The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Trek Literature (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Destiny: Gods of Night by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!) (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=67476)

haubrija September 19 2008 06:08 PM

Destiny: Gods of Night by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

At the suggestion of Rosalind in the other thread, I figured I'd start this new thread as my copy just arrived in my hands via Amazon. I'm gonna tear into it as soon as I get home and will post a review as soon as I finish it. Anyone else get their's yet?

nx1701g September 19 2008 06:12 PM

Star Trek: Destiny: Gods of Night Discuss/Grade <Spoilers>

Quote:

Book Jacket:
Half a decade after the Dominion War and more than a year after the rise and fall of Praetor Shinzon, the galaxy's greatest scourge returns to wreak havoc upon the Federation -- and this time its goal is nothing less than total annihilation.

Elsewhere, deep in the Gamma Quadrant, an ancient mystery is solved. One of Earth's first generation of starships, lost for centuries, has been found dead and empty on a desolate planet. But its discovery so far from home has raised disturbing questions, and the answers harken back to a struggle for survival that once tested a captain and her crew to the limits of their humanity.

From that terrifying flashpoint begins an apocalyptic odyssey that will reach across time and space to reveal the past, define the future, and show three captains -- Jean-Luc Picard of the U.S.S. Enterprise, TM William Riker of the U.S.S. Titan, and Ezri Dax of the U.S.S Aventine -- that some destinies are inescapable.
It is now available at Borders stores in PA.

Dimesdan September 19 2008 06:26 PM

Re: Star Trek: Destiny: Gods of Night - Spoiler Thread

Two threads opened on the same subject with in fifteen minutes of each other, so can the mods close one of them? (I personally suggest this one as the other thread has a funky little ratings poll as well)

BryanSorensen September 19 2008 10:07 PM

Re: Star Trek: Destiny: Gods of Night Discuss/Grade <Spoilers>

wooohhooo! its about time and let the fun begin! I cant wait to read these!

William Leisner September 20 2008 01:28 AM

Re: Star Trek: Destiny: Gods of Night Discuss/Grade <Spoilers>

So, would the two people who already voted "excellent" like to expand on that here?

(I'd ask the same of the one who voted failure, but I know how busy Keith is...)

Rosalind September 20 2008 04:41 AM

Grade "Star Trek: Destiny: Gods of Night"

I've put a new poll on the top, so now we can see who voted what. :devil:

Steve Roby September 20 2008 03:10 PM

Re: Star Trek: Destiny: Gods of Night - SPOILER Thread

Quoting the review I just posted over at my Starfleet Library blog...

Spoilers ahead.

The concise review: wow.

On to the more detailed commentary.

(Yeah, I know this is a spoiler thread, but it's a long post.)

Ob$quote: This is how to do a Star Trek crossover. With epic scope, intensity, and raw emotion, Gods of Night is a powerful beginning to a story that looks likely to have real consequences for the Star Trek universe. Not to be missed.

Species7582 September 20 2008 03:58 PM

^ what Steve Roby said

Reanok September 20 2008 05:24 PM

Thanks for the review Steve. I can't wait to get these books. Reading those excerpts online made me even more curious as to what's going to happen with this miniseries. What happens to the characters and the consquences they'll have to deal with.

flandry84 September 20 2008 10:34 PM

Troi? Emotional problems?
That's me then.:(

Aatrek September 21 2008 12:09 AM

Quick question: how much fictional time has passed between "Fearful Symmetry" (the last DS9 book) and "Gods of Night?"

I assume there will still be a number of DS9 books to catch the timeline up to 'Destiny' over the next few... years?

KRAD September 21 2008 12:30 AM

Quote:

Aatrek wrote: (Post 2091619)
Quick question: how much fictional time has passed between "Fearful Symmetry" (the last DS9 book) and "Gods of Night?"

Four years. FS is in early 2377 and Destiny is in early 2381.

Quote:

I assume there will still be a number of DS9 books to catch the timeline up to 'Destiny' over the next few... years?
Yuppurs. :)

Steve Roby September 21 2008 12:56 AM

Quote:

flandry84 wrote: (Post 2091447)
Troi? Emotional problems?
That's me then.:(

Troi's problems are just one part of one of four storylines. Are you really going to let that stop you from reading this?

flandry84 September 21 2008 06:57 PM

How many books do you buy intending to skip certain parts?
I could type a list of adjetives to describe my feelings on Deanna Troi,but all I will say is that she is ...a drag.
TBH,my disenchantment with most of current Treklit means that probably,yes,I will sit this one out.
I mean no disrespect to the authors/producers,but that iis how it is.

Steve Roby September 21 2008 07:19 PM

Your loss.