The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TrekToday News Items (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   'Star Trek XI' Has Plenty Of Gadgets (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=65498)

TrekToday September 2 2008 09:37 PM

'Star Trek XI' Has Plenty Of Gadgets

While plot details from <i>Star Trek XI</i> are zealously guarded, <font color=yellow>J.J. Abrams</font> and company will freely discuss the <i>Star Trek XI</i> technology.<p>As reported by <A class="link" HREF="http://moviesblog.mtv.com">MTV</A>, Abrams and company are still keeping mum about plot or character details. When asked about moments with the mothers of Kirk and Spock, Abrams said, "The what? What flashbacks? I never said flashbacks. Writer/Producer <font color=yellow>Alex Kurtzman</font> echoed Abrams comments. "We didn't say there were flashbacks."<p>They were willing to discuss gadgets though. "We intentionally don't talk too much about the story," said Producer <font color=yellow>Bryan Burk</font>, "but there's all the gadgets you could want. No replicators," (replicators originated in <i>Star Trek: The Next Generation</i>), "but thereís warp speed and transporter beams and tricorders and communicators and everything you could want. All the gadgets."<p>While the futuristic technology is interesting to fans, to the characters in the show, it's just something ordinary and usual. "It's one thing in 'Star Trek' to get all excited and freak out about communicators, but to them, it's like it's the new iPhone," said Abrams. "These are just the tool they're using."<p>The film is made for the fans who are interested in futuristic technology however, so proper attention is paid to creating the gadgets and getting it right. "We have family members who would disown us if we got any of those wrong," said Writer/Producer <font color=yellow>Roberto Orci</font>. According to Abrams, "The writerís team had 'endless discussions' about how to portray the gadgets, as well as all the other details of 'style' and 'aesthetics.' If you do the bridge of the Enterprise, what does it look like? Does Uhura has the piece in her, or does she not? And if she does, what does it look like? If they have tricorders, what do they look like? Phasers, how do you go from stun to kill, and does anything happen? What does the whole fleet look like? Iím telling you, every day, we were figuring this out, how do we take what we know and love and 'Star Trek' and apply it to a modern audience."<p>Some of the technology will be hidden as "Easter eggs." "There will be appearances of things," said Burk. <p>To read more, head to the article located <A class="link" HREF="http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2008/09/02/jj-abrams-and-star-trek-writers-reveal-film-has-all-the-gadgets-you-could-want/">here</A>.<center></center>

Procutus September 3 2008 01:19 AM

Re: 'Star Trek XI' Has Plenty Of Gadgets

It's great that Team Abrams is willing to discuss said gadgets, but let's see some pix!

:mad:

Admiral Bear September 3 2008 01:40 PM

There aren't a huge amount of food scenes in TOS, but I always thought the Enterprise had replicators. They just wern't called that, or referred to in the scripts. You used to see crew members in the canteen area pull a tacky coloured slide across a space in the wall, and hey presto there was food.

We all know Archer's Enterprise NX-01 had a chef and a galley though. :rolleyes: Chef looked very much like Jonathan Frakes.

I know I'm wrong and that someone will correct me. Please feel free.:techman:

number6 September 3 2008 02:51 PM

You are wrong. There is a drink machine. The food behind the sliding doors was prepared by chef. The food is made with protein resequencers, the precursers to food synthesizers in TOS, but they didn't "magically appear" at all.

T'Cal September 3 2008 03:02 PM

Quote:

Admiral Bear wrote: (Post 2025385)
...We all know Archer's Enterprise NX-01 had a chef and a galley though. :rolleyes: Chef looked very much like Jonathan Frakes....

I didn't see that at all. Frakes is older with less hair that is graying.

T'Cal September 3 2008 03:20 PM

...oh, and if after this film some phone company doesn't make a cellphone that looks just like the communicator, someone's going to be sorry!! I want it with direct connect and everything!!;)

DorkBoy [TM] September 3 2008 05:49 PM

Quote:

"It's one thing in 'Star Trek' to get all excited and freak out about communicators, but to them, it's like it's the new iPhone,"
I've owned an iPhone since the beginning and I am still all excited and freaking out about it. :)

Procutus September 4 2008 10:39 PM

^

I don't own an iPhone, but I'm all psyched about seeing a communicator!

:devil:

Capn Flukie September 5 2008 06:22 PM

Quote:

TrekToday wrote: (Post 2022476)
Does Uhura has the piece in her

So wrong... :lol:

Procutus September 6 2008 12:01 AM

Quote:

Flukie wrote: (Post 2035344)
Quote:

TrekToday wrote: (Post 2022476)
Does Uhura has the piece in her

So wrong... :lol:

That does create some pretty bizarre images, doesn't it?

:evil:

Jack Bauer September 13 2008 08:56 AM

Can't Uhura engage in a little self pleasure? :D