The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Trek Literature (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Picard's 'middle' years (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=65220)

arch101 August 31 2008 08:15 PM

Picard's 'middle' years

Please forgive if this has been discussed before. Are there any novels that cover what Captain Picard did between the loss of the Stargazer and he construction of the Enterprise? While it would seem normal for a Captain who lost his ship to have to do 'shore duty' for awhile (provided that the Court Martial exonerated him of responsibility for the loss), I would think someone with Picard's stellar record on the Stargazer would have gone bonkers. I'm curious how someone like him would be challenged during the several-year break.

Dayton Ward August 31 2008 08:17 PM

Re: Picard's 'middle' years

^ See The Buried Age by Christopher L. Bennett. :)

Idoliside August 31 2008 10:07 PM

Quote:

Dayton Ward wrote: (Post 2013390)
^ See The Buried Age by Christopher L. Bennett. :)

And to further on that, it's a fantastic book. I read the book and then watched "Encounter At Farpoint" and was amazed at how well it fitted to picard's narrative and emotions at the beginning of the journey.

JD September 1 2008 01:32 AM

The Buried Age. Here's some info on the book if you want to check it out.

avsherwood1 September 1 2008 01:47 AM

I've already raved about The Buried Age but I suppose I can rave again - GREAT BOOK!

D Man September 1 2008 02:15 AM

The Buried Age is the best Trek book I've read since Orion's Hounds, no-so-coincidentally also by Cristopher L. Bennett. It fills in those "middle years" and does so in a spectacular fashion.

A related question: are there any books dealing with Picard's time BEFORE he was on the Stargazer? Something post-"Tapestry" perhaps?

Thrawn September 1 2008 05:14 AM

I also have to say The Buried Age is one of the best Trek books ever written. It almost makes TNG 1st season work, though sheer weight of fantastic characterization and backstory. Highly recommended.

HappyDayRiot September 1 2008 04:20 PM

I coincidentally finished The Buried Age this morning, and as such can only say buy it! Buy it NOW!

BryanSorensen September 1 2008 09:42 PM

I agree, this book was awesome and filled in a lot of gaps or questions that i had about Picard and all other factors that went into the loss of the Stargazer

avsherwood1 September 1 2008 10:48 PM

Just saw "The Measure of a Man" today... Picard and Phillipa's interactions we much more enjoyable after reading Buried Age.

arch101 September 7 2008 12:51 AM

Thanks, All. I will pick it up. :)

Saga September 7 2008 11:42 PM

now i feel bad for passing up 'The Buried Age' in favor of King's 'The Regulators'.

leandar September 8 2008 04:46 AM

You must have priorities straight. Trek before everything else, especially horror! LOL!!

Saga September 8 2008 04:52 AM

^ lol. i'm not much for horror aside from King. my cousin got me into Stephen King a year or so ago, its nice to take a break from Trek every once and awhile (right?). I'm going back to the book store Wed. and i'll (most likely) purchase 'The Burried Age'.

arch101 September 21 2008 07:08 PM

OK, finally read 'The Buried Age". It was a masterpiece. I should come here for all book recommendations. Thank You all again!