The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TrekToday News Items (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Braga's 'Flash Forward' Heads To ABC (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=67481)

TrekToday September 20 2008 06:07 AM

Braga's 'Flash Forward' Heads To ABC

<i>Flash Forward</i>, written by filmmaker <font color=yellow>David S. Goyer</font> and <i>Star Trek</i> veteran <font color=yellow>Brannon Braga</font>, may soon join <i>Lost</i> on ABC. <p>As reported by the <A class="link" HREF="http://www.hollywoodreporter.com">Hollywood Reporter</A> and <A class="link" HREF="http://www.reuters.com">Reuters</A>, <i>Flash Forward</i>, a science fiction show based on <font color=yellow>Robert J. Sawyer's</font> novel of the same name, is close to being acquired by ABC after a bidding war between ABC and FOX networks.<p>The premise of <i>Flash Forward</i> is the chaos that occurs all over the world after an experiment goes somehow awry. Everyone in the entire world blacks out for two minutes and seventeen seconds, after which they have a mysterious vision of what will happen twenty years into the future.<p>Braga will be an executive producer on <i>Flash Forward</i> while continuing to work full-time on <i>24</i>. The pilot for <i>Flash Forward</i> will be directed by Goyer. <i>Flash Forward</i> is expected to air in 2009.<p>To read more, head to the articles located <A class="link" HREF="http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/television/news/e3i47f5cb6394a9cc0f53497a9f9dde8287">here</A> and <A class="link" HREF="http://www.reuters.com/article/televisionNews/idUSN1939748220080919">here</A>.<center></center>

number6 September 20 2008 06:10 AM

Re: Braga's 'Flash Forward' Heads To ABC

Looks promising!
I'll be checking it out!!

I hope the series does well.

TorontoTrekker September 20 2008 06:46 AM

From Rob Sawyer's blog:

Quote:

Actually, the deal has closed, and it had even before the Hollywood Reporter piece went online. It closed at 5:30 p.m. Pacific time that day, after many days of marathon negotiations between ABC and David's agents at CAA, Brannon's agents at Endeavor, and my agents at Created By. We're going ahead. I've read David and Brannon's pilot script, and it is magnificent.

number6 September 20 2008 11:09 AM

^Sweet!!

OmahaStar September 20 2008 03:06 PM

It's just too bad Braga's involved. Shitty crapfests are his specialty. No matter how good it sounds at first, it'll suck by the time it hits the page. I'll be avoiding this one.

Data Holmes September 20 2008 05:56 PM

Quote:

OmahaStar wrote: (Post 2090445)
It's just too bad Braga's involved. Shitty crapfests are his specialty. No matter how good it sounds at first, it'll suck by the time it hits the page. I'll be avoiding this one.

Threshold, the TV show not the Voy eps, was not that bad at all. I think it just didn't have time to catch it's legs.

Temis the Vorta September 20 2008 07:53 PM

Quote:

hutt359 wrote: (Post 2090772)
Quote:

Threshold, the TV show not the Voy eps, was not that bad at all. I think it just didn't have time to catch it's legs.

It was too cliche-ridden but the premise was intriguing and the cast was good. I doubt the writing would have improved - it was consistently mediocre - but I was willing to watch it for a while.

And I'm willing to give this new show a shot. In any case, there's some debate whether this is "Braga's" like is being touted.

TJinPgh September 20 2008 11:58 PM

I kind of liked Threshold, in a V sort of way.

At any rate, I just hope ABC gives it a better opportunity than they gave Invasion, which seemed to have a decent following when they decided to yank the plug.

Morpheus 02 September 22 2008 04:09 AM

A couple things that surprised me...

1) That Braga has a job with 24??!! I guess Manny Coto felt grateful for having a chance to run Enterprise (guiding it to its best season, and created hope for a possible future)

2) Braga isn't getting torn apart on this thread.

TJinPgh September 22 2008 03:40 PM

A couple of thoughts on Braga.

1. I always wondered how much of what went into Trek was him and how much was Berman. Not saying he wasn't responsible. Just saying I'm not sure.

2. There's no denying that B&B were responsible for a lot of bad stuff when it comes to Trek. But, I think it would be wrong to deny that they created a lot of good stuff, as well.

I think their biggest crime was one of being lazy. They were far too willing to sponge the bottom of an empty well rather than to find a stream someplace else.

Still, they managed to pump out 18 seasons of Trek (plus a few seasons of TNG) and five movies (that had roughtly the same % of good and bad as Roddenberry) before finally getting replaced.

They ran Trek far too long. But, it wasn't all bad.

There's no reason to think that they couldn't be successful creating something different.

Threshold would probably still be running had it somewhere other than a big three network. If it had been a first run show on SciFi or USA, it likely would have had a much better chance for survival.

CBS moved it from one night to another with little fanfare, gave it ONE week to get ratings then canceled it.

They show that it switched with, Close To Home, didn't do any better that week in Threhold's time slot, but didn't meet with the same fate (immediately).

All I'm saying is that networkd TV tends to yank the plug on sci-fi shows pretty quickly.

Zeke September 22 2008 08:09 PM

Man, now I really do have to start watching 24! I've been hesitant since there was so much catching up to do, but I didn't know Braga was writing for them now. That sounds like a very good fit. (Not as good as The X-Files would've been, though. In TNG's last season, it was like he was writing XF episodes with Trek characters.)

I'll check out the new show too. Hope it gets a better shot than Threshold did.

JonathonWally September 22 2008 09:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It went from a pretty good pilot with extraordinary ideas and visuals, with some potential for greatness and went completely pedestrian and paint by numbers within 2 episodes.

Data Holmes September 22 2008 11:12 PM

Quote:

Temis the Vorta wrote: (Post 2091061)
Quote:

Quote:

It was too cliche-ridden but the premise was intriguing and the cast was good. I doubt the writing would have improved - it was consistently mediocre - but I was willing to watch it for a while.

And I'm willing to give this new show a shot. In any case, there's some debate whether this is "Braga's" like is being touted.

Quote:

JonathonWally wrote: (Post 2096992)
Quote:

Quote:

It went from a pretty good pilot with extraordinary ideas and visuals, with some potential for greatness and went completely pedestrian and paint by numbers within 2 episodes.

Both of you are correct, and I think it goes into a little of who Braga is. He is a great "Idea" guy, but needs others to help in it's execution. In this sense he's similar to GR. Gene was best as the head of a creative team, but when left unchecked he tended to not have the best results. This is why Braga and Moore were such a great team.

I think that the big killer was Berman. The man was tired and a glory hound, and I think he fucked up by breaking up the Braga and Moore team. Braga was the more "easily" controlled of the two so Berman shunted Moore off to DS9 and took Braga over to voyager to cultivate him like he did GR in the early days of TNG.

I really think that had Berman been keept in the "high office" and ran the franchise as more of a GM incharge of money and dealing with the corporate office overhead, and left the creative control and day to day show running to B&M, and the other "writer/producers" of DS9 and Voyager, trek wouldn't have been in the sorry state it was with enterprise.

TEH BABA September 23 2008 12:47 AM

Kinda funny how Ron Moore was able to do with a crappy 70's series.

zenophite September 23 2008 06:49 AM

I've never been much of a braga fan but I liked Threshold.

Since Goyer is in with him on this one too maybe they can cast Carla Gugino to round it out :drool: