The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Project: Rooftop (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=64910)

Spaceman Spiff August 29 2008 01:20 AM

Project: Rooftop

Project Rooftop.

I'm sure a lot of our users have already seen it, as it's been around for a couple of years. For those who haven't, the premise is pretty simple: Cartoonists and designers take an established super hero/villain and redesign their costume or concept.

Here are some recent examples:

Superman

Iron Man

Wonder Woman

The Rocketeer

It's one of those superhero sites I sort of take for granted, when it should be shared with lots of comic fans. Got any other links like that?

Starbreaker August 29 2008 01:52 AM

Re: Project: Rooftop

I really like the one that won the Iron Man contest. That's pretty cool.

Mistral August 29 2008 02:37 AM

What a cool site. Thanks Spiff! I'm afraid the only similar site I found was a bit, um, racy. Very racy, in fact. Sorry. Looked around but this is kind of a unique site.

stueyross August 29 2008 10:15 AM

link please? or PM it to me :)

Temis the Vorta August 29 2008 09:11 PM

Quote:

Starbreaker wrote: (Post 2002896)
I really like the one that won the Iron Man contest. That's pretty cool.

Same here. I also like:

Fernando Lucas' concept for the Superman crystal suit. The comments that the execution looks like a chicken suit are on-target, but with a different execution, the idea could be very original. The Superman entries are too samey (and what's with the Keanu Reeves "Jesus" one? :D)

Daniel Krall's more "traditional" take on Wonder Woman - less extreme than the other ancient-Greek costumes, which start to veer away from the idea of her being a modern superhero character.

They shouldn't have bothered with Rocketeer. That is already a very well designed character and the entries really didn't diverge much from the original.

They should try someone like the Sub-Mariner or Ant-Man next. Or Daredevil, there's a guy in dire need of a makeover! :D

For a real challenge: tackle Batman.

Spaceman Spiff August 29 2008 09:21 PM

I think the Rocketeer one was just a tribute to the creator, Dave Stevens, who recently passed away.

Same with Impulse and Mike Wieringo.

Two artists who left us too soon. :(

Mr. Adventure August 29 2008 10:49 PM

Interesting site, I like Ming Doyle's bizarre take on Wonder Woman. Comics are cool because they are so open to reinterpretation.

dragunzng August 30 2008 06:02 AM

Cool, my illustration teacher from college Joel Priddy's been working on this over the summer so I've been following it's progress. He's not really a tights and spandex sort of guy, but I liked his work on The Rocketeer and Wonder Woman.

Spaceman Spiff October 22 2008 10:25 AM

The results of the "Vampirella Revamp" are up, in time for Hallowe'en.

Fair warning, while none of the images really get into R-rated territory, I wouldn't call all of them "worksafe." It is Vampirella, after all.

Winners.

Honorable mentions.

I love the variety they get. From slight updates to complete overhauls, and funny cartoons to reimaginings of the concept.