The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TrekToday News Items (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   'Star Trek XI' Henke Role (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=66771)

TrekToday September 14 2008 06:57 AM

'Star Trek XI' Henke Role

<font color=yellow>Brad William Henke</font> spoke recently about his role of "Uncle Frank," the not-so-nice relative of James T. Kirk. <p>As reported by <A class="link" HREF="http://www.collider.com">Collider.com</A>, James T. Kirk's family isn't all sweetness and light. "I play Captain Kirk's alcoholic, abusive uncle when he's a kid," said Henke. "I treat him very badly, which forces him to go off and do what he does."<p>A <i>Star Trek</i> fan before his work on <i>Star Trek XI</i>, Henke enjoyed portraying the unpleasant relative. "It was fun, it was fun to play such a...asshole. You know, such a bad character."<p>Henke had no scenes with <font color=yellow>Chris Pine</font> as revealed when he was asked if Pine "flubs his lines a lot." "No, cause I just had...I was with the little kid," said Henke.<p>Working with <font color=yellow>J.J. Abrams</font> was another pleasant experience for Henke. It was "Awesome! Awesome, really nice guy," said Henke. "And he was so positive, and he was, he was awesome! He was such a nice guy, and so into it. Running around, just really into it."<p>To read more, head to the article located <A class="link" HREF="http://www.collider.com/entertainment/news/article.asp/aid/9161/tcid/1">here</A>.<center></center>

Augustus September 14 2008 07:13 AM

Re: 'Star Trek XI' Henke Role

interesting...

Pioneer September 14 2008 11:37 AM

An abusive uncle. Great. That's just fucking great. Looks like a re-boot up the ass.

Broccoli September 14 2008 02:41 PM

Quote:

Pioneer wrote: (Post 2067702)
An abusive uncle. Great. That's just fucking great. Looks like a re-boot up the ass.

Okay...where was it stated before that Kirk didn't have an abusive uncle? And, also, please tell us why Kirk went off to Starfleet and where it was stated as such.

Oh, and fandom doesn't count.

Lindley September 14 2008 03:00 PM

Hey, as long as his father's name is still George......

Temis the Vorta September 15 2008 02:41 AM

Bleah, as a motive for little Jim Kirk to go to the Academy, that's pretty cliched. Why can't he just, you know, decide he wants to go? Why does everyone have to have a tragic frakkin' childhood?!?! :klingon: Nobody in real life ever accomplished anything if they had a normal childhood?

Admiral Buzzkill September 15 2008 02:48 AM

Quote:

Pioneer wrote: (Post 2067702)

As long as it's a good movie. :techman:

donners22 September 15 2008 06:42 AM

Have we had an alcoholic character in Star Trek, aside from Damar (and even that was fairly subtle)?

Data Holmes September 15 2008 07:10 AM

Quote:

donners22 wrote: (Post 2070342)
Have we had an alcoholic character in Star Trek, aside from Damar (and even that was fairly subtle)?

Scotty is implied to be a functioning one, or at least a heavy drinker...

Star Treks September 15 2008 10:30 AM

Quote:

Temis the Vorta wrote: (Post 2069763)
Bleah, as a motive for little Jim Kirk to go to the Academy, that's pretty cliched. Why can't he just, you know, decide he wants to go? Why does everyone have to have a tragic frakkin' childhood?!?! :klingon: Nobody in real life ever accomplished anything if they had a normal childhood?

I would venture that few people ever actually have "normal" childhoods. Or to put it another way, I think tragic childhood is pretty much normal.

EyalM September 15 2008 11:17 AM

Quote:

Temis the Vorta wrote: (Post 2069763)

There is no drama in showing normal people in normal situations. When was the last time you saw a movie about people with no problems having a normal day?

Admiral Buzzkill September 15 2008 03:35 PM

Quote:

donners22 wrote: (Post 2070342)

I'd say Scotty. That, of course, is implicit.

Great comic scene in "By Any Other Name," where Scotty literally holds the future of all sentient life in our galaxy, but can't make it to the door of his quarters. Extenuating circumstances? Yeah. But you know how you develop the tolerance to drink someone under the table to the tune of (at least) several bottles of brandy and whiskey?

donners22 September 16 2008 12:40 AM

Perhaps the abuse is not only physical, and is used to explain Kirk's subsequent womanising ways?

sturmde September 18 2008 02:03 PM

Perhaps O&K were observant enough to note that in one episode George Jr "Sam" had 3 kids, but then had only Peter.

If so, Uncle Drunk perhaps caused an accident that killed 2 of Jim Kirk's nephews and/or nieces.

That would add angst to the deaths of Sam and Aurelan.

TJinPgh September 19 2008 05:20 PM

I suppose if I wanted to defend this whole thing (which, I don't) I could say that perhaps this is what Sybok and Kirk were talking about when Sybok wanted to take away Kirk's pain and Kirk told him no.

Again, the whole thing just seems so unnecessary. But, it's the same kind of pointless drivel that I'd expect from Star Wars fans doing a Trek movie.

It's just a matter of time before we hear of a pod race through the corn field.

I wonder if this means that we'll be spared the abusive step father now.