The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Enterprise (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Where is the catwalk? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=68083)

CaptainHawk1 September 25 2008 08:22 PM

Where is the catwalk?
 
I can't figure out where the catwalk is? Is it down the center of the nacelle? If so, would that mean that there are two of them?

-Shawn :borg:

Timo September 25 2008 08:33 PM

Re: Where is the catwalk?
 
Tucker explicitly says there are two, one in each nacelle. Apparently not quite at the centerline of the warp coils, because that would seriously hinder operations... Assuming that there's plasma pulsing at the center, like in the TNG design. Probably just below the coils, then, judging by Tucker's computer display. We never quite learn whether it was the port or starboard nacelle, though.

Our heroes clearly chose to rig just one of the two catwalks for storm cellar, perhaps because that took up less resources and time. It may also have been psychologically the right thing to do.

Timo Saloniemi

SantaEddie74 September 25 2008 08:38 PM

Re: Where is the catwalk?
 
Like Timo said, probably running right underneath of and parallel to the warp coil structures inside each nacelle. Like a big gangway or long metal plank or sidewalk with the coils housed overhead in shielded compartments above the artificial lighting.

CaptainHawk1 September 25 2008 08:39 PM

Re: Where is the catwalk?
 
Quote:

Timo wrote: (Post 2107971)
Tucker explicitly says there are two, one in each nacelle. Apparently not quite at the centerline of the warp coils, because that would seriously hinder operations... Assuming that there's plasma pulsing at the center, like in the TNG design. Probably just below the coils, then, judging by Tucker's computer display. We never quite learn whether it was the port or starboard nacelle, though.

Our heroes clearly chose to rig just one of the two catwalks for storm cellar, perhaps because that took up less resources and time. It may also have been psychologically the right thing to do.

Timo Saloniemi

I don't recall there being plasma pulsing at the center of the TNG nacelles. I was of the understanding that all of the energy is in the coils themselves. Feel free to correct thatif it's wrong.

-Shawn :borg:

King Moonracer September 25 2008 09:27 PM

Re: Where is the catwalk?
 
You'd have been able to see the geometry of the coils if the catwalk was down the center of them: http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Imag...nterior%29.jpg

SantaEddie74 September 25 2008 09:44 PM

Re: Where is the catwalk?
 
Makes one wonder if the Kirk-era Enterprises had catwalks in the nacelles. We know the Picard-era 1701-D had crawlspaces and gangways in or outside the nacelles from episodes like "Eye of the Beholder(TNG)," but did Kirk-era blueprints ever show catwalks in the nacelles of his ships?

Captain X September 25 2008 09:59 PM

Re: Where is the catwalk?
 
Presumably there's some access to the nacelles from inside the ships because there are windows along the outside of the pylons close to the front edges. Not sure why, but there are...

Finngle Bells September 26 2008 03:58 AM

Re: Where is the catwalk?
 
Must be fun in one of those Intrepid Class nacelles, sitting at your station watching your cup of tea fall off the console when the ship goes to warp....

Timo September 26 2008 09:17 AM

Re: Where is the catwalk?
 
Quote:

Makes one wonder if the Kirk-era Enterprises had catwalks in the nacelles.
In TAS "One of Our Planets is Missing", Kirk and Spock take a bit of antimatter into what they call "the antimatter nacelle", using a catwalk in the center of a horizontal cylindrar volume. It wouldn't be that much of a stretch to claim that this is one of the warp nacelles, perhaps its very bow - and indeed Doug Drexler created his TOS ship cutaway drawing with this theory in mind, and it became sort of canonical when used in ENT "In a Mirror, Darkly"...

Whether we are to literally believe that one nacelle is matter, the other antimatter... I'd prefer not to. Jump-starting the drive from just one nacelle, rather than from Main Engineering, must be a special backup-of-backup scenario that might have its special procedures; perhaps only the starboard one is configured to receive the jumpstart dose of antimatter, and therefore enjoys this odd designation?

Timo Saloniemi

Timelord Victorious September 27 2008 05:46 PM

Re: Where is the catwalk?
 
Quote:

Finn wrote: (Post 2109533)
Must be fun in one of those Intrepid Class nacelles, sitting at your station watching your cup of tea fall off the console when the ship goes to warp....

Being inside the nacelle your cup of tea would be as unaffected as yourself. But if you look down the corridor it must look pretty funny, when the whole rest of the ship folds up.

doctorwho 03 September 27 2008 07:36 PM

Re: Where is the catwalk?
 
Quote:

Timo wrote: (Post 2110243)
Quote:

Makes one wonder if the Kirk-era Enterprises had catwalks in the nacelles.
In TAS "One of Our Planets is Missing", Kirk and Spock take a bit of antimatter into what they call "the antimatter nacelle", using a catwalk in the center of a horizontal cylindrar volume. It wouldn't be that much of a stretch to claim that this is one of the warp nacelles, perhaps its very bow - and indeed Doug Drexler created his TOS ship cutaway drawing with this theory in mind, and it became sort of canonical when used in ENT "In a Mirror, Darkly"...

Whether we are to literally believe that one nacelle is matter, the other antimatter... I'd prefer not to. Jump-starting the drive from just one nacelle, rather than from Main Engineering, must be a special backup-of-backup scenario that might have its special procedures; perhaps only the starboard one is configured to receive the jumpstart dose of antimatter, and therefore enjoys this odd designation?

Timo Saloniemi

The FJ blueprints also had this same catwalk in the nacelle. Probably inspired by this very episode.

Also, it was Kirk and Scotty, not Spock.

AstroSmurf September 27 2008 09:00 PM

Re: Where is the catwalk?
 
Check out this screencap from Trek Core... the location of the catwalk according to a NX-01 computer screen.

I hope that answers the question. :bolian:

Kelso September 28 2008 05:07 AM

Re: Where is the catwalk?
 
Quote:

Timo wrote: (Post 2110243)
Quote:

Makes one wonder if the Kirk-era Enterprises had catwalks in the nacelles.
In TAS "One of Our Planets is Missing", Kirk and Spock take a bit of antimatter into what they call "the antimatter nacelle", using a catwalk in the center of a horizontal cylindrar volume. It wouldn't be that much of a stretch to claim that this is one of the warp nacelles, perhaps its very bow - and indeed Doug Drexler created his TOS ship cutaway drawing with this theory in mind, and it became sort of canonical when used in ENT "In a Mirror, Darkly"...

Whether we are to literally believe that one nacelle is matter, the other antimatter... I'd prefer not to. Jump-starting the drive from just one nacelle, rather than from Main Engineering, must be a special backup-of-backup scenario that might have its special procedures; perhaps only the starboard one is configured to receive the jumpstart dose of antimatter, and therefore enjoys this odd designation?

Timo Saloniemi

PIC

Source: ex-astris-scientia


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.