The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   MARVELS 2 IS A GO!!! (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=64398)

captcalhoun August 24 2008 07:05 PM

MARVELS 2 IS A GO!!!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=17824

come December, at any rate...

George Steinbrenner August 24 2008 07:08 PM

Re: MARVELS 2 IS A GO!!!

Guess there can't be a Ruins 2, eh? ;)

Christopher August 24 2008 09:45 PM

I don't know if I can accept the idea of a Marvels sequel without Alex Ross.

captcalhoun August 24 2008 09:46 PM

i can

RookieBatman August 24 2008 11:19 PM

I'm not into the whole painting-as-comicbook-art thing in the first place, so I've never really understood why people are so excited with Ross's stuff.

Broccoli August 25 2008 12:18 AM

Didn't they already make this?

Titus Andronicus August 25 2008 02:38 AM

I have to say I'm very excited about this. Although I'd like to see Alex Ross work on it, I think that I can still enjoy this story without him. I'd love to see a DC version of this story, though.

Christopher August 25 2008 03:18 AM

The thing that bugs me is the chronology. In the Marvel comics of the '60s, they more or less followed real time, or at least came closer than they do now; Peter Parker started out in high school and was going to college within a few years thereafter. And of course they treated their '40s comics as having taken place in the '40s. So it was possible to do Marvels as a period piece spanning the '40s through the '60s and have it hold together. (And in answer to RookieBatman, that was part of the appeal of Ross's photorealistic artwork; that plus the chronology gave the whole thing a sense of reality, of authenticity, like it was a living history.)

But by the '70s and '80s, we were deep into "Marvel time," where the characters barely aged and their past was on a "sliding time scale." Decades passed in the real world while only a few years passed for the characters, and their origins had already been retconned forward in time. So I don't see how this sequel can have quite the same sense of historical authenticity and internal consistency as the original.

The Dead Mixer August 25 2008 03:48 AM

^I was thinking the same thing.

I also wasn't too impressed with the one image on that page. It looked like a very traditional "comic booky" Spidey action pose. Ross did a great job translating what was on the pages of the original comics into something more naturalistic looking.

Tomato August 25 2008 03:49 PM

No Alex Ross :(

Mistral August 25 2008 03:59 PM

I haven't bought a comic in 10 years-looks like that is all about to change...

I have the original issues and the numbered hardbound compilation signed by Busiek and Ross. I've got #0. I can't pass this up.

Titus Andronicus August 25 2008 07:05 PM

Christopher, you do make an excellent point about the chronology of the story. Hopefully there will be a great way to still tell this story without making people confused over the telling of the story.

Nedersong August 25 2008 07:26 PM

Oh no, they'll just rewrite it all to hell. They always do for the movies and have done so for every single marvel movie that has come out.

For some unknown and completely asinin reason, what's seen in the comics just can't under absolutely any circumstances be translated over to the big screen, despite the commercial success many of these movies have had.

captcalhoun August 25 2008 07:40 PM

what have movies got to do with this comic-book?

Nedersong August 25 2008 08:04 PM

Just messing with ya.

:devil: