The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TrekToday News Items (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Kurtzman And Orci Say 'Star Trek XI' Most Like 'The Wrath of Khan' (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=66949)

TrekToday September 16 2008 12:59 AM

Kurtzman And Orci Say 'Star Trek XI' Most Like 'The Wrath of Khan'

<i>Star Trek XI</i> co-writers <font color=yellow>Alex Kurtzman</font> and <font color=yellow>Roberto Orci</font> drew inspiration from <i>The Wrath of Khan</i> when penning <i>Star Trek XI</i>, finding it most like their movie.<p>As reported by <A class="link" HREF="http://www.iesb.net">Iesb.net</A>, when asked which of the previous ten movies was most like <i>Star Trek XI</i>, at first, Orci wasn't sure how to answer the question. "In some ways, it shares the spirit with so many of them and in some ways it's...I don't know." <p>Kurtzman thought about the question and said, "Tough question to answer, just because there are so many different things. I guess the best way for me to answer is I can tell you that the movie for me that affected me the most as a kid was 'Wrath of Khan.' And that movie stood out for me because it had an unbelievable bad guy and the stakes just never felt higher."<p>Orci agreed, adding, "And every character was at their most actualized. It really had the classic delivery for every character, they are finally their full selves in that movie I think, more than any of the features."<p>"And obviously the relationship between Kirk and Spock in that movie was as good as it gets," said Kurtzman. "So, I think, that must have, or that contributed to our approach." <p>To read the article, head to the link located <A class="link" HREF="http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_ezine&task=read&page=1&catego ry=2&article=5475">here</A>.<center></center>

Procutus September 16 2008 01:18 AM

Re: Kurtzman And Orci Say 'Star Trek XI' Most Like 'The Wrath of Khan'

Interesting. I wonder if that's an indication that Bana's Nero is also a really strong bad guy, or if the similarity is in the way the seven main characters are drawn.

Data Holmes September 16 2008 01:52 AM

Man, the studio people say this about every movie... It's almost a given that there will be a "like TWOK" slug line somewhere in the press. :lol:

Procutus September 16 2008 01:54 AM

^

Well, if they'd said it was like Nemesis I'd be worried.

:devil:

Star Treks September 16 2008 02:30 AM

They said that Shinzon was the best bad guy since Wrath of Khan, that Ru'Afo was the best bad guy since Wrath of Khan, that First Contact was the best Trek movie since Wrath of Khan. They were only right about FC.

Norrin Radd September 16 2008 03:36 AM

It's a cliche...

WalkinMan September 16 2008 04:59 AM

Quote:

hutt359 wrote: (Post 2073671)
Man, the studio people say this about every movie... It's almost a given that there will be a "like TWOK" slug line somewhere in the press. :lol:

Sigh, apparently so. Actually the warning lights came on when I heard this comparison. And definitely because of how NEM was hyped as 'like TWoK' - and yes it did rip off some elements. But it was such a pale imitation...

Frankly they should get past the 'ol Berman-esque 'like TWoK' stuff. It's a cliche, indeed, and why does every next Trek film have to try (and fail) to be 'the next TWoK'?? Why not be the First of ...whatever new film it was.

In some ways, the whole 'make another "First Contact"' is an example...rather than trying to recreate the spirit of a film, create a whole new one that stands on its own merits, and becomes one that others try to copy again.

Admiral_Jinky September 16 2008 07:02 AM

Actually, I rather liked Ru'Afo. And I felt his reason for villainy was more legit than the other villains outside of Khan.
Quote:

Star Treks wrote: (Post 2073820)
...that Ru'Afo was the best bad guy since Wrath of Khan...

Admiral_Jinky September 16 2008 07:04 AM

Quote:

WalkinMan wrote: (Post 2074179)
...why does every next Trek film have to try (and fail) to be 'the next TWoK'?? Why not be the First of ...whatever new film it was?

Amen to that!!

T'Cal September 16 2008 05:22 PM

I'm taking this more as a reference to the success TWoK was rather than the storyline. TWoK was a success artistically as well as with the critics and at the box office.

Harvey September 17 2008 01:58 AM

They've been saying this for how many movies? Certainly each of the four Next Generation films. Here, it's a bit more nuanced than the "our villain will be as good as Khan" argument, but not much more, really. I'm in eternal wait and see mode until the film comes out.

Broccoli September 17 2008 03:49 AM

Did anyone actually read the interview? The article title is very misleading, imo. They never said "Our movie is like WoK!" or "Our movie is the best since WoK!" They said WoK left the biggest impression on them. To me, that is a big difference. Now, they said they were influenced by WoK (particularly a strong villain and the K/S relationship), but said that they were influenced by things from all the movies as well.

T'Cal September 17 2008 04:55 AM

Quote:

Broccoli wrote: (Post 2078327)
Did anyone actually read the interview? The article title is very misleading, imo. They never said "Our movie is like WoK!" or "Our movie is the best since WoK!" They said WoK left the biggest impression on them. To me, that is a big difference. Now, they said they were influenced by WoK (particularly a strong villain and the K/S relationship), but said that they were influenced by things from all the movies as well.

Well said.

Keldor September 25 2008 12:33 PM

'Star Trek XI' Most Like 'The Wrath of Khan'

So was Nemesis and it was still awful.

ancient September 25 2008 03:55 PM

Well, considering that TWOK is essentially the only good Star Trek action movie (discounting TNG/FC) it's only natural that it is the only movie ever mentioned. :lol:

Quote:

Keldor wrote: (Post 2106577)
'Star Trek XI' Most Like 'The Wrath of Khan'

So was Nemesis and it was still awful.

Wait, NEM was not like TWOK. It was like crap, which is why it was crap.