The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TrekToday News Items (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   My Injury Made Shatner A Star (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=64565)

TrekToday August 26 2008 04:55 AM

My Injury Made Shatner A Star

Veteran actor <font color=yellow>Christopher Plummer</font> is responsible for inadvertently helping <font color=yellow>William Shatner</font> to rise to stardom.<p>As reported by <A class="link" HREF="http://www.contactmusic.com">contactmusic.com</A>, Plummer, best known for his portrayal of Captain von Trapp in <i>The Sound of Music</i>, was sidelined in 1956 when an unexpected injury incurred during a sexual encounter the night before caused him to miss playing his role in <i>Henry V</i>. "I woke up alone the next morning," explained Plummer in his autobiography <i>In Spite of Myself</i>. "...(pain) all around my groin and lower abdomen...I started to whimper like a whipped dog. 'So this is what syphilis is like?' I thought. 'I suppose I deserve it, but Christ, how the hell was I to know?'"<p>It wasn't syphilis that was causing the pain though, but a dislodged kidney stone. Plummer had to go to the hospital where the troublesome stone was removed with a surgical wire. <p>Plummer realized that he would be unable to perform that day in <i>Henry V</i> and that his understudy, a fellow Canadian, would have to take his place. "It began to sink in...Shatner, my understudy, would have to go on...(It) instantly brought back the pain. I screamed for a nurse who jabbed me with more morphine. I knew then that the S.O.B was going to be a 'star.'" <p>Shakespeare would again unite Shatner and Plummer. In <i>Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country</i>, Plummer portrayed General Chang, the Shakespeare-quoting Klingon who sought to destroy James T. Kirk.<p>To read more, head to the article located <A class="link" HREF="http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/article/plummer\%20my\%20sex\%20injury\%20made\%20shatner\ %20a\%20star_1078341">here</A>.<center></center>

number6 August 26 2008 05:09 AM

Re: My Injury Made Shatner A Star

Why oh why?? Christopher Plummer could have been Captain Kirk!!!

Maybe Shatner's constant shagging of go-go booted space babes was his way of rubbing it in to Mr. Plummer!!

Captain Robert April August 26 2008 07:44 AM

Plummer talks about it in one of the extras on the Special Edition of the TUC DVD (although he left out some key details; he only said he was in the hospital).

The kicker was when people started visiting him in the hospital and told him just how great Shatner was (mainly how he was playing the part completely differently than how Plummer had been doing it), giving Plummer added incentive to get healthy and reclaim his rightful place.

cubbie August 26 2008 10:52 AM

This is a great story about Plummer :lol:

Pioneer August 26 2008 12:51 PM

Quote:

Captain Robert April wrote: (Post 1990388)
Plummer talks about it in one of the extras on the Special Edition of the TUC DVD (although he left out some key details; he only said he was in the hospital).

The kicker was when people started visiting him in the hospital and told him just how great Shatner was (mainly how he was playing the part completely differently than how Plummer had been doing it), giving Plummer added incentive to get healthy and reclaim his rightful place.

I ... wonder ... if ... Shatner's delivery was ... anything ... like he did on ... Star Trek? :lol: The pain! The pain!

DorkBoy [TM] August 26 2008 01:28 PM

Ouch! Too much information! :lol:

Photoman15 August 26 2008 01:36 PM

How does one make the jump that Plummer would have been Captain Kirk. The only assumption that can be made from this story is that William Shatner would not have been as well known when GR was (re-)casting TREK and he probably would have picked someone else (like Lloyd Bridges).

Jim Steele August 26 2008 01:38 PM

Quote:

Photoman15 wrote: (Post 1990942)
How does one make the jump that Plummer would have been Captain Kirk.

I don't think anyone did, outside of jest.

Lindley August 26 2008 03:16 PM

Captain von Trapp is General Chang?

Jeez, next you'll be telling me that Qui-Gon Jinn is Oskar Schindler....

Evil Headhunter August 26 2008 06:16 PM

Wow, that's an awesome story. :lol:

Starbreaker August 26 2008 07:16 PM

Since I didn't read the whole story, can I just start a rumor that Christopher Plummer gave William Shatner syphilis?

number6 August 26 2008 07:59 PM

Quote:

Photoman15 wrote: (Post 1990942)
How does one make the jump that Plummer would have been Captain Kirk. The only assumption that can be made from this story is that William Shatner would not have been as well known when GR was (re-)casting TREK and he probably would have picked someone else (like Lloyd Bridges).

They were totally ready to sign Christopher Plummer as Captain Kirk, but Plummer had a clause that Shatner had to be his understudy. The night before he had to go and shoot WNMHGB he caught a nasty case of crabs from the key grip's daughter and Shatner got the call. True story. Swear on a hunk of Bibles and such!!

Temis the Vorta August 26 2008 09:26 PM

I love it when people get to the I-Don't-Give-A-Fuck stage of their lives and start spinning stories. :rommie:

number6 August 26 2008 10:49 PM

Quote:

Temis the Vorta wrote: (Post 1992677)
I love it when people get to the I-Don't-Give-A-Fuck stage of their lives and start spinning stories. :rommie:

i just turned I-Don't-Give-A-Fuck last year.

Maab of the Ten Tribes August 27 2008 05:12 PM

"So this is what syphilis is like?"

Classic line there Plummer.