The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   General Trek Discussion (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Spock vs Q (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=64366)

Nedersong August 24 2008 07:24 AM

Spock vs Q
 
Have you ever heard this this? What did you think?

Personally I enjoyed it.



Spoilers


5


4


3


2


1


Spock traveled in time to the current cnetury and is on stage addressing the audience when Q shows up and hilarity ensues.

He even gets spock to tell a joke. A very bad one, but a joke nonetheless.

And Spock tricks Q in the end to reveal the true purpose of them both being there.

Overall I give it a B.

TGTheodore August 24 2008 09:02 AM

Re: Spock vs Q
 
I just wish they'd record "House Call" with Bob Picardo and Ethan Phillips. :D

--Ted

Lonemagpie August 24 2008 10:42 AM

Re: Spock vs Q
 
It's OK. A harmless and amusing diversion for an hour or so

OmahaStar August 24 2008 11:32 AM

Re: Spock vs Q
 
Quote:

TG Theodore wrote: (Post 1982691)
I just wish they'd record "House Call" with Bob Picardo and Ethan Phillips. :D

--Ted

When I asked Robert about that several years ago, he said by contract they can't record it, only perform it live. Has that changed?

Steve Roby August 24 2008 04:17 PM

Re: Spock vs Q
 
I've heard both Spock vs Q audios. Mildly amusing, with an overwhelming sense of "you really had to be there" for the most part.

TGTheodore August 24 2008 08:03 PM

Re: Spock vs Q
 
Quote:

OmahaStar wrote: (Post 1982785)
Quote:

TG Theodore wrote: (Post 1982691)
I just wish they'd record "House Call" with Bob Picardo and Ethan Phillips. :D

--Ted

When I asked Robert about that several years ago, he said by contract they can't record it, only perform it live. Has that changed?

Probably not. Just wishful thinking on my part (as the third author...)

And it should definitely be recorded during a live performance. Of course their ad-libs might cause a ton of legal problems. ;)

--Ted

Lonemagpie August 25 2008 01:00 PM

Re: Spock vs Q
 
Quote:

Steve Roby wrote: (Post 1983183)
I've heard both Spock vs Q audios. Mildly amusing, with an overwhelming sense of "you really had to be there" for the most part.


There's a second one?

Dayton Ward August 25 2008 02:19 PM

Re: Spock vs Q
 
Quote:

Steve Roby wrote: (Post 1983183)
I've heard both Spock vs Q audios. Mildly amusing, with an overwhelming sense of "you really had to be there" for the most part.

Yep. I enjoyed them more when I saw them performed live. They recorded the sequel at a con here in KC, but they performed the first one beforehand. Many of the jokes require you to see their facial expressions and body language for them to work best.

Steve Roby August 25 2008 02:29 PM

Re: Spock vs Q
 
Quote:

Lonemagpie wrote: (Post 1986531)
There's a second one?

Yep. Spock Vs Q: The Sequel.

Quote:

Dayton Ward wrote: (Post 1986678)
Many of the jokes require you to see their facial expressions and body language for them to work best.

Yeah, there were a lot of times I was listening and wondering what's so damn funny? The taped audience was getting a lot more from the experience than I was. The scripts didn't impress me much, so it's all about the performance, and with audio only, a major part of the performance is missing.

JustKate August 25 2008 06:28 PM

Re: Spock vs Q
 
I feel s-o-o-o-o-o delightfully geeky! I don't know if they (and yes, there are two) are still available or not, but they used to be because I've got them on CD. The first is called Star Trek: Spock vs. Q and the second Star Trek: Spock vs. Q -- The Sequel.

My copies are from Simon & Schuster Audio and they are productions of a Nimoy-de Lancie company called Alien Voices.

I also have a third title from the same production company that is a dramatization of Journey to the Center of the Earth (starring Nimoy, de Lancie, and Roxann Dawson, among others). This one is still available from Amazon -- I haven't taken the time to look for the others....googling, googling...Ooh, I just found this:
http://members.tripod.com/~maryjensen/alienvoices/

It looks like I need to do a little shopping...

Therin of Andor August 26 2008 09:17 AM

Re: Spock vs Q
 
Quote:

Steve Roby wrote: (Post 1986696)
The scripts didn't impress me much, so it's all about the performance, and with audio only, a major part of the performance is missing.

There is also "The Spock vs Q Collection" boxed set, which has a third disk in the box, containing "Special enhanced CD with video footage" of the live performance. highlights only, i assume. Never actually played this third disk.

Therin of Andor August 26 2008 09:30 AM

Re: Spock vs Q
 
Quote:

JustKate wrote: (Post 1987515)

Apart from the two "Spock vs Q" and the five SF classic titles mentioned on that "Alien Voices" site, of related interest is:

"War of the Worlds", adapted from the HG Wells novel by Howard Koch, directed by John de Lancie. Featuring Leonard Nimoy, Jerry Hardin, Gates McFadden, Dwight Schultz, Armin Shimerman, Brent Spiner and Wil Wheaton.

70 mins, L.A. Theatre Works.

Amy Sisson August 26 2008 06:19 PM

Re: Spock vs Q
 
One of the productions was filmed at the same time it was recorded, and aired on the Sci Fi Channel. This was many years ago, of course.... It was really neat seeing how they produced the various sound effects. I don't remember which production it was.

I've also since listened to AlienVoices' Lost World productions and really enjoyed it (although Roxann Dawson kept doing this really weird voice inflection throughout....). I also listened to the first Spock vs. Q, and found the humor a bit weak, doubtless due to the lack of visual cues that people have already mentioned.

Dayton Ward August 26 2008 06:49 PM

Re: Spock vs Q
 
^ I think that may have bee First Men In the Moon. Wasn't that the one that had Shatner as a "guest voice?"

Sector 7 August 26 2008 10:02 PM

Re: Spock vs Q
 
Quote:

Dayton Ward wrote: (Post 1991834)
^ I think that may have bee First Men In the Moon. Wasn't that the one that had Shatner as a "guest voice?"

Shatner doesn't do cameos... are you sure it was him? :guffaw::guffaw:


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.