The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TrekToday News Items (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Takei Nuptials Approach (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=66517)

TrekToday September 11 2008 10:33 PM

Takei Nuptials Approach
 
<font color=yellow>George Takei</font> will marry his long-term partner <font color=yellow>Brad Altman</font> on September 13th in a "show business-type" marriage ceremony.<p>As reported by <A class="link" HREF="http://www.sovo.com">Southern Voice</A>, Takei and Altman will marry in a ceremony tailor-made to their personal tastes with several <i>Star Trek</i> alumni taking part in the ceremony. "We wanted to craft a wedding that is tailor-made to say 'us,'" said Takei. <p>A Mexican-American minister will preside over the ceremony. A Scottish bag pipe will lead the party from the Democracy Forum to the Japanese-American National Museum for the reception. The Los Angeles Gay Men's Choir will perform, and a musician on the ancient Japanese instrument, the Koto, will play jazz. <font color=yellow>Walter Koenig</font>(Chekov) will be the best man, while <font color=yellow>Nichelle Nichols</font> will be "best lady." "She didn't like the word 'matron,' explained Takei, "so we changed it."<p>"[The wedding's] going to be a somewhat of a show bizzy, musical comedy oriented," said Takei. "As a matter of fact, our wedding march is going to be 'One Singular Sensation' from 'Chorus Line,' so it might be a little bit 'toutou,' but it's who we are; we love musicals."<p>Takei has been active in the fight for gay marriage. He told the story of a family member who wanted to, but could not marry a Caucasian until the late 1940s. "My aunt, back in the '40s, wanted to marry a Caucasian man, and that couldn't be done until the California Supreme Court declared it equal in 1948, and they're still happily married," said Takei. "At that time, the rallying cry was the purity of the race. Now it's defined as a man or a woman. We're finding out what American democracy really is about. You should marry who you love, not artificially designated by gender."<p>According to Takei, as reported by <A class="link" HREF="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/">The Huffington Post</A>, problems still exist with acceptance of gays, but Takei feels that those problems will be overcome in time. "Now I see legalistic barbed-wire fences incarcerating another group of Americans. It's going to take some time. I know many people are patient, and I sense the impatience...but it will happen, it will eventually happen."<p>What will the marriage certificate give Takei that almost two decades of partnership hasn't? "We've had twenty-one years together," said Takei, "but what that wedding ceremony will do is give us that dignity." <p>To read more, head to the article located <A class="link" HREF="http://www.sovo.com/2008/8-29/arts/feature/9086.cfm">here</A>. Takei can be seen in a video interview located <A class="link" HREF="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tom-gregory/to-boldly-go-where-no-cal_b_124701.html">here</A>.<center></center>

Turbo September 11 2008 10:43 PM

Re: Takei Nuptials Approach
 
"One Singular Sensation"? :guffaw: That seems very George Takei, honestly.

Nice to see that he, Koenig, and Nichols are still such good friends.

Kpnuts September 11 2008 10:58 PM

Re: Takei Nuptials Approach
 
Do we hear news reports about any other cast member's relationship status or goings on?

No.

So why must we be over-run with Takei news every week? This is no different. He thinks it's the biggest news since sliced bread, but it really really isn't.

Turbo September 11 2008 11:06 PM

Re: Takei Nuptials Approach
 
Oh, and the song is actually just called "One".

The first line is "One singular sensation, every step that she takes". Hell, even I didn't remember it correctly at first.

Samuel T. Cogley September 11 2008 11:17 PM

Re: Takei Nuptials Approach
 
Quote:

Kpnuts wrote: (Post 2058811)
So why must we be over-run with Takei news every week? This is no different. He thinks it's the biggest news since sliced bread, but it really really isn't.

Sure it is. It's great news! :D (Maybe you should go easy on the raw lemons.)

Congrats, George! You deserve it! :techman:

And thanks for all the recent entertainment on "The Howard Stern Show." Your 'Gay Bachelor Party' was beyond hilarious.

Good luck, pal! (And remember, marriage can be a real pain in the ass.)

Swarles Barkley September 11 2008 11:54 PM

Re: Takei Nuptials Approach
 
Quote:

Samuel T. Cogley wrote: (Post 2058895)

...marriage can be a real pain in the ass...

Perhaps the biggest understatement in the entire history of understatements.

Best of luck, George!

T'Bonz September 12 2008 02:11 AM

Re: Takei Nuptials Approach
 
Quote:

Kpnuts wrote: (Post 2058811)
Do we hear news reports about any other cast member's relationship status or goings on?

No.

So why must we be over-run with Takei news every week? This is no different. He thinks it's the biggest news since sliced bread, but it really really isn't.


He's getting married. When other Trek stars get married, I'm happy to report that too. :)

Kpnuts September 12 2008 03:20 AM

Re: Takei Nuptials Approach
 
I've just never seen a news story about another Trek star getting married that's all. Especially not multiple posts, leading up to their marriage. It's as if this one is being treated differently to the others and I think that's wrong personally.

Plus I think Takei is a media whore, but that's besides the point ;)

Pioneer September 12 2008 07:58 AM

Re: Takei Nuptials Approach
 
Mazel Tov, George and Brad, מזל טוב!

Gep Malakai September 12 2008 09:58 AM

Re: Takei Nuptials Approach
 
Quote:

Swarles Barkley wrote: (Post 2059038)
Quote:

Samuel T. Cogley wrote: (Post 2058895)

...marriage can be a real pain in the ass...

Perhaps the biggest understatement in the entire history of understatements.

Oh! Ouch. We need a rimshot smiley. :lol:

Samuel T. Cogley September 12 2008 03:13 PM

Re: Takei Nuptials Approach
 
Quote:

Gep Malakai wrote: (Post 2060333)
Quote:

Swarles Barkley wrote: (Post 2059038)
Quote:

Samuel T. Cogley wrote: (Post 2058895)

...marriage can be a real pain in the ass...

Perhaps the biggest understatement in the entire history of understatements.

Oh! Ouch. We need a rimshot smiley. :lol:

Yeah, I thought about that when I wrote it. (Of course.)

If I remember correctly, George explained on the Howard Stern Show (in great detail) about what he does and does not do. And he does not do that. ;)

J. Allen September 12 2008 03:15 PM

Re: Takei Nuptials Approach
 
Quote:

TrekToday wrote: (Post 2058704)
<font color=yellow>George Takei</font> will marry his long-term partner <font color=yellow>Brad Altman</font> on September 13th in a "show business-type" marriage ceremony.<p>As reported by <A class="link" HREF="http://www.sovo.com">Southern Voice</A>, Takei and Altman will marry in a ceremony tailor-made to their personal tastes with several <i>Star Trek</i> alumni taking part in the ceremony. "We wanted to craft a wedding that is tailor-made to say 'us,'" said Takei. <p>A Mexican-American minister will preside over the ceremony. A Scottish bag pipe will lead the party from the Democracy Forum to the Japanese-American National Museum for the reception. The Los Angeles Gay Men's Choir will perform, and a musician on the ancient Japanese instrument, the Koto, will play jazz. <font color=yellow>Walter Koenig</font>(Chekov) will be the best man, while <font color=yellow>Nichelle Nichols</font> will be "best lady." "She didn't like the word 'matron,' explained Takei, "so we changed it."<p>"[The wedding's] going to be a somewhat of a show bizzy, musical comedy oriented," said Takei. "As a matter of fact, our wedding march is going to be 'One Singular Sensation' from 'Chorus Line,' so it might be a little bit 'toutou,' but it's who we are; we love musicals."<p>Takei has been active in the fight for gay marriage. He told the story of a family member who wanted to, but could not marry a Caucasian until the late 1940s. "My aunt, back in the '40s, wanted to marry a Caucasian man, and that couldn't be done until the California Supreme Court declared it equal in 1948, and they're still happily married," said Takei. "At that time, the rallying cry was the purity of the race. Now it's defined as a man or a woman. We're finding out what American democracy really is about. You should marry who you love, not artificially designated by gender."<p>According to Takei, as reported by <A class="link" HREF="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/">The Huffington Post</A>, problems still exist with acceptance of gays, but Takei feels that those problems will be overcome in time. "Now I see legalistic barbed-wire fences incarcerating another group of Americans. It's going to take some time. I know many people are patient, and I sense the impatience...but it will happen, it will eventually happen."<p>What will the marriage certificate give Takei that almost two decades of partnership hasn't? "We've had twenty-one years together," said Takei, "but what that wedding ceremony will do is give us that dignity." <p>To read more, head to the article located <A class="link" HREF="http://www.sovo.com/2008/8-29/arts/feature/9086.cfm">here</A>. Takei can be seen in a video interview located <A class="link" HREF="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tom-gregory/to-boldly-go-where-no-cal_b_124701.html">here</A>.<center></center>


Sounds terrific! All of my best to the happy couple. :D

J.

thumbtack September 12 2008 03:22 PM

Re: Takei Nuptials Approach
 
Quote:

Kpnuts wrote: (Post 2059577)
Especially not multiple posts

I seem to recall an endless stream of posts on John Cho's new baby. And I, for one, do not need to have the reproductive lifestyle shoved down my throat while I'm busily debating whether a hobbit could beat up a ferengi.

Mutai Sho-Rin September 12 2008 06:24 PM

Re: Takei Nuptials Approach
 
Quote:

Kpnuts wrote: (Post 2058811)
Do we hear news reports about any other cast member's relationship status or goings on?

No.

So why must we be over-run with Takei news every week? This is no different. He thinks it's the biggest news since sliced bread, but it really really isn't.

Nothing like the smell of fresh bigotry in the morning.

Samuel T. Cogley September 12 2008 06:33 PM

Re: Takei Nuptials Approach
 
Quote:

Mutai Sho-Rin wrote: (Post 2061504)
Quote:

Kpnuts wrote: (Post 2058811)
Do we hear news reports about any other cast member's relationship status or goings on?

No.

So why must we be over-run with Takei news every week? This is no different. He thinks it's the biggest news since sliced bread, but it really really isn't.

Nothing like the smell of fresh bigotry in the morning.

I don't think he's a bigot. He's just a killjoy. And he can't stand when others 'get too much attention' or are 'having too much fun.'

Interestingly enough, he feels the need to draw attention to himself by complaining that others are getting too much attention. I'll leave that one to the psychologists.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.