rule was not above average, but excellent. In regards to other stories, not a whole lot as others have noted.

Johnhead99 September 27 2008 06:56 PM

Re: Books on Talaxians and Ferengi
 
Thank you all very much. I should have some material to keep me covered now for the next few months.

Caveat Emptor is not an easy book to find btw...

Starbreaker September 27 2008 07:13 PM

Re: Books on Talaxians and Ferengi
 
That's because it's an e-book. It's in the printed omnibus No Surrender

Deano2099 September 27 2008 10:23 PM

Re: Books on Talaxians and Ferengi
 
Which is bizarrely hard to find. All the other MMPB SCE books were a couple of quid new on Amazon Marketplace, but No Surrender was like 20 second hand. Fortunately I managed to find one for a reasonable price on Ebay.

Lonemagpie September 27 2008 10:36 PM

Re: Books on Talaxians and Ferengi
 
Quote:

KRAD wrote: (Post 2109545)
The novel you were thinking of is The 34th Rule, and it was coauthored by David R. George III and Armin Shimerman, the latter being the guy who played Quark.

I also recommend Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Volume 3, which contains two short novels, one of which is a Ferenginar tale by me called Satisfaction is Not Guaranteed.

In addition, David A. McIntee will have a novella in next year's Seven Deadly Sins entitled "Reservoir Ferengi." That'll be out in August. :)

Bloody hell, you mean I don't even have to hijack the thread to plug that myself?!

Cool!


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.