The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TrekToday News Items (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Kurtzman and Orci On 'Star Trek' Canon (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=67540)

TrekToday September 20 2008 10:45 PM

Kurtzman and Orci On 'Star Trek' Canon

The trick to writing <i>Star Trek XI</i> was being consistent with the legendary characters, yet bringing something new into the mix.<p>As reported by <A class="link" HREF="http://www.craveonline.com">Crave</A>, neither <font color=yellow>Roberto Orci</font> nor <font color=yellow>Alex Kurtzman</font> were tempted to write "dramatic pauses," in dialogue meant for Captain Kirk. "...the tricky part about it, and this is actually hard I think on all the actors, is the actors who played those parts in the original series and established those characters, are legendary," explained Kurtzman. "Everybody knows those actors and everybody knows those characters. So you have to be consistent with that if you are going to cast new people in those roles and yet, you have to bring something new to the mix. So the actors were walking this very tricky line of not giving a cartoony performance that's really mimicking the original actors, and bringing their own thing to the table."<p><i>Star Trek</i> canon wasn't merely limited to aired <i>Star Trek</i> as far as the <i>Star Trek XI</i> writers were concerned. "We did a lot of reading of the books," explained Kurtzman. "I think we consider the books canon to a large degree so it's very important to us to stay consistent. But there is a bit of a hole and there's actually different mythologies about their history so it's a matter of staying consistent but also figuring out how you can play around a little bit anchored by the rules."<p>Working on <i>Star Trek XI</i> was a big responsibility. "The fact that somehow we've inherited that mantle is insane," said Kurtzman. "It's such a responsibility. We take it so seriously and between all of us, Bob and me and Damon Lindelof and Bryan Burk and J.J. [Abrams], there are different degrees of fandom and different degrees of knowledge and different perspectives on what Trek is. It's a really good mix of people because I think it will ultimately allow us to stay very true to canon and also bring something new."<p>To read more, head to the article located <A class="link" HREF="http://www.craveonline.com/articles/scifi/04651707/roberto_orci_and_alex_kurtzman_on_fringe__trek.htm l">here</A>.<center></center>

Procutus September 21 2008 02:08 AM

Re: Kurtzman and Orci On 'Star Trek' Canon

At least Orci and Kurtzman are a bit more coherent sounding than Abrams. They still didn't really say anything new, but this article made more sense than anything J.J.'s said of late.

Temis the Vorta September 21 2008 03:07 AM

Sounds like they're educating themselves, even bothering to consider books "canon" (an impossibility if you take it literally, but some books have good ideas such as Diane Duane on Vulcans). My main objection to writers breaking canon is when it's done in a lazy, ignorant fashion. Knowingly breaking canon for a good reason is perfectly okay (if they're using good judgment and, most importantly, if I agree with their judgment :rommie:).

ancient September 21 2008 04:26 AM

I imagine they're drawing on the books for Kirk & Spock's backstory and info on their parents that was never shown on screen, but which most of fandom treats as canon.

Though...if they consider the shatnerverse books canon...things could get interesting!

:p

Tulin September 21 2008 06:07 AM

Blah blah blah the old fans will like it blah blah blah but new viewers will like it too blah blah blah.

Just hurry up and release the fucking film already.

Tyson September 21 2008 06:56 AM

Does anybody believe these guys? I want to, but come on this isn't anything we haven't heard before.

ancient September 21 2008 07:10 AM

Eh, people keep asking for info, but at this point they're literally sitting on a finished product and can't release it.

Yeah, we've heard it before, and if any of the give an interview between now and next year we'll hear it again.

There will be NO NEW NEWS unless there is a major security breach at paramount until the trailer comes out. Actually this isn't old news, it's just people talking at this point.

Y'all have to wait for official press releases.

TJinPgh September 21 2008 10:49 AM

I think I gotta go with Ancient on this one.

Following this thing is getting to be like following the presidential election.

If you're expecting to hear something new at this point, you're likely expecting too much.

They're all saying nothing more than they've said before, and likely only the parts that have gotten good buzz in the past.

It's all pre-scripted talking points.

Procutus September 21 2008 06:19 PM

Quote:

TJinPgh wrote: (Post 2092613)

Following this thing is getting to be like following the presidential election.

Yup, I'll go along with that. At least with the election, we have only about six more weeks in which to suffer.

:devil:

Tulin September 21 2008 11:44 PM

Yeah and hopefully you'll all choose right this time.

"Leader of the free world" my arse. If he is MY leader as well, then why the hell don't I get a vote?

ancient September 22 2008 11:15 PM

Quote:

Tulin wrote: (Post 2094194)
Yeah and hopefully you'll all choose right this time.

"Leader of the free world" my arse. If he is MY leader as well, then why the hell don't I get a vote?

And then someone shouted "revolution!" and threw a snowball in the general direction of Washington DC.

Seriously, if you vote for your non-American leader, he/she can then influence the American prez to a certain degree. So you have the powah.

in a very small, indirect way, of course. That's the nature of a huge-ass multinational organization.

Procutus September 23 2008 12:52 AM

^

Yeah.

Kinda sad, isn't it?